Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:26 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times

Advertisements

All of the things that people tell you that you are missing, are overrated. Children, mortgages, car payments, all represent future obligations that you are contractually obligated to work like a slave for. THIS is the American way. And it's predicated on constant and unabated consumption.

And I call shenanigans on it all. Personally, I'm trying to unload as much debt as possible right now. I don't want to own a home anymore. I'm fine paying rent. Leave the other stuff to people who want to be bothered with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:45 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
I did not read all the replies so someone might have already posed these questions to the OP:

1. Why do you have to ask whether it is 'OK' to be the way you are? IMO, if one is happy and contended with the way one lives his/her life, one would not and should not care about other people's opinions.

2. If you are happy and contended with the way you live your life, why are you bored? Maybe you rather be bored than being obligated to do things you don't want to do.

My thinking is that if you are happily bored doing nothing but the minimum, and since you appeared to be asking for permission, you have mine to continue to be lazy ;-)

Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,341 times
A lot of the things people tell you are important aren't. After my husband died (drank himself to death) our house was foreclosed on, I had to declare bankruptcy. etc. My life has gotten much simpler. I have no credit cards anymore, I don't work because I have survivor benefits and I pay all my bills in one day. I don't have all this stuff they are telling you to do over in the confusing finance forum I have good health insurance I eat healthy, I party, I walk my dogs, I'm kind, but, my life is simple now.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:52 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
One size does not fit all and if you're truly happy more power to you. I wish I could be more like you. Boredom drives me insane. I've been running on empty for days now and I'm physically exhausted but I still feel like a race horse trapped at the starting gate. I was up after 5 hours of sleep to teach an inservice at work, played with the dogs in the snow for an hour, gave them a bath and now I'm bored with sitting here on the computer. I always need something to do even though I desperately need some sleep. I'm the flip side of your coin rdflk. I wish you could teach me how to not be so high octane all the time.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM

93 posts, read 179,649 times
Smile I sure hope so!

I'm retired and spring is comming...

Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
(just reading the first few posts) Are you sure you're "bored" or you just think you SHOULD be bored or are living a life most people would consider boring? Seems to me you're quite at peace, which is a GOOD thing! Most people's lives are crazy-stressful because think they HAVE to they marry, have bunches of kids, enroll them in 1000 activities, move up the career ladder, buy bigger-newer-better all the time, remarry, rinse-lather-repeat. Enjoy yourself. I am newly living alone, and weeks go by before I do dishes or laundry. There's no one here to care but me (I say I've gone "feral"). Don't worry; be happy.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Old 03-24-2015, 02:20 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
One size does not fit all and if you're truly happy more power to you. I wish I could be more like you. Boredom drives me insane. I've been running on empty for days now and I'm physically exhausted but I still feel like a race horse trapped at the starting gate. I was up after 5 hours of sleep to teach an inservice at work, played with the dogs in the snow for an hour, gave them a bath and now I'm bored with sitting here on the computer. I always need something to do even though I desperately need some sleep. I'm the flip side of your coin rdflk. I wish you could teach me how to not be so high octane all the time.
Try mixed drinks and a mellow type of marijuana, if it's legal in your area. Or melatonin.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:56 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Is it OK to not to really want to do anything....except what you want to do?

I'm single no kids. Good job. Well, good paying job, which I really can't complain about. It's secure, union covered, no challenge. Other than having to be there it's really not demanding -- at all. Because I don't have significant other or kids, I don't have anyone making any demands on my time. So my life is my own. Other than work, there's no place I HAVE to be, or anyone I HAVE to commit to.

I read a book once that said most human beings by nature, will do the least they can get away with. I guess since I really don't have any commitments other than work, there's nothing much I HAVE to do.
OK with who? (grin). I do almost solely what I want to do, but I'm lucky work is what I "want to do," also, most of the time for the mental stimulation.

I'm a somewhat-lazy, entitled barstrad end of the day. At least I think so, a bit tongue-in-cheek: I make a lot of money by any objective standard, uber in-demand field, have a degree from an Ivy and a science degree from a solid state school, and maintain several in-demand certifications. I will not be unemployed a minute the next ten or so years I intend to remain in business. Plus I work at a name-brand tech firm that is known (all of them are) for being hard-charging and owning or wanting to own their domain-space. We're all hard-chargers, "but..."

...At the same time, I do enough work to be successful at a high bar, but not "the ultimate" 80 hour sort of work week a few top-end men and women put in. I can definitely be a bit fat and physically lazy, if not focussed.

That makes me not-quite-lazy, but could be more ambitious I suppose.

Bottom line is that truly resting on one's laurels and being a bum and layabout will lead to woe in life. That isn't OP, he has a job: i mean the people who can't (won't) do squat to improve themselves, roughly 80% of the American workforce in my admittedly unscientific observation. (8% doers, 6% ___holes, remainder "inert".)

I'm single, very happy, and do things for me and a few trusted friends who've earned my respect and vice-versa. I do not care what people think, try not to act TOO entitled, but really have other things to worry about vs. trying to manage everyone's perceptions. That, too, is a bit lazy I'd say.

Yes, I do the least I can to get away with it. "It", in my case, is a much higher bar than most, what I've empirically learned is the amount of work needed to be truly successful. Is there more? Sure. Will I do it? Eh, sometimes!

Old 03-24-2015, 03:41 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,740 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology