Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:56 PM

348 posts, read 831,579 times

Advertisements

It seems to me like you're doing fine, even, as above, enviable. You're looking for affirmation for living as you see fit and as makes you happy. You need no such affirmation. The fact that you aren't harming or impeding anyone else is all we, as a society, can ask. If you're also content, able to enjoy your time, and financially secure, you're well beyond a lot of people. I'd say you shouldn't be looking for our affirmation, we should be learning from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,934,435 times
You really need a hobby that you are passionate about, and if you don't start excerseing and eating better your going to die young

Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
The only problem is you might not being do your health any good and regret it later. Not fun being a 50 or so in nursing home. I'd at least recommend you think health and do what is needed to avoid such as much as possible.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:00 PM

195 posts, read 186,455 times
Are you putting SERIOUS money away for retirement and emergencies? as in 20k+ per year? do you have disability insurance? Do you have a significant other? if not, and you get one, be ready to spend that 20k per year on her, and if she's got kids, 50k per year on them. i"m not kidding and I"m not mistaken about either one.

PLenty of union jobs that people THOUGHT were secure have been lost. 10's of millions of them, as a matter of fact, especially in the steel, coal and auto industries. Govt jobs can be lost if shtf, too.

If I were you, I"d take up some hobby that can (eventually) make money for you, like learn defensive shooting or karate (preferably both) so well that you get paid for teaching others.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:34 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,234,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze-nh View Post
You have a job, maintain a home, shop, cook, clean, avail yourself to your family - you definitely aren't being lazy.
He said he cleans once a year, and usually eats out or orders in.

OP, what do you actually DO with your free time?

Old 03-23-2015, 12:05 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,842 times
What does anyone do when they're not working? I grocery shop, I go to home depot, I do errands. I travel. I talk with family and friends (when we can't get together) I live my life just like others do. Most of everyone's daily life is routine. Most people just have OTHERS -- or situations -- or relationships that make demands on their time. And I don't. My time is my own.

It's just that not everyone I know is always free every time that I'm free. And I don't feel the need to fill every minute of my free time....DOING something. I just have SOOOO much free time, that even doing nothing, gets boring. That's all I was musing about.

For example, I'm single no kids. Just try getting together with married friends who have teenagers? They're free only about three or four times a year. Then I have acquaintances who are in relationships -- or married with kids AND ELDERLY parents -- or don't have money to spend. So we get together only a couple of times a year. Most people are busy. And I'm not. I live in the Maryland suburbs of DC, and real close ties are in Philly.

Mostly my job schedule just isn't conducive to spending time with others in my life....so I end up with a lot of time on my hands, and I don't have a hobby right now -- other than City Data and TV....both of which I REALLY enjoy. Before people think I'm only seeking out solitary interested it's not that at all. I go shopping with friends when ever we can manage to get together. I travel about twice a year.

To the person who said grow a plant: I have 18 house plants! As I said, I guess I'm just between interests at the moment. When spring comes I'm going to totally revamp my container garden. I've been planning that for months. So I DO have things to do. I just don't have to do anything I don't WANT to do.

I've THOUGHT about volunteering. But don't want a commitment. As I said I need to find something or some place that can take my availability on my terms. I LIKE my free time being my own. Life is good I'm just bored a lot of time. That's all. That's NOT mutually exclusive.

Last edited by rdflk; 03-23-2015 at 12:29 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
You gotta live in a way that makes you happy, but don't get bent if some people find your attitude unattractive.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:27 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,934 times
If it's being able to make ends meet without creating a million $ idea, I'd say that's fine. If it's living the lifestyle of an Eloi, then our norms and code of social responsibility would have something to say about that.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,024,842 times
I actually appreciate all the comments. Some are on point, others not really applicable to my situation. But I appreciate them all.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:38 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Rdflk, I give you my blessing to live your life as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology