Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,861 times

Advertisements

I'm going to admit up front that I haven't had the time to really read and comprehend this entire thread, because I started looking at your other threads. I couldn't begin to figure out how to respond piece by piece, thread by thread, because it all seems part of the same "whole" just with different information.
These thoughts just congealed (finally) so I'm going to, briefly, respond with mostly random thoughts for now ... but I do have a sense of an overall plan, so to speak. I have to go out soon, but I will post more later tonight, probably MUCH later, I don't really wake up mentally until sunset.

1. Don't, at least for now, hire an image consultant. I know a few, and most don't seem to be that adept at curating (curating is what I feel they Should be doing) an entire persona or image. And in a small town, they only know what they've seen in magazines, and most of those pictures/ideas are editorial and not meant to be recreated literally, as you would look ridiculous.

I (also) LOVE your pre raphaelite hair. The straightened hair looks too Goth for work, and doesn't really suit anyone who isn't dressed in corsets and wearing a ton of stylized Goth makeup.

Some of my background ... I'm 54 I was a flight attendant for a major airline 18 years,traveled and worked internationally, have lived in New York, London and San Francisco, currently back where I grew up in Colorado
I've lived Goth and was a club kid in New York (Limelight) lived the rock and roll life style with (famous) boyfriends, so I could claim "cool" BUT, ONLY around people that care about some band 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago.
Some people can transcend cool, 1% maybe? but I'm sure that most of the kids, including all the age groups you are teaching, could care less about The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, Sid Vicious, Ice T (MAJOR CHARISMA in person) and personally, most of the, let's say, musicians, they think are cool I find bland, no sex appeal, and undistinguishable from each other.

Teens of Reddit what's cool nowadays? : AskReddit
I wouldn't recommend posting to reddit, it will make you feel worse. It has a, let's say, unique culture, but you can learn a lot. I DID NOT post this link for you to try and emulate Any of the things they've posted. Cool is only available to those (generally) in the same age group. And honestly, I think it's something you're born with.

You can perfect the archetype that you were born with. So, what I want to start with is, what are your favorite authors, books, music, and art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay. I wasn't familiar with the band. The interpretation of the lyrics wasn't readily apparent. Also, the band was featured on SNL, so I just assumed it was idle random rambling, like many of the comedy songs are. I stand corrected, yet I believe that anything has an interpretation if examined closely enough.
I guess the difference is I approach the interpretation assuming they're getting at something. Confirmation bias, then? Heh. These guys are French--I don't think they're bothering to sing utterly nonsensical lyrics in English. Also, a while back, I listened to their previous album, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, and I remember thinking there was substance there. So, before I even bothered to look into it, I assumed they had something to say. To me they're very pleasing (sound-wise) to listen to (regarding this album and the last one, anyway), so that's the main appeal to me. I don't even care about the message, really. I do stand by my interpretation of this particular song, however. Being featured on SNL might not have any bearing on the nature of the musical act, but I haven't watched SNL almost ever (I started tuning in back when Tina Fey was doing her Palin impression...that's about it), so I couldn't tell you.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Thank you all for your responses. I guess I should just work on good teaching practices.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses. I guess I should just work on good teaching practices.
I have no idea how our responses made you come to that conclusion.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I have no idea how our responses made you come to that conclusion.
I will have to re-read them. I think most of them dealt with just "being yourself" and not worrying much about being "cool," though. Some also suggested to join public speaking groups and generally just talking and getting out more. Others suggested to just try working to become a better professional, i.e. do what I love and believe in, and the rest will follow.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
So what exactly is your plan for working in them? Are you going to video yourself to see your weak areas, seek a mentor, see a therapist, join Toastmasters? It sounds like your plan is to just continue doing what you've been doing, I'm curious what your plan to start working on yourself is going forward.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 AM

Joining Toastmasters would be an easy step. Plus, I'm taking another class on classroom management. I'm also thinking about hiring a life / charisma coach, if I can find one I can easily afford.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Joining Toastmasters would be an easy step. Plus, I'm taking another class on classroom management. I'm also thinking about hiring a life / charisma coach, if I can find one I can easily afford.
Taking a class on classroom management, seems like a sound idea. I hope it helps to make your life easier.

But ...

Honestly! You put far too much "trust", hope, whatever, in a nebulous group of 'professionals' that, honestly, don't exist.

There are, once again, exceptions, 1% MAYBE, that are truly gifted, perceptive, whatever, but they don't live in a small town in the south, and they aren't "affordable".

My favorite way to illustrate that point, was [years ago] when it was "found out" that a successful, wealthy off the misery of depressed women, [female] author of MANY Self Help Books for women, detailing how to have successful relationships [with men] was currently on her 4th or 5th divorce, and living alone No I don't remember who it was, if that point is important to anyone reading this thread, Google...

You're going to be giving your money to, and, abdicating personal responsibility to, some housewife that failed at selling Avon and Mary Kay, and probably has less going for her than you do.

Where exactly, do you live? Closest town, any size, and, nearest big towns or cities you would be able, and willing to travel to.

If you want help putting together a look/persona that will make you feel more comfortable socially, reread my last post and answer the questions I asked you. If you don't want to try this with me, that's OK too.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM

Besides the few things we discussed DM, I think you should learn to belly dance, but not Just learn the moves, you should get involved with the community, Not just learn the moves from a women that teaches jazz-tap-ballet, and belly dancing.

I'm going to find serious teachers in your areas that will be supportive of your needs, and probable inhibitions. THen you can see if it's for you. But give it 3 or 4 months, to be able to see changes. I really think it will help with poise, grace, confidence, positive body image, and give you a support group, of sorts.

Also, I wouldn't tell anyone else. Why? So they can't emotionally undermine you, or know what is responsible for your new sense of confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology