Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 12:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times

Advertisements

Young people are the ones who start families (well, some people become parents later, but it's generally unwise). Also, less obviously, romantic struggles (likely with other factors) can so depress some young men that it damages them academically or professionally, sometimes permanently so. (Some Queen of Sympathy will say that men shouldn't react that way.) Case in point - if Elliot Rodger had been able to focus on his studies, he probably wouldn't have exploded. Another concern is criminality, which is mostly a young male thing. I believe the general taming (or comforting) effect of marriage reduces that in young men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Young people are the ones who start families (well, some people become parents later, but it's generally unwise). Also, less obviously, romantic struggles (likely with other factors) can so depress some young men that it damages them academically or professionally, sometimes permanently so. (Some Queen of Sympathy will say that men shouldn't react that way.) Case in point - if Elliot Rodger had been able to focus on his studies, he probably wouldn't have exploded. Another concern is criminality, which is mostly a young male thing. I believe the general taming (or comforting) effect of marriage reduces that in young men.
So? Society doesn't need to care here. Society doesn't need all young people breeding. In fact we could stand to have less breeding. There is no advantage to society to care whether childless 25 yo's have SO's. There is a societal advantage to seeing parents parenting in pairs and older people who might otherwise become a burden on society relying on a SO instead of society. What the young set is doing is really neither here nor there unless they were to stop breeding altogether. THAT would be a problem. Also, over breeding would be a problem. As long as we're reasonable here we're good.

There is no shortage of therapists to help the depressed.

You'll have to support your claim that romantic struggles cause depression. Got any studies to show that? I'd hazard a guess that it's more likely the other way around. Depression causing romantic struggles.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Because in all likelihood there are more single young men than single young women, and bluntly the older people get the less anyone cares about their romantic status (their so-called Sexual Mate Value drops). Only among old people are there more single women than single men, and that has already been told to you. Also, on behalf of men, I know how we think, and (with very few exceptions) we hate being devoid of romantic or sexual relations for long periods. Further on behalf of men, we're sick of the bogus arguments.

By the way, in hindsight, I prefer "psychological genocide." Many men are being internally obliterated with the realization that they're unlikely to ever have satisfying romantic relations with women. But it's clear that many women in this thread do not give a darn about men's feelings.

I will cheer when some of the vicious posts are deleted and only wish I could see the infractions issued. For the record, I know what I look like and could get a date (or sleazy encounter) with an attractive woman if I cared only about appearance, so buzz off to the haters.
You're the one bemoaning the state of kissless virgins. Apparently you're one by choice.

What, exactly, is your beef here? You could date an attractive woman if you wanted to, so obviously you've chosen not to. Why?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretomove2014 View Post
I'm not commenting on the morality or justice of it, however I am under the impression that it is less common than the other way around. On average women date men 7 years older I believe. It skews the numbers...
It may be less common, but that's changing. More young guys are going for older women these days. It's the older women who tend to prefer men near their age. They usually have to be persuaded to give the young guy a chance.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretomove2014 View Post
I'm not commenting on the morality or justice of it, however I am under the impression that it is less common than the other way around. On average women date men 7 years older I believe. It skews the numbers...
How does this skew the numbers? Women are choosing from a pool of men up to 7 years older than they are and men are choosing from a pool of women up to 7 years younger than they are? What's skewed here? Given that there are fewer and fewer available men as you go up in age, this should work out in favor of younger men.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You're the one bemoaning the state of kissless virgins. Apparently you're one by choice.

What, exactly, is your beef here? You could date an attractive woman if you wanted to, so obviously you've chosen not to. Why?
Good question. Why is someone who is single by choice so worried about people who can't get a date?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Should MEN date female virgins for the protection of society?

No, because female virgins aren't going to SHOOT UP A STREET because they can't have what they think they want.

Much much easier to introduce some sensible gun laws...........one would think...........?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

No, because female virgins aren't going to SHOOT UP A STREET because they can't have what they think they want.

Much much easier to introduce some sensible gun laws...........one would think...........?
Actually I was thinking castration to get rid of the anger management issues.... The world needs more eunuchs.

I find it interesting that women can have the same issue and not even think about shooting up the streets. Yet we're told that WOMEN are to blame when men do. Um, no. The men who do so are to blame. It's always someone else's fault.

I spent many a dateless night home in my younger days and I knew damned well why. I just wasn't born pretty enough. It sucks but it was what it was. I knew I'd have a harder time finding a boyfriend because of my looks. So I tried to be patient. I couldn't change my genes but I could work on my personality (I tend to be an introvert) so that's what I did. I got out there and forced myself to be sociable.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
I am not without any romantic success. Why would I care about the total failures? Well, for one, it took a long time and I had to work hard and some social changes might benefit me, but mainly it's my psychology that likes to take charge on issues like this.

I actually agree that overpopulation is a problem and crudely that society ought to be pleased that many people aren't breeding. I even believe that many of the "kissless virgins" are men who shouldn't pass on their genes. But it's cruel and socially destabilizing to support that.

There's much too much dancing around the fact that many men are hurting over romantic struggles and handle it worse than women do. While there is a Google to show that suicides (at least those by males) often are spurred by breakups, I hardly need to present anything, for I'm stating common sense. As for therapy, it is not cosmetic surgery or dating coaching and, for example, seemed to do Elliot Rodger no good (the mental health industry has little incentive to publish data showing its ineffectiveness in that common scenario). I believe, like the song "Don't Give Up" that happened to come on while thinking of a reply, that romantically women sometimes serve as anti-depressants for men, grounding them in something good in a world that often is harsh.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:57 PM

19,633 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

They might release hordes of cats into the street to wreak havoc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology