Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 07:26 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times

Advertisements

When I saw the killer's description of himself as "the ultimate gentleman," I could tell he certainly wasn't. When you have to claim that you are great, you aren't. His self-description reeked of arrogance. This made a potent mix with misogynism that is often perpetuated on some internet boards, likely including the one he visited. The result of this mix was that he felt entitled to affection, like he deserved women and was frustrated that others got what he felt he was owed.

Unfortunately, too many people share his mentality that they deserve a woman's affection, and that it's owed to them. A pretty widespread example is college campus rape. Drunk guys look for passed-out girls and have at them, regardless of the girl's inability to consent, because they think that the woman's body is theirs for the taking.

This line of thought couldn't be further from the truth. Women, like us men, give affection to those who earn it. Only those who dedicate themselves to others will find what they're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Do you think men who view women as stereotypes and objects that have no worth other than their looks and get less valuable as they get older deserve to be treated as worthwhile?

Because that's Elliot Roger and a few other people on this thread. If you find yourself agreeing with them, well...
Depends on what you mean by worthwhile. If you're talking choosing them as a lover, forget it. If you're talking saying thank you if they hold a door open for you, yes, but they're not the type to do that are they?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Being a self flagellating white knight is the true path to woman's heart. You can see this on your average college campus, where the apex alpha male frat boy types win fair lady with their eloquent and heartfelt recitals of feminist poetry and expressions of support for female emancipation and empowerment.
You really are delusional. I hope you are in therapy.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
A couple of comments:

1. I read portions of this guy's manifesto out of curiosity. He obviously has problems that are deeper than just a hatred of women. He had become quite anti-social and didn't really click with either men or women. He was caught in a sort of spiral that was like this: "because he was antisocial he spent much of his spare time playing computer games.....because he played computer games all the time, people ignored him and he became even more antisocial". The "woman thing" was just a catalyst for other mental health problems.

2. The manifesto is fairly well written and the guy is bright. Its a damn pity he became so obsessed and ended up doing this.

3. IMO, American society is very vulnerable to people like this and I'm not sure we can do much about it. We have laws that prevent all but the most observably dangerous and violent mentally ill person from being forcibly hospitalized. We allow almost unrestricted access to firearms. We have a competitive culture that brings out a great deal of talent in people. However, the dark side of this is that there are losers as well as winners and some of the losers don't just quietly vanish. We have a whole nation of college campuses that are built to be open an unrestricted on the assumption this encourages interchange been all the people on campus. All it takes is a couple of bad apples to cause incredible havoc. Please no one tell me that all we need to do is arm everyone with guns. All these psychos either die by suicide or in shoot outs with the police. They are not "taken down" by armed citizens.

4. You don't see much of this in other countries. I'm not saying "none of it". I'm saying much less of it. I have to ponder why this is the case.

God bless all the poor families trying to come to terms with what this psychotic did.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-29-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Take people like that seriously. Never taunt them, never misquote them, always talk to them with complete respect. Tell them that living with love will eventually override any looks prejudice in their lives. Tell them the truth. Anger and hate are seductive emotions which must be seen through as the traps they are and ask them to explain to you what "good" can come from developing their anger and hate. Tell them that love and hate don't mix, that thinking with hate will only destroy their ability to love. That living in hate and anger will lead them into making the wrong decision when faced with a choice and that hate and anger will bring them down into places where they won't want to be and with people they won't want to be with. That anger will attract anger, that hate will attract hate, that kindness will attract kindness, that love will attract love.

Tell them that they should never allow anything to ruin the pure feelings of love they have still have within them.

May this post influence someone in a positive way.

Thank you for this post!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:11 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
If people can't agree that this case goes beyond any innate flaw's in the man's wiring, then things are even worse than I thought.

And I do insist that women generally need to be impressed to want men, though not in the crass way he believed. Besides looks (which he misevaluated), things like humor, ambition, boldness (a common, hard-to-alleviate weakness among us Internet-addicted men, fueling resentment of its value), attentiveness, protectiveness - too many men (I suppose often from dysfunctional families) are being left to guess what the ingredients are.

Also, I think these incidents aren't very rare in Asia, a place allegedly rife with single, frustrated men; and, per one of the scariest comments I heard on TV, American acts would be more common except the plots often are foiled.

Last edited by goodheathen; 05-29-2014 at 10:39 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
If people can't agree that this case goes beyond any innate flaw's in the man's wiring, then things are even worse than I thought.

And I do insist that women generally need to be impressed to want men, though not in the crass way he believed. Besides looks (which he misevaluated), things like humor, ambition, boldness (a common, hard-to-alleviate weakness among us Internet-addicted men, fueling resentment of its value), attentiveness, protectiveness - too many men (I suppose often from dysfunctional families) are being left to guess what the ingredients are.

Also, I think these incidents aren't very rare in Asia, a place allegedly rife with single, frustrated men; and, per one of the scariest comments I heard on TV, American acts would be more common except the plots often are foiled.
Depends on exactly what countries in Asia, an ENORMOUS continent. It's certainly not the case for South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and Mongolia

Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I found this interesting: " Nerdy guys aren’t guaranteed to get laid by the hot chick ..." It's not just wanting women but wanting "hot" women. Women are just a means to an end to them.
What do you mean by "them"?

The writer of that article was too into self hatred for me to agree with him completely.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Take people like that seriously. Never taunt them, never misquote them, always talk to them with complete respect. Tell them that living with love will eventually override any looks prejudice in their lives. Tell them the truth. Anger and hate are seductive emotions which must be seen through as the traps they are and ask them to explain to you what "good" can come from developing their anger and hate. Tell them that love and hate don't mix, that thinking with hate will only destroy their ability to love. That living in hate and anger will lead them into making the wrong decision when faced with a choice and that hate and anger will bring them down into places where they won't want to be and with people they won't want to be with. That anger will attract anger, that hate will attract hate, that kindness will attract kindness, that love will attract love.

Tell them that they should never allow anything to ruin the pure feelings of love they have still have within them.

May this post influence someone in a positive way.
People like what?

Old 05-29-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
This line of thought couldn't be further from the truth. Women, like us men, give affection to those who earn it. Only those who dedicate themselves to others will find what they're looking for.
What you say is not true. Many women choose abusers and criminals, and many men choose poorly as well. And it is certainly not true that self centered people never find what they're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology