Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 04:59 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times

Advertisements

Desist-or you'll take your football and go home ??

Then take your football and go home because people aren't agreeing with you. You're supporting a mass murderer ! You expect people to agree with you ? People are trying to explain to you why this killer had rotten thinking. You're on an internet forum- people don't have to agree with you. I don't expect people to agree with me and I don't sulk if they don't.

See, the thing is, you believe, as did Elliot Rodger, that the way to get women is to impress them. He tried an expensive car, $ 200 sunglasses, etc.and it didn't work, did it ? Women aren't looking to be impressed .

He wasn't willing to listen to his numerous therapists, etc. He was too wrapped up in himself to address successfully his issues. Instead, he lived in his head and only on those internet forums that reinforced his maladaptive thinking. Not wise moves.

You simply cannot blame society for mass murder .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:01 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I don't have patience for posts accusing me of this and that. I'm not a young man and am not talking about myself. I am not seeking a female possession. Desist, or that will lead to getting the thread closed.

The thing here, the underlying tragedy of the "kissless virgin" becoming a killer, is that too many young men aren't treated as worthwhile by women or society in general. Heck, he even rightly suggested that men value their pals less as they become interested in females, or I could argue, fall away due to having to put too much time and energy into pursuing hard-to-impress females.
Do you think men who view women as stereotypes and objects that have no worth other than their looks and get less valuable as they get older deserve to be treated as worthwhile?

Because that's Elliot Roger and a few other people on this thread. If you find yourself agreeing with them, well...

Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I definitely agree that we do owe it to others to treat them as we expect to be treated, both for our own benefit and the benefit of others. I'm not saying the default relationship status should be antagonistic or we should be jerks to one another just because we can.

The problem is people like Elliot Roger (and tairos, and a few other people in this thread) who see women not as people who sharing time with and getting to know is its own reward, but prizes they're owed just for showing up equipped with a penis. And when those objects don't behave like they think they should, they act like a child with a broken toy. The idea that a woman's value is somehow decreased because she gets older or previously slept with other men (who are somehow inferior to them) is particularly telling.
Agreed. They are immature.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You are generalizing and objectifying men with that kind of statement. I don't look for men to provide me with things, or be my caretaker. Not all women are like that.
I'm telling you how it is. We are biologically programmed to reproduce. Women seek a mate who will make a good father because he might just become one. We may not do this intentionally but it's part of our wiring to look out for our potential future offspring beit by selecting mates with characteristics that we'd like to pass on to our kids or selecting mates who will stand by us and help us raise our children.

Few women are attracted to a guy with no ambition who sits on the couch all day playing video games.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm telling you how it is. We are biologically programmed to reproduce. Women seek a mate who will make a good father because he might just become one. We may not do this intentionally but it's part of our wiring to look out for our potential future offspring beit by selecting mates with characteristics that we'd like to pass on to our kids or selecting mates who will stand by us and help us raise our children.

Few women are attracted to a guy with no ambition who sits on the couch all day playing video games.
Very few do but it does happen. There are women out there who are damaged like their male counterparts as I've seen many unambitious dead beats have children many of them illegitimate.

That's why I simply don't by into this whole natural selection/pop evolutionary theory that people constantly spout here in these threads. Not when there's so many kids in this country born into abusive households and a-hole parents.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 PM

732 posts, read 969,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Very few do but it does happen. There are women out there who are damaged like their male counterparts as I've seen many unambitious dead beats have children many of them illegitimate.

That's why I simply don't by into this whole natural selection/pop evolutionary theory that people constantly spout here in these threads. Not when there's so many kids in this country born into abusive households and a-hole parents.
I think it's usually teenage girls & very young women who don't care as much about what material things a guy can provide because they're being provided for by their parent(s). When they turn to women or are thinking like women & planning for their future then they're more concerned with what a guy can provide, his income, etc..

Old 05-29-2014, 06:18 PM

732 posts, read 969,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Mental disorders need to be diagnosed in an early stage.Too many getting through.
The Santa Barbara killer was already diagnosed and on Xanax.

Look up the side effects of Xanax, it's highly probable that Xanax may have made him cuckoo and drove him over the edge as several of the side effects matches his behavior.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
I think it's usually teenage girls & very young women who don't care as much about what material things a guy can provide because they're being provided for by their parent(s). When they turn to women or are thinking like women & planning for their future then they're more concerned with what a guy can provide, his income, etc..
Well yeah, most people grow up and realize what's important in life and look for more than just superficial B.S. when they seek a partner. But some never do. They make the same bad choices over and over again which is in this case bringing kids into this world they are either unwilling to or not capable of caring for.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This essay popped up in my FB feed--it's pretty good: Your Princess Is in Another Castle: Misogyny, Entitlement, and Nerds - The Daily Beast

A couple good bits:
I found this interesting: " Nerdy guys aren’t guaranteed to get laid by the hot chick ..." It's not just wanting women but wanting "hot" women. Women are just a means to an end to them.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:54 PM

774 posts, read 907,039 times
Take people like that seriously. Never taunt them, never misquote them, always talk to them with complete respect. Tell them that living with love will eventually override any looks prejudice in their lives. Tell them the truth. Anger and hate are seductive emotions which must be seen through as the traps they are and ask them to explain to you what "good" can come from developing their anger and hate. Tell them that love and hate don't mix, that thinking with hate will only destroy their ability to love. That living in hate and anger will lead them into making the wrong decision when faced with a choice and that hate and anger will bring them down into places where they won't want to be and with people they won't want to be with. That anger will attract anger, that hate will attract hate, that kindness will attract kindness, that love will attract love.

Tell them that they should never allow anything to ruin the pure feelings of love they have still have within them.

May this post influence someone in a positive way.

Last edited by Simtropico; 05-29-2014 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology