Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,591 times

Advertisements

Yes, both my grandparents.

It was so bad that in the 1970s they had their kids taken away for a couple of years and put into foster homes.

My grandparents have been divorced since the '70s, but are both still alive and for a long time, would keep light beer in the fridge. My grandma still does. And she no longer hangs out at bars. She had a problem into the 1990s. She's pretty straight now.

Once in the late '80s or early '90s, my grandpa checked into a rehab and was separated from his second wife because of his excessive drinking. But it was never so bad during his second marriage that he couldn't function at work or anything like that. It just reached a boiling point where it affected his marriage a bit too much. But it got better after rehab. Once in a blue moon, when he had a bit too much, he'd get a bit too honest with you. And as long as I've known him, he's never been an "obvious" drunk. Not like my grandma, who gets mean. He just gets more blunt and likes to lecture you. haha! If you didn't know his "drunk" personality, you just assumed he was a bit of a jackass sometimes. haha! But he's now found religion, and no longer smokes or drinks. Now he's just passive-aggressive sometimes, if he doesn't approve of your life. ()
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
No. I have HAD two alcoholic friends. They were among my favorite friends, when sober, because they were really astute and had a lot to say. They were jerks when drunk. Additionally, I have heard that addiction and selfishness are two sides of the same coin. Again, these two were clearly among the most selfish friends I've ever had.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times
so what is the best way of staying sober, for an ex-alcoholic?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Have any of you personally gotten past the 'phenomenon of craving' problem and moderated your drinking? Or do you know somebody who you've observed do so successfully?

I don't mean drinking successfully a few times in a row and then losing it and binging or otherwise drinking heavily, but rather having gone from drinking alcoholically and being driven by the 'phenomenon of craving', to being able to 'take it or leave it', not drink every single day, and not binging when you do drink.
No. In my 23 years of being sober, I think I've only seen one person do that, and I think the only reason he was successful, is because he had a major spiritual awakening as a Christian. I don't think "Sam" has ever drank again.

So in answer to your question, only one who did not drink again. I've never seen any full blown alcoholic return to drinking in moderation...I don't count dry drunks.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Is a 'binge drinker' - one who doesn't feel the need to drink everyday or all the time, but when they do binges - an alcoholic?
Yes. I was a binge drinker. I was a "responsible" alcoholic vs my irresponsible ex who drank all the time! I drank after work, on weekends, on vacations. NEVER during work. Sure the night before work, so if my Ba was checked in the morning, I was sure to still be high. When I drank, I drank to get drunk. I could not stop. I never blacked out. I always remembered everything. lol. My world revolved around the next drunk, buzz, whatever it took to take me to that place of being numb. Sure I'd do things, sports, hang with friends, but it always involved drinking & getting drunk.

I was absolutely an alcoholic

Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
It's just odd that alcoholism is called a 'disease', but it isn't so clear cut like others. I mean, I don't know if it happens, but I've never heard of a doctor actually diagnosing alcoholism.
Quote:
Alcoholism is considered an official disease according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the standard classification of mental disorders used by mental health professionals in the United States. It is also a necessary tool for collecting and communicating accurate public health statistics.
The DSM consists of three major components: the diagnostic classification, the diagnostic criteria sets, and the descriptive text. DSM | psychiatry.org
So, this is how the psychiatrists or treatment centers code your diagnosis for billing either you or your insurance.

Looking further into the DSM, we see that alcoholism (or substance abuse) is considered a Psychiatric Disorder: Substance Related Disorders at ALLPSYCH Online

All the addiction medicine doctors (& yes, it's a specialized field of practice with certification), and any health practitioner savvy in addiction medicine diagnose alcoholism.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 AM

for sure, I would call alcoholism to be a 'mental disorder' - and most long term drinkers tend to be 'binge drinkers' IMO.

but it's a mental disorder that can be reversed with willpower!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
for sure, I would call alcoholism to be a 'mental disorder' - and most long term drinkers tend to be 'binge drinkers' IMO.

but it's a mental disorder that can be reversed with willpower!
Not in my case. Not for any alcoholic I know! And I've been around this thing for many years.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 AM

not sure which part of my post you are referring to ?

but the willpower part, then yes - it can be done!

I see alcoholism as a temporary , acquired mental illness that can be de-activated as long as the user stays away from the first drink

Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
not sure which part of my post you are referring to ?

but the willpower part, then yes - it can be done!

I see alcoholism as a temporary , acquired mental illness that can be de-activated as long as the user stays away from the first drink
That's an interesting take and I sort of see what you're saying, but I have a hard time thinking of somebody who can't have a drink or two without some sort of alcoholic reaction to be an alcoholic - even if they don't pick up another drink to put said reaction into motion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology