Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
This in particular is completely false. You realize that she gets his youthful years upfront and she cares for him when they're aged too, right? Many women are caregivers for their terminally ill husbands, because women live longer on average.
Female youth is a lot more important to their attractiveness, owing to their ephemeral fertility. A man, on the other hand, can go on enjoying social status and providing money for life. Women thus decline in value more precipitously with age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
A lot of crazy people are right about a lot of things. That's probably part of why they're so crazy. The unibomber was an unhinged genius and had some poignant points, as another example. So what?

I know why you persist in believing they're falsehoods. That's easy. It keeps you happy. But I was never one to have that wall between my perception and reality. I've suffered for it, as others have. Oh well.
Have you ever considered seeing a therapist?

Why do you avoid all questions about yourself personally?

You are angry that you can't find a date. But why do you think you can't find one?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Female youth is a lot more important to their attractiveness, owing to their ephemeral fertility. A man, on the other hand, can go on enjoying social status and providing money for life. Women thus decline in value more precipitously with age.
That is faulty thinking in that it assumes that men and women in relationships are merely objects to one another. That assumption is false.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Have you ever considered seeing a therapist?

Why do you avoid all questions about yourself personally?

You are angry that you can't find a date. But why do you think you can't find one?
Why? So he can tell me it was all a dream and the official line about things is actually true?

Whether I personally can "get a date" is irrelevant. I do worse with women than the winners (by far, owing to the lopsided dichotomy), but better than most of the losers (for which I can thank my height, reasonable good looks, lack of poverty and not actually being nice, I guess), fwiw. Which is very little, because it doesn't matter. I'm angry about far more than something that's so petty even within the framework of my own life.

Last edited by tairos; 05-29-2014 at 12:26 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
That is faulty thinking in that it assumes that men and women in relationships are merely objects to one another. That assumption is false.
Your idealism is quaint, but that's exactly what they are to each other. Men perhaps have some sentimentality that takes the edge off of cold calculation, but women sure don't seem to.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Your idealism is quaint, but that's exactly what they are to each other. Men perhaps have some sentimentality that takes the edge off of cold calculation, but women sure don't seem to.
That is completely false. You need to talk to a therapist. Really.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Why? So he can tell me it was all a dream and the official line about things is actually true?

Whether I personally can "get a date" is irrelevant. I do worse with women than the winners (by far, owing to the lopsided dichotomy), but better than most of the losers, fwiw. Which is very little, because it doesn't matter. I'm angry about far more than something that's so petty even within the framework of my own life.
You need to talk to a therapist about all the things you are angry about. She (or he) could help you with that. Anger hurts, man..

Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Tairos, I live in Los Angeles, so of course I see pretty young women with icky old (rich) men all the time. I pity the girls, because money really isn't everything. I couldn't imagine having to snuggle up with some old geezer just because he's willing to buy me clothes and a car. Yuck. And I realize the men living that lifestyle couldn't care less, but it would really bother me to think that someone is with me only for what I could buy them, that they didn't care about me as person at all. It's not a fulfilling way to live; it's a very empty, cold existence.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
That is completely false. You need to talk to a therapist. Really.
Or better yet, visit some old couples where one is the caregiver for the other. Read up on the experiences of Alzheimers caregivers who sacrificed their own health to care for a terminally ill spouse.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Tairos, I live in Los Angeles, so of course I see pretty young women with icky old (rich) men all the time. I pity the girls, because money really isn't everything. I couldn't imagine having to snuggle up with some old geezer just because he's willing to buy me clothes and a car. Yuck. And I realize the men living that lifestyle couldn't care less, but it would really bother me to think that someone is with me only for what I could buy them, that they didn't care about me as person at all. It's not a fulfilling way to live; it's a very empty, cold existence.
Life itself is an empty, cold thing. But, I don't blame you for wanting to believe otherwise. Like I said, I never had the filter or whatever that allowed for that. I really should get less upset at people for wanting to make their time on this earth seem a bit less hollow and despondent. It's at least as valid a coping device as substance abuse, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology