Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do self-described gay men have any attraction to women?
No, stupid. That's what it means to be gay. 4 25.00%
No. 5 31.25%
If they have male qualities, perhaps. 0 0%
I much prefer men, but have a mild attraction to women. 5 31.25%
I'm lazy and go after whatever's easiest. 1 6.25%
I like women better. I shouldn't have responded. Too late. 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 AM

798 posts, read 1,460,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Uh, nope! That line of thinking was dismissed by mental health professionals over 40 years ago
APA (American Psychiatric Asotiation) removed homosexuality for political, not psychiatric issues.

a testimony of an ex-activist-reveals gay Psychiatric Association removed homosexuality from its list of psychiatric disorders not studies, but by pressures and political issues of gay activists. One of the psychiatrists who supported this policy decision, Dr. Robert Spitzer,declares that made a serious error and presents a study called "Sexual Reorientation Therapy for Gays".
Understandably and based on this information, the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) homosexuality included in the list of mental disorders. However,in 1973, homosexuality was removed from the DSM in the midst of what U.S. Congressman W. Dannemeyer named "one of the most depressing stories in the annals of modern medicine."

When Irving Bieber, a famous authority on transsexualism and homosexuality, was conducting a seminar on the subject, a group of gay activists stormed the campus to oppose their exposure. While laughing at his words and made fun of his exhibition, one of the gay activists shouted: "I read your book, Dr. Bieber,and if that book talk about how blacks speaking of homosexuals would drag you and you and you deserve to machacarían. "racism match with the medical diagnosis was pure demagoguery, and it is therefore not surprising that the present express their displeasure to this demonstration of force.

However,gay obstructionism to exhibitions of psychiatrists only just beginning. When Nathaniel McConaghy Australian psychiatrist concerned the use of "aversive conditioning techniques" to treat homosexuality, gay activists began throwing shouts calling him a "sadistic" and calling such action "torture".Even one stood up and said, "Where are you living, in Auchswitz?".
Then the protesters indicated their desire to intervene saying they had waited five thousand years while one of them began to read a list of "demands gays".While militant accused psychiatrists that his profession was "an instrument of oppression and torture," most doctors left the room angry. However, not everyone thought so.
In fact, some psychiatrists gays pressures found in unexpected incentives. Dr. Kent Robinson, for example,interviewed Larry Littlejohn, one of the gay leaders, and confessed that he believed that such tactics were necessary because the APA systematically refused to let gays militants appear in the official program. Then went to John Ewing, chairman of the programming committee,and said that it would be giving in to the claims of gays because otherwise "would not only break a part" of the annual meeting of the APA.
According to the testimony of Bayer, "noting the coercive terms of the request, quickly accepted Ewing stipulating only that, according to the rules of the APA convention,a psychiatrist had to preside over the session proposal. "suspected that the APA who faced from the fact that a hired security experts to prevent more demonstrations of gay violence. no avail.

On May 3, 1971,a group of gay activists stormed the meeting of psychiatrists of the year and its leader, after taking over the microphone, I blurted out that they had no right to discuss the issue of homosexuality and added: "You can take this as a declaration of war against you ". As referred Bayer,gays were served following false credentials to flood the venue and threatened those who were in charge of the exhibition on homosexuality treatments to destroy all the material if not come to withdraw immediately.

Then began a panel developed by five gay activists who defended homosexuality as a lifestyle and attacked psychiatry as "the most dangerous enemy of homosexuals in contemporary society." Since the vast majority of psychiatrists could be more or less competent,but certainly neither was accustomed to their patients tell them what to do and was characterized by the dominance of violent pressure tactics of organized groups, the gay lobby's victory was resounding.

In fact, by 1972, had been imposed as a must at the annual meeting of the APA.The following year was the great offensive to the APA DSM erase the mention of homosexuality. The papers of psychiatrists specializing in this area as Spitzer, Socarides,McDevitt were drowned Bieber or reducing their exposure time to a ridiculous fifteen minutes while gay leaders and a psychiatrist engaged politically correct statements to the press in which they announced that "doctors decide that homosexuals are not abnormal."
Finally, the alliance of Kent Robinson,the gay lobby and Judd Marmor, who aspired to be elected president of the APA, submitted for discussion a document whose purpose was to remove the mention of homosexuality from the DSM.

Approval, despite the propaganda and pressure, did not get more than 58 percent of the vote. It was undoubtedlya qualified majority to a political decision but a bit overwhelming for a scientific analysis of a medical problem. However, much of the APA members were not willing to surrender to what they considered intolerable and intrusive violent gay militancy. In 1980,DSM mental disorders included among a new gay character ailment known as ego-dystonic. With the term refers to that had homosexuality while, causing a persistent despite the suffered.

Actually, it was a compromise to appease the psychiatrists -most psychoanalysts, who still considered homosexuality a mental illness and they considered a medical and moral obligation to provide appropriate treatment to those who suffered. It was a mere temporary victory against gay influence.

In 1986,gay activists managed to expel the new DSM that ailment and even obtain a new triumph to make pedophilia also excluded from the list of psychological disorders. In the United States, at least statutorily, homosexuality, and pedophilia-had ceased to be a treatable psychiatric condition.

A separate issue is that thousands of psychiatrists accept that step because the reality is that to date have continued to insist that political ideology-in this case the gay movement, can not make their decisions on science and that,have consented to the APA, such behavior has only served to deprive patients of treatment they needed.

They think what they think about it-and the lack of medical unanimity should be a good reason to opt for caution regarding the opinions sharp-the truth was that the final decision stating that homosexuality was not a psychological disorder had been based more on political action and not of the best kind-that in a scientific consideration of the evidence. Therefore, ethical and scientifically not unlike, therefore,historical aberration as the Galileo or the purges conducted by Lysenko.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 AM

More beyond than that the American Psychological Association (APA) has released its “Task Force Report on Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation” , a report issued by five psychologists and one psychiatrist who are all on record as supporting gay causes and rejected highly-qualified candidates and experts in the area of human sexuality, particularly homosexuality and moral debates.

The fact that the Task Force was composed entirely of activists in gay causes, most of whom are publicly self-identified as gay, goes a long way toward explaining their failure to be scientifically objective

Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 AM

Default YOU included Sr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Uh, nope! That line of thinking was dismissed by mental health professionals over 40 years ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I love how some people just have certain people summed up in some old dusty text book. They have no idea on who these people are and probably have never actually meet one before but they just seem to know. What about those stories about drunken straight men who have gay sex. What about sober straight women who have lesbian sex. Some people think they know something but in reality they know nothing.
You really need to read "unbiased" no pro-gay facts about homosexuality.
Alcohol is a well-known helper to lose his inhibitions. He always got same sex attraction all the time. And in regarding women who deliberated turn to women is more a emotional aspect like men's deception. There is not homosexual gen or chromosome or akin. It's all about trying to solve old wounds by the progenitor of the same sex through a symbolic same sex act. These phenomenon is presented especially on hypersensitive ppl who stems from dysfunctional families.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:38 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
You really need to read "unbiased" no pro-gay facts about homosexuality.
Alcohol is a well-known helper to lose his inhibitions. He always got same sex attraction all the time. And in regarding women who deliberated turn to women is more a emotional aspect like men's deception. There is not homosexual gen or chromosome or akin. It's all about trying to solve old wounds by the progenitor of the same sex through a symbolic same sex act. These phenomenon is presented especially on hypersensitive ppl who stems from dysfunctional families.
Cool story bro.

Your theory however shows no signs of objectivity, given you dismiss the past 40+ years of science as 'pro-gay propaganda.'

Back to the 21st century and the OP's question, I think a lot of gay men are able to appreciate women's beauty, but not necessarily in a sexual way. That's why there are so many gay hairstylists, designers, etc.

If the poll were still open, I'd opt for #4. I joke around that when I'm drunk I become 'bi-curious' and I have occasionally made out with women. I've never had sex with a woman and I don't intend to, because I just know it's not the way I'm wired. Dad spent too much time at work, I suppose.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
All kinds!
I'm sure it falls along the lines of Heteros, male and female experimenting at a young age. Theres plenty of Gay men who had been with women before they came out and obviously were able to get excited with their female lovers. Personally, I would say they are high Kinsey scale Bi-sexuals but they can call theirselves what they want. I have a couple of Bi-sexual lady friends that have been living together as a couple and anyone would swear they are Lesbians but they are not.

Human sexuality takes all forms, much of the Gay and Hetero standard lines don't apply to all people. Just a few years ago Bisexuals were viewed as Gays in denial by many from both sides and still are in some circles. There are people that have suffered psychological trauma that has lead to GID but you can't talk about it, so non PC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology