Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:52 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,051,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I shower once every 4-5 days or so. Maybe every 2-3 days when it's really hot or extreme physical activity. I assure you I don't stink at all and have plenty of friends . Also as a general rule, I never ever shampoo, only rinse. When I had long hair I got lots of compliments of how nice my hair looked an questions of what I used. People were astonished when I said I haven't shampooed it in months.

I may push it to the limits but I think showering every day is a bit of overkill. Good to let the natural oils build up. Of course people who shower everyday would understand and think its gross.
Says who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 10:45 AM

613 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Yeah, that's got to be depression or a minor mental thing. A 23 year old male or female should wash their genitals, underarms and backside daily. If they are too lazy to shower or bathe everyday then at least do the sponge bath thingy.
I believe the kind of cleaning-up you're describing was sometimes called a "lady of the evening's" (to paraphase the real term) bath. I know, not a polite description, but guys can basically do the same kind of cleaning-up as well. (I'd add feet as well).

And for all kinds of reasons. For instance I live in NH, keep my house about 60 degrees in Winter, & sometimes a full showering up seems too daunting just to go out & do some errands. Oh yeah, & packs of cheap "wipes" can be great for "cleaning the backside" as you say.

Obviously full showers are best for many or most situations. Oh, & don't forget, in many parts of the world, people don't have access to showers. Or even "running water".

Old 08-13-2017, 11:21 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,177,104 times
Good points, everyone. Many of us in first world countries are fortunate (and I include myself in this category) given that we have access to running water, showers, etc.

So, there is really no excuse for not bathing & stinking up the place, unless:

1) You're homeless
2) Your water is turned off because you haven't been able to afford paying the water bill.
3) You're disabled and are physically incapable of bathing/showering yourself.

I do understand that some people bathe/shower less in the winter, given that it's unpleasant due to it being cold (this is even if you have your heat on). However, I feel it's essential to shower/bathe on a regular basis in the Spring & Summer months (and most Fall months too) in most parts of the world.

As I've mentioned before, I take public transportation on a regular basis & have lost count the number of times my fellow passengers have stunk to high heaven. I know a lot of this is because many are homeless (thus the smell of urine, etc.) but some look like they have a place to live/work & they still stink things up. Sickening.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 PM

285 posts, read 225,291 times
Some people naturally have worse BO than others. I know that if I skip a shower one day, I smell bad. It's the same for going without deodorant. If I skip a day, I start smelling myself.

I always shower in the morning because if I shower at night, I will smell bad by the end of the next day. Anytime I work outside and start sweating, I take a shower as soon as possible because I know that I smell bad.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:48 PM

105 posts, read 85,844 times
I can't believe this is a debatable topic in this day and age and in our society. If you don't care enough about yourself to shower or bathe regularly, then care about others so we aren't gagging when forced to be close to you.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
The subject line is poorly worded; once a week is "regular," as is twice a week or three times a week. Even when conditions warrant it (such as when you've been exercising and sweating versus when you've sat quietly at your desk all day) is a "regular" bathing habit. But for those who (I personally believe neurotically) adhere to bathing once or even twice a day, that's not sufficient. So the title should be "People Who Don't Bathe Frequently (or Daily)."

Last edited by otterhere; 08-14-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
I believe the kind of cleaning-up you're describing was sometimes called a "lady of the evening's" (to paraphase the real term) bath. I know, not a polite description, but guys can basically do the same kind of cleaning-up as well. (I'd add feet as well).

And for all kinds of reasons. For instance I live in NH, keep my house about 60 degrees in Winter, & sometimes a full showering up seems too daunting just to go out & do some errands. Oh yeah, & packs of cheap "wipes" can be great for "cleaning the backside" as you say.

Obviously full showers are best for many or most situations. Oh, & don't forget, in many parts of the world, people don't have access to showers. Or even "running water".
In most parts of the civilized world, this is what the bidet is for. Absolutely unnecessary to wash your entire body (not to mention your hair) every day unless you've literally been rolling around in the muck!

Old 08-14-2017, 09:42 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
I don't take showers every day because for myself don't feel it necessary to take one if I'm not leaving the house. And I'm bit of a "hippie"

Maybe she doesn't realize she stinks. Could be a sign of depression too. I know in my sister's case it was. She would go for days without taking her shower.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 AM

285 posts, read 225,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In most parts of the civilized world, this is what the bidet is for. Absolutely unnecessary to wash your entire body (not to mention your hair) every day unless you've literally been rolling around in the muck!
I can actually smell myself after one day though. That's where I draw the line.

I don't want to gross people out.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 AM

Your forearm or calf "smells"? I doubt it. Only one part does after one day and, again, that's what bidets are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology