Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:56 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,641 times

Advertisements

Your doing just fine, loving life and living large, lol. You sound like a great neighbor to boot.

I've done a lot and I'm doing a lot, and I can tell you that everyone of the guys in the locker room all agree on one thing, what we wouldn't give to have little peace of mind and to be able to have a few days of (quite time) to decompress. I say good for you and in a few weeks you'll have your garden back to do the things you like.

Good for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 10:37 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
If you are happy that is all that matters.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,466,337 times
Honestly, that is about how 80% of the world lives, even those with families, kids, elderly parents, etc. Most people just do what they need to do to pay the bills, eat, hang out, maybe get drunk or watch some TV, sleep, repeat.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:02 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,499,221 times
Is it OK to Be Lazy and Not Want to Do Anything? Only Do the Minimum?

Yes it is ok ... as long as you take care of yourself
and not become a burden on other people.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 AM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Is it OK to not to really want to do anything....except what you want to do?

I'm single no kids. Good job. Well, good paying job, which I really can't complain about. It's secure, union covered, no challenge. Other than having to be there it's really not demanding -- at all. Because I don't have significant other or kids, I don't have anyone making any demands on my time. So my life is my own. Other than work, there's no place I HAVE to be, or anyone I HAVE to commit to.

I'm in a relatively good position financially. I have friends, and family that I love and hang out with very so often. But I don't live near MOST of them. And they have their own lives so although we talk a lot, we don't actually get together that often. Mostly the people I live near are acquaintances more than intimate friends.

My job IS at odd hours so I'm working when they tend to be free. So MOST of my day-to-day is home and work that's it. For example the acquaintances I have -- are all busy today.

Life is actually pretty good I have no reason to complain.
I live alone -- so I don't really have to clean my house (and I don't except for the once a year someone may stop by.) I eat out or order out most of the time.

I don't want to exercise or go to a gym, OR walk by myself. I have an iPod to listen to music while I walk. But I really don't want to get up and do it. Don't really have a need or desire to get out to meet any new people. I've got friends and family. I'm quite content with the people I know. Not really interested in volunteering anywhere.

I AM enjoying my life, I guess I'm just bored most of the time. Other than eating out and buying a few gifts for friends. I don't want to spend any money, really. I do SOME travel.

There's nothing I really much I care about, to me, that's worth doing. Other than work most of what I do is errands you need to do in life...take the care for maintenance, grocery shop, etc.

I read a book once that said most human beings by nature, will do the least they can get away with. I guess since I really don't have any commitments other than work, there's nothing much I HAVE to do.
To each is own. Maybe.
But I wouldn't change with you. I have worked hard and enjoyed my work. I have relocated, then traveled the world in business, raised children, buried a couple of dogs that I probably loved more than my children. I even fought in a war, flew gliders, earned various professional certifications, and won awards for work done and minor achievements.
I'll turn 70 this year and I just built my first computer. And I still have financial goals, so I work at investing and keeping informed.
I loved a girl who disappointed me, and married one that was right for me.

And I am not bored. In fact, I usually wake up excited about the day's possibilities.

Trade with you? Nah.

Here's a song for you. Maybe you'll get it. Maybe not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIs0KMFJvWE

Last edited by Listener2307; 03-23-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 01:46 PM

4,190 posts, read 3,405,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The only problem is you might not being do your health any good and regret it later. Not fun being a 50 or so in nursing home. I'd at least recommend you think health and do what is needed to avoid such as much as possible.
You're joking, right?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:51 PM

865 posts, read 1,490,027 times
Working off shifts can be tough - you can't plan or commit to anything because it is hard to have any type of set schedule when you don't know if you will be tired and needing to sleep. I used to work nights, and I could never do anything with that schedule because there are some days I couldn't fall asleep till noon, and then others I will go right to sleep and I will be up and ready to face the world by noon. So, you may be in that small majority that looks for things to do on your own time, and when your sleep pattern (which changes week to week) will allow.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:36 PM

158 posts, read 305,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
To each is own. Maybe.
But I wouldn't change with you. I have worked hard and enjoyed my work. I have relocated, then traveled the world in business, raised children, buried a couple of dogs that I probably loved more than my children. I even fought in a war, flew gliders, earned various professional certifications, and won awards for work done and minor achievements.
I'll turn 70 this year and I just built my first computer. And I still have financial goals, so I work at investing and keeping informed.
I loved a girl who disappointed me, and married one that was right for me.

And I am not bored. In fact, I usually wake up excited about the day's possibilities.

Trade with you? Nah.

Here's a song for you. Maybe you'll get it. Maybe not.
[youtube]EIs0KMFJvWE[/youtube]
[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIs0KMFJvWE[/URL]
Great post...great writing. You sound like someone I'd get along with very well, I really like and appreciate your attitude.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
So many of our obligations are optional, in the sense that once we undertake a certain function, we are obligated to discharge it properly; but the initial undertaking is optional. The owner of a fine automobile is obligated, as it were, to maintain it assiduously, to keep it garaged and so forth. But the owner of a beater-jalopy should feel no compunction about driving through snow, parking at the curbside, dallying with oil changes and letting half-eaten food fester on the floor. Thus voluntarily "slumming" with a cheap car offers a sense of liberation, while buying the nicer car saddles us with obligations. The same holds, I think, in starting a nuclear family of one's own (husband, wife, children). A "slumming life" is an easier life, and surely it's no exaggeration that much of the opprobrium received for such a lifestyle is merely jealousy.

But most people experience a nagging sense of duty, wherein the very fact that they possess the perspicacity to look around, to consider things, to ponder their place in the world and so forth, levies upon them an obligation to, well, produce something. The person on whom such thoughts are lost, is as it were absolved of the responsibility to act on them. But consciousness makes minions of us all, and if we reflect upon who we are, that same reflection spurs us away from listless comfort and towards incommodious striving. This is the labor-camp of the mind, that most imprisons those who otherwise are free of chores, or menial blights upon their time.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:47 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,955,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Working off shifts can be tough - you can't plan or commit to anything because it is hard to have any type of set schedule when you don't know if you will be tired and needing to sleep. I used to work nights, and I could never do anything with that schedule because there are some days I couldn't fall asleep till noon, and then others I will go right to sleep and I will be up and ready to face the world by noon. So, you may be in that small majority that looks for things to do on your own time, and when your sleep pattern (which changes week to week) will allow.
Exactly!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology