Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:51 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times

Advertisements

The issue of "Depressed" vs simply "Lazy" has been mentioned several times. Though "comfort" and just not wanting to be "bothered" are one thing. But neglect to the point of no longer taking any care or pride in oneself seems like the "tipping point" that indicates something more serious is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:11 PM

604 posts, read 839,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It might be hostility or passive aggression. Or depression. But there is not way for us to really know. Has anyone in the family tried to ask her about this?
My mother asked her, but she didn't answer.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
My mother asked her, but she didn't answer.
Maybe she doesn't know. I'd hazard a guess as passive aggression, especially if she feels she doesn't have autonomy in her life.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:54 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,852 times
It's not necessary to bathe everyday unless you're getting really dirty, sweaty, are young with high oil secretions, but bathing/showering everyday does strip the skin of it's natural protection and changes the pH balance which can lead to all sorts of skin problems in vulnerable people. The only thing in your case is that she is malodorous. That's the sticking point for me that something is wrong. It's possible she doesn't smell her own body odor, that is not uncommon, some people stink to the high heavens and they don't know it. My niece went through a phase where she didn't bathe much, and had mild BO at the same age but outgrew it and now takes very good care of herself.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:32 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Rather than asking about why she doesn't shower more often, has anybody come right out and told her that her schedule isn't cutting it and that she smells?
There was an old commercial ...don't remember what it was for...that may be applicable here......
"Even your best friend won't tell you"
Well, somebody has to.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:32 PM

36 posts, read 28,446 times
I bathe every day because it's help relax and relieve stress, but not for cleaning. It may be even twice a day.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:04 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
I bathe probably about 360 days out of the year. There may be an odd day where I dont, like if it's a rainy, grey, cloudy day and it's a weekend day and I'm not panning on leaving the house, I may wake up and do laundry and clean my place all day, so why bother bathing? But, I could never get into NOT bathing. Something about getting out of the shower and putting on fresh clothes makes me feel alive and healthier. .

Old 01-13-2015, 06:08 AM

67 posts, read 167,609 times
Depression or drug addiction

Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
You DO realize that the majority of people around the world don't bathe daily, right? Cleanliness, hygiene and daily bathing is very much a "western" thing. Go to China, South America, Africa, France, etc.. you'll meet plenty that don't have the same standards as we do.

I also bathe daily -- yet it should be noted that it's a social problem. Perhaps it's not so much a drug/mental health issue as much as it is a "she's never been socialized or ridiculed enough to know it's expected" issue.

Have you made it known to her how badly most of us think of people who don't bathe?

Old 01-13-2015, 10:24 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Maybe this is an anti-male bias on my part but I can't imagine any female not bathing regularly unless she has a mental issue; whereas males often fail to bathe because of laziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology