Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 12:04 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
in that same logic tell me why my dog has to be leashed to be outside but your stupid cat can crap all over my flowerbed with no leash in sight.

ML
I'm not exactly sure to whom you've addressed that statement. Maybe you should go back read page three?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:12 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
You have a right to choose whatever pets you want... but would you ever support people killing cats? You said that you were indifferent. Would you ever do anything to stop people from killing them, like vote? I have trouble imagining someone indifferent to them would do anything to help them. I'm indifferent to rats. I couldn't care less if my cat caught them and ate them, whatever. I guess maybe that's the way I see this kind of sentiment, which is okay, but if I express indifference, maybe even downright hatred, of stray dogs, in an attempt to even the score, that's somehow wrong? Stray dogs are animals, like stray cats. Why is killing one a crime, and the other acceptable? I personally think that a zero tolerance policy of stray animals, be it dog or cat, would probably get people thinking. If dogs were killed with the brutality and indifference of the cat-killing vet, maybe people would realize that this kind of behavior is NOT okay and would come up with solutions that benefit all animals. I'm tired of people killing cats and others standing idly by like it's okay AND I'm especially sick of people enjoying it.

I avoid dogs crossing the road when I'm driving, but there are people who run over cats just for fun. I don't put out poison for the neighbor's dogs, but plenty of people put it out for cats. If I catch a dog in a squirrel or pig trap, I usually call animal control, but some people destroy the cats they catch. Catch and kill is a policy that doesn't even seem to apply to dogs, but some people think they're doing the world a favor by killing cats. I'm reminded of the vet's Facebook post, "the only good stray cat is a dead one." She was allowed to keep her license, after all of that. Whether people want to admit or not, I think that is majority's sentiment. Dogs deserve a second chance because they are somehow "special," but no other animal deserves that treatment, especially cats, because they are somehow "bad." That's a terrible attitude to have, but, alas, I can't convince anyone of it. I've tried.
I said I was indifferent to cats as pets. How is that the same thing as being indifferent to them being killed? I not only did not say that, I didn't even imply it. You're so focused on attacking anyone who likes dogs that you're reading things into my posts. Your attitude is not helping your cause at all. You can be as indignant as you like about the mistreatment of cats, but suggesting that the solution is mistreatment of other animals as well is a bit creepy. I would never harm any animal although I will squash a spider if it's in my house.

P.S. You say you USUALLY call animal control if you catch a dog. What do you do the rest of the time?!?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
Quote:
I wish I knew how.
This needs to be taken to another thread - I have an idea though... go speak with those who run the local animal shelter about your concerns/thoughts/drive to help Cats... not the employees, speak with the President or Founders of the shelter... learn who they are, then reach out to set a date/time to go out to a lunch meeting (where you pay for their time by buying lunch) and see where that takes you. As I said, information gathering first... then plan making.

If you do not take action to do this, no one will, it is your mission, it's obvious to those of us who are waking up and have read your posts. No more doubts, no more excuses... you will regret not taking action the rest of your life so you might as well continue on this path ;-)

Old 08-11-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I said I was indifferent to cats as pets. How is that the same thing as being indifferent to them being killed? I not only did not say that, I didn't even imply it. You're so focused on attacking anyone who likes dogs that you're reading things into my posts. Your attitude is not helping your cause at all. You can be as indignant as you like about the mistreatment of cats, but suggesting that the solution is mistreatment of other animals as well is a bit creepy. I would never harm any animal although I will squash a spider if it's in my house.

P.S. You say you USUALLY call animal control if you catch a dog. What do you do the rest of the time?!?
You said you were indifferent. I wanted to know if you meant "apathetic." I will agree, though, that maybe some people own cats just because they are a convenient apartment pet. Since social outings with cats are kind of rare (not many restaurants, bars, book stores, etc. allow pets to frequent, and there aren't many places that have cat shows), it wouldn't make a lot of sense to own a cat as a status symbol, (unless maybe you were using it to make cute videos on YouTube). Plus, all kinds of people own cats. Dogs, on the other hand, there is a positive stereotype attached and plenty of opportunities to socialize (dog owners can participate in dog shows, take their dogs to special parks, and even frequent certain "pet friendly" venues). Well, there is a stigma attached to cats only people, too, but it's not so positive, so why would anyone advertise? Plus, other pets scream "nonconformist" a bit better than a cat. Cobras (or any snakes) come to mind...

Last edited by krmb; 08-11-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You said you were indifferent. I wanted to know if you meant "apathetic." I will agree, though, that maybe some people own cats just because they are a convenient apartment pet. Since social outings with cats are kind of rare (not many restaurants, bars, book stores, etc. allow pets to frequent, and there aren't many places that have cat shows), it wouldn't make a lot of sense to own a cat as a status symbol, (unless maybe you were using it to make cute videos on YouTube). Plus, all kinds of people own cats. Dogs, on the other hand, there is a positive stereotype attached and plenty of opportunities to socialize (dog owners can participate in dog shows, take their dogs to special parks, and even frequent certain "pet friendly" venues). Well, there is a stigma attached to cats only people, too, but it's not so positive, so why would anyone advertise? Plus, other pets scream "nonconformist" a bit better than a cat.
I don't think this difference is based on some sort of universal hatred or indifference to cats. Cats, in general, do not enjoy socializing with unknown cats and humans. Usually too much noise or activity sends them under the bed. Cats are just not built the same as dogs and in general are not a pet that would enjoy a ride in the car followed by a stop at a loud/active park.

Dogs on the other hand (if they have good, responsible owners) are purposefully socialized so they can interact with both dogs and humans that they don't know. I can take my dog to any dog park or pet friendly venue and know not only will he be polite and respectful, but that he will enjoy the experience. He's very sad when we pass the Starbucks on our walk instead of stopping to visit whoever is on the outside patio.

You seem to suggest that these differences are based on some sort of stigma people attach to cats. I don't agree. They're based on the inherent differences between a cat and a dog.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don't think this difference is based on some sort of universal hatred or indifference to cats. Cats, in general, do not enjoy socializing with unknown cats and humans. Usually too much noise or activity sends them under the bed. Cats are just not built the same as dogs and in general are not a pet that would enjoy a ride in the car followed by a stop at a loud/active park.

Dogs on the other hand (if they have good, responsible owners) are purposefully socialized so they can interact with both dogs and humans that they don't know. I can take my dog to any dog park or pet friendly venue and know not only will he be polite and respectful, but that he will enjoy the experience. He's very sad when we pass the Starbucks on our walk instead of stopping to visit whoever is on the outside patio.

You seem to suggest that these differences are based on some sort of stigma people attach to cats. I don't agree. They're based on the inherent differences between a cat and a dog.
No, in the first two sentences I was asking if "indifferent to cats as pets" meant "apathetic to the suffering and needless killing of cats," or, phrased another way, would you do anything if you knew of plans to needlessly kill cats?

After that, I was just replying to your other post, explaining that it doesn't make a lot of sense to own a cat as a symbol of your social status, because, at least for now, you would have no one to impress, because opportunities for cat owners to socialize with others and their pets are few and far between. I also agree that most cats don't take to it for various reasons, (but some may. It's at least good to have the chance.)

Last edited by krmb; 08-11-2015 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
No, I was just replying to your other post, explaining that it doesn't make a lot of sense to own a cat as a symbol of your social status, because, at least for now, you would have no one to impress, because opportunities for cat owners to socialize with others and their pets are few and far between. I also agree that most cats don't take to it for various reasons, (but some may. It's at least good to have the chance.)
I doubt people own dogs as a symbol of social status since people from all walks of life and socio-economic levels have them. Both dog and cat owners have pets simply because they enjoy them. You're ascribing motives where none exist.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:03 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,262,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I happen to be more of a dog person. I like the occasional friendly cat but there is no question in my mind that people keep pets for their own reasons, whether to be loved, have a playmate or simply someone to welcome them home. Most cats don't do that. Most dogs do.

But never, ever would I hurt a helpless animal or person for "kicks." That is a horrible accusation.
I'm pretty sure most normal dog lovers are just like you. Decent people who'd never hurt another animal.

However, while I have not seen an equivalent subset in the cat loving population, there IS a subset of the dog loving population that has no problem killing or torturing Cats.....and liking it. The recent case of that Vet in TX is one of the more egregious examples.....but I've read countless others.

I've never read about cat lovers doing the same thing to dogs. We tend to be more introverted and would rather just ignore dogs altogether.

That said, I've got a soft spot for Wiener Dogs, lol. I don't even particularly hate dogs....they just tend to get on my nerves more than anything.....of they outright scare me.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:37 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Most behavior problems in dogs can be traced to inadquate exercise. A typical dog between the age of 6 months and 3 years needs at least 5 miles a day of free running. They need to run like they need to breathe. Coop them in an apartment or a small yard and you will have a problem animal. A well exercised dog will be easy to socialize.

I would strongly disagree that any pup of 6 months should have 5 miles a day of free running; unless you mean the young dog is in a fenced area and can sit/lie down at any time - the bones are still forming, the dog is growing, while the pup definitely needs off-leash activity, hiking 5 miles a day every day would be too much.

My Labrador, when I was still living with my family in the suburbs, did not have five miles of running every day, and he was very well socialized. He did have a lot of off-leash activity, though, and long walks with family members on the weekends.

I have raised three dogs in an apartment and had no difficulty exercising them or socializing them; and I made sure that they each had regular off-leash activity, usually every day, for 45-120 minutes, in fenced or relatively safe dog-friendly areas or dog parks. I have also been careful not to acquire high-energy dogs; because I didn't think I could do justice to them.

Actually, my current dog, a Cocker Spaniel, was not an enthusiastic runner between the age of 6 months and 3 years - he was an enthusiastic sniffer; he would trot around with his nose to the ground, sniffing at bushes (and people's purses and pockets at the dog park). I have rarely seen him ever run hard, except perhaps at the beach during the off-season.

I strongly recommend supervised regular off-leash activity for all dogs, regardless of where they live. I think it helps keep the dog's body and mind healthy. I would not own a dog unless I had access to a place they could run around off-leash; preferably more than one place. But I don't think that all dogs need to run 5 miles every day in order to be happy and sociable; that really depends on the breed or mix of dogs. Irish Setters, yes; Pugs, some spaniels, retired racing Greyhounds, etc.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:21 PM

483 posts, read 692,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
^^^give me a break - no I never said most of the things you accuse, my gosh, can you read AND respond without being abrasive? For the sake of this forum, please do it.

1) I didn't say cats were high maintenance. Directly nor indirectly, stated nor implied, not my words nor thoughts. Dogs and Cats are both require love and attention as any dependent would. Cat owners nearly always cite the reason they love cats is because they are easier to take care of than dogs. The truth is that if you neglect your house cat(s) they will go a bit feral on you (There's no arguing what I've seen with my own eyes in a household with neglected cats). If you neglect their litter, Cats will relieve themselves somewhere else and the litter box will stink even more. If you neglect their nails, their paws will get just as screwed up as a dogs. Sure you can get away with being a lazy cat owner for a while, but the signs that you are just that will be visible in how the cat treats you and how your home looks and smells.

2) That whole clicker training thing... I have yet to see anyone in my many decades of life directly do it effectively and as you implied... "cats are not trainable to the extend that dogs are" anyway so its a moot point. Don't get into how most dog owners don't train their dogs effectively... that's just a distraction from the truth... Dogs are trainable as they've been bred to be trainable for at least a thousand years while cats are not/have not. I've had both cats and dogs, I know how to train animals (I learned directly from accomplished trainers), and there isn't a person alive who has worked with both house cats and dogs that would say that cats are as trainable as dogs. They simply aren't. Cat lovers would have you believe its because Cats are smarter (and somehow that makes them a more sophisticated pet for more sophisticated people). I don't really care, I just know and have experienced the truth which is simply what I've stated.

3) I also never said cats were nasty. But litter boxes are exactly as I described, and as you describe/agree they will have to be used for the duration of the cats life (unless they are one of the mysterious cat breeds that you describe needing to be taken outside to relieve themselves - honestly, I have never seen nor heard of that in my life... taking a cat out for a walk? Really?). The toilet thing, yes I've heard of that, but once again... have you seen it? I haven't... just saw it mentioned in "Meet the parents," no one local to me has done it successfully and I know a ton of "cat people." When I researched and tried the toilet training thing for cats (years ago when I had cats) I thought it was brilliant... but if no one is doing it (or many more people have tried and failed vs tried and succeeded), why is that argued as something everyone can do? For reasons too numerous here and using your own words toilet training for cats "is elaborate."

To each their own though... you self-proclaimed cat lovers go ahead and keep beating the drum regarding how cats are smarter and easier pets to keep than dogs and how the trainability and loyalty of a dog somehow makes it inferior. I don't really care - I just wanted to get my perspective out there, as someone who has had cats and dogs and who also has animal training experience. New pet owners would do well to not be led down a path of regret by those who cannot be objective. I would even go further and recommend that new couples would be best off not getting into the whole "getting a pet" thing as without a specific function adding a pet to a household just complicates life.
I have seen a toilet trained cat. The cat also opened a door. I kid you not, she turned the knob and fell against the thing. It wasn't a perfect "open", but enough to make me nervous about my roommates (one of them the cat owner), wandering about the hall while I did my business.

I have also seen a leash-trained cat. I will grant you it was not a magnificent job of leashing as kitty hid under a car the first time it was tried, but this was also not the neighborhood it was trained in.

I also feel I must say that these habits and functions took place in New York City, and that I feel people are more likely to train cats if they work long hours and are never home, so maybe it is more common in cities.

I also feel partly like the litter box does make the cat more sophisticated. Because while I like individual dogs, and dogs bumbling about doing cute things independent of me, but I don't feel the urge to cuddle up and pet with every dog I see, because I can no longer warm up to any animal that envisions the entire world as its toilet. It doesn't seem sanitary, and in a large city it doesn't smell sanitary either - I've been near some disgusting urine-soaked NYC dog runs. Even a horse largely prefers to go to the bathroom in its sawdust-laden stall, though they will go in desperation if they are out and about. (Yes, I understand, it's not the dog's "fault". It's still gross.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology