Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Ok, if a self-centered person finds what they're looking for, it's generally something self-destructive that is detrimental to themselves in some sort of way. At best, whatever they find doesn't benefit them in the long run. Self-centered people often look for pleasure, or something related to pleasure, not love, as love can only be found by being selfless. Therefore, even if they find what they think they're looking for (which is really just something to fill the hole in themselves that they have created), self-centered people will never truly be happy.
Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
"Intellectual defeat." . The cognitive and emotional caliber of most of my detractors here is so stuntedly infantile that I demean myself by even engaging with them. And mind, I'm no genius. If this represents the general public, the future is more terrifyingly idiocratic than even I'd feared
You need help.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think he knew he had a problem and self preservation took over and he had to convince himself otherwise then things spiraled out of control. It wasn't about woman or virginity though.

I'll never believe this is "just a spoiled kid who wanted attention". That's what people tell themselves so they can sleep better at night. But monsters (mental illness) is real and we can't control it. I saw the videos too, to me it looked like he was just trying to act human, or at least the way his mind saw humans.
He was human. Somebody could have helped him, but all involved failed to understand the seriousness of the situation.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:52 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Final warning: stop making this personal.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:55 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I just read the chilling transcripts from a video posted by the Santa Barbara killer. I was struck by how eerily similar his rhetoric is to some of the young guys who post here.[/url]
I noticed that, too. In fact, I think he DID post here, seriously! There was a guy complaining about being a virgin at 22, and also complaining about "stuck-up blondes", or something. Just like the Santa Barbara guy. And members asked him why he was fixating on blondes.

And btw, the thing about those "kissless virgins" is that they'd never approach a lot of the women out there, anyway. They tend not to go for plain or average girls.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:44 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:

From what I know, it doesn't seem like this guy had any guidance in his life.
It seems like his parents spent their whole lives throwing money at the guy when
he had a problem instead of talking to him and teaching him about life. Yeah I
know, he was 22 which means he was an adult. But just because someone is an
adult doesn't mean they don't need guidance and wisdom from those with more
experience especially someone who is in their early 20's.
What do you know?

Even this guys "manifesto" discusses family time, his parents getting him therapy, getting him involved in activities and family time even when he didn't want to be (ie: treating him like their child) and whatnot. Buying things for your kids =/= lack of guidance or anything else negative. We all buy our kids stuff, some of us just have more $ and buy better things. You can't guide mentally ill and one kid can not be the sole focus of your life FOREVER. I think they felt that he needed to find his own way at the age he was at, and not hide in his bedroom anymore, not knowing he was a danger to anyone but himself.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:36 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,042 times
Quote:
"Intellectual defeat." . The cognitive and emotional caliber of most of my detractors here is so stuntedly infantile that I demean myself by even engaging with them. And mind, I'm no genius. If this represents the general public, the future is more terrifyingly idiocratic than even I'd feared
You're the one acting like a petulant child because people are calling you on your BS, but go ahead and tell yourself whatever makes you feel better. While it won't be reality, I'm sure you can rationalize anything if you try hard enough.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:48 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times
Cecee, I think you're right. His parents probably thought it was time to kick the baby bird out of the nest. He went to two other community colleges before he moved to Santa Barbara; they must have been tearing their hair out trying to help him jump start his life. And from all outward indications, he was suicidal not homicidal. We can all Monday morning quarterback, but I wonder if his rage and angst would have been so apparent if we had seen the videos before his rampage?

Old 05-31-2014, 06:53 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,720 times
Quote:
You don't even "engage" with anyone. You accuse them of being stupid without addressing the actual arguments they propose to you.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm not talking about the media or celebrities. I'm talking about people I see walking around every day--at work, at my daughter's school, at the grocery store, the mall, etc. What I see there are regular people--short, tall, fat, skinny, ugly, beautiful, skanky, prissy, casual, relaxed, macho, wimpy, tough, aloof, friendly--all of whom are making their way in the world and the vast majority of whom find mates if they want them.

I don't mean to be rude or snarky, but do you ever get off the computer, turn off the television, go outside and look around? The world I see every day does not reflect what the media is telling you. You are crippled by the notion that you are a victim and that there "aren't many good-looking nice girls," which is simply not true.
You identified the problem. Being too selective. If she's not good looking she's not worth having. She has to be good looking AND nice. Just nice won't do. How many women are removed from the pool if you take out the ones who are not considered good looking? If they are the only women men will consider, then you will have a disproportionate percentage of men going after one group of women while excluding another and the odds may not be in your favor.

I had to laugh at my dd yesterday. She's always lamenting that there are no good looking guys at her high school. She was proving her point by going through the seniors. She picked out a couple she thought were good looking and then added another and another and another.... saying things like "he's funny and that makes him good looking" and "he's nice so that makes him good looking". The pool you have to choose from gets very small if you make looks the number one criteria and you will have lots of competition for the available women in that pool.

The California killer wanted "Blond girls". He had picked one subset and was upset that he couldn't get them. Given his dark complexion, dark hair and dark eyes, I wonder if he could have attracted someone with similar characteristics. We have an unconscious tendency to be attracted to people like us or so different from us they are exotic. He seems to have eliminated girls who look like him from the selection pool. When you're too picky, it should come as no surprise that you cannot get what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology