Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times

Advertisements

I love all animals but give me a cat anyday.

They don't need walking, you don't even know when/where they empty their bladders and bowels, they eat the same kibble day after day and act like its a Gourmet Treat, they are soft warm and cuddly and they smell like babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:05 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If cats and dogs acted the same, you could make the 'color of the skin' analogy.

It's not the appearance of cats most people are opposed to (they are beautiful, lithe, graceful creatures). It's the personality.

Preferring a certain personality is not like being racist.

Btw, I was just addressing the public health problem. Which you brought up first.
No, someone else brought up the issue of dogs as a public safety issue, I was responding to it, and I was talking specifically about dog attacks, not rabies. No animal can help it if they contract rabies, and frankly, we should feel sorry for any animal that has to suffer from rabies and be put down because of it. There are methods of combating and reducing the amount of cases of rabies - there is a vaccine for it so if there are more cats with rabies than dogs, it's only because we as humans aren't taking care of them like we should be.

The reason I compared it to racism is because in both cases, you are judging a book by it's cover. With race, it's appearance, with animals, it's the type of animal. I never denied that cats and dogs are different, but you can't judge all dogs as having the same personality, nor can you judge all cats as having the same personality. Which is exactly what racists do.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:09 PM

590 posts, read 714,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR25 View Post
I'm really beginning to dislike dogs.

Visiting others is a real pain if they have dogs. Their dogs will either go psycho jumping and nibbling at you, especially when this unwanted, or want nothing to do with you when you try to pet them. Then you always get the comment "My dog is so nice; it would never hurt anyone."Dogs can seemingly do no wrong no matter how poorly they behave.

I just don't understand how obsessed people get about their dogs and it seems to be a growing trend with dogs seemingly everywhere you go. I don't hear about people being called crazy dog people but someone with a couple cats is automatically labeled a crazy cat Person.

Cats don't go around killing people, terrorizing them (to the extent that dogs do) and tend to be much quieter. There tends to be a double standard in behavior. A scratch or paw from a cat (without even leaving a scratch on your skin) is seen as pure malice while a dog mauling (i.e. jumping, scratching, snapping) you when you come over to it just means its "excited" or "it doesn't know better." Also somehow cats are seen as uncaring and selfish pets yet dogs are "man's best friend."

Anyone else notice this bizarre phenomenon?
I have noticed it. And the behavior you refer to with dogs is directly associated with the owner/master of the dog. Cats do not need to be trained, they know, by instinct what they need to do. Dogs will poop wherever they like and **** on whatever they like unless you train them to do otherwise. Cats do not respond well to training. I grew up with little dachshunds in the house. They barked at every little creek and crack...it annoyed the hell out of me, but they never peed or pooped inside, because as puppies, my mother trained them to wait by the door and "ask" to go out. She trained them to do that by placing newspaper on the linoleum right in front of the door, so that they would go on the newspaper instead of the carpet. Cats will pee and crap anywhere if they need to. I stayed at a friends house once and his wife cat pooped on my pillow, it took everything in me not to punt that damn thing out the upstairs window....

Old 09-15-2015, 11:52 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I love all animals but give me a cat anyday.

They don't need walking, you don't even know when/where they empty their bladders and bowels, they eat the same kibble day after day and act like its a Gourmet Treat, they are soft warm and cuddly and they smell like babies.
They don't bark or slobber all over, either.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I don't hate cats. But cat lovers drive me crazy. They can be really obnoxious. It's like their lives revolve around this one type of animal - and all other animals can go to hell.
Not all people who love cats have such an excessive approach or outlook. I love dogs, but not being in a position to have them, I have opted for cats over the years. It also does not mean I should be referred to as a "cat person", due to this. Again, I don't know why it has to be thought that a person "must only like one or the other" or can't possibly like one, if they like the other. Maybe some people discriminate, but does not mean that everyone does.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
I have noticed it. And the behavior you refer to with dogs is directly associated with the owner/master of the dog. Cats do not need to be trained, they know, by instinct what they need to do. Dogs will poop wherever they like and **** on whatever they like unless you train them to do otherwise. Cats do not respond well to training. I grew up with little dachshunds in the house. They barked at every little creek and crack...it annoyed the hell out of me, but they never peed or pooped inside, because as puppies, my mother trained them to wait by the door and "ask" to go out. She trained them to do that by placing newspaper on the linoleum right in front of the door, so that they would go on the newspaper instead of the carpet. Cats will pee and crap anywhere if they need to. I stayed at a friends house once and his wife cat pooped on my pillow, it took everything in me not to punt that damn thing out the upstairs window....
I think how animals behave will reflect something in how they're raised, their surroundings or if they have been affected by being raised by another, prior. Also, just like people, these little guys all possess their own personality traits and should not be thought of as only functioning in one particular way.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:17 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Humans and dogs are pack animals. Cats are independent and loners. The majority of humans cannot identify with feline behavior. The majority of cats will not greet a stranger and slobber all over them. Humans do not like this because they must be masters over the animal kingdom.

Dogs have masters. Cats have no masters.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:57 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,428 times
Im no fan of dogs or cats, my favorite is when the dog is growling at you and the owner says. hes not going to bite, of course hes not going to bite you, you feed him, but he doesnt know me.also pet owners think they can talk to their pets and the pet understands every word, the only think the pet understands is when is he going to feed me.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Humans and dogs are pack animals. Cats are independent and loners. The majority of humans cannot identify with feline behavior. The majority of cats will not greet a stranger and slobber all over them. Humans do not like this because they must be masters over the animal kingdom.

Dogs have masters. Cats have no masters.
People have their set, yet possibly inaccurate views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
Im no fan of dogs or cats, my favorite is when the dog is growling at you and the owner says. hes not going to bite, of course hes not going to bite you, you feed him, but he doesnt know me.also pet owners think they can talk to their pets and the pet understands every word, the only think the pet understands is when is he going to feed me.
Clearly not into pets or animals.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
People have their set, yet possibly inaccurate views...

Clearly not into pets or animals.
As any person who shares their home with an animal can tell you, a human does not even have to TALK to their pets to make their feelings known. An animal can sense emotions whether in another animal or a human. Your pets can sense your happiness, displeasure, sadness, illness, etc. When you have become attuned to them, you too can sense their emotions also.

In human society we call this Body Language. It works both ways in the animal kingdom as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology