Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 07:46 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,735,718 times

Advertisements

Thinking at random:

I'm definitely not a dog person, but if I'm to be unbiased, I do see their merit in some cases. However, both cats and dogs are unpredictable, no matter the training, I don't care what anyone says. It only takes one incident to change things.

You get a dog for: (a) Protection. This is their best feature. They're essentially built-in alarm systems should you have unwanted intruders. (b) Because you can take them outside unlike a cat. Leashed or unleashed, I guess they won't run away if they know you [not a dog owner so I dunno]. Hate it when owners don't use leashes. I walk a trail sometimes and have to be bothered by large dogs left unleashed by their irresponsible owners. Putting other people at risk like that is just stupidity. (c) Something to take away the silence. Silence is a big no-no for a lot of dog owners.

Always funny to me to see tiny people with vicious-type dogs like a pit bull. Had a lady at work that had two cats, and she started dating this guy who convinced her to rid of the cats. Now they have something around three or four dogs, one a huge dog and the other a pit bull. She was telling me the story of how the larger one jumped up in her face and started licking her. Ugh. It's not clear whether she is or isn't truly okay with the situation. Two cool cats to that...sad.

- I visited a friend one time, and he had a dog the size of a cat that would bark at me insistently. Now, I know a little about dog psychology, and you're not supposed to run from them because that gets them to up the ante. But I detest dogs like that and made them put the dog in a different room before I even walked in the house. Simply wasn't going to deal with it.

- I've had the most success with golden retrievers. All the others can chase birds or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Sure they're great for keeping mice and snakes at bay but let me know when cats get memorials like the one below.
Certainly a respectful and noble thing. I would like to mention that cats can/are used for disabled/older people as companions due to their lower maintenance. Dogs can save lives (not just in your military example), but cats can help in different ways; because what cats bring to their owner's lives is behind-the-scenes, it's not noticed.

My cat? He's awesome. Very social, likes attention, and he is a purr machine when he isn't in excited cat mode. Has a few but minor downsides, but I see no reason to dog on him about 'em. Not all cats are like this, though. In the defense of cats, their size has to have a lot to do with how aloof they can be -- a way of protecting themselves from harm, which I don't fault them for.

Me being biased...

...cat power .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 07:47 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR25 View Post
Cats don't go around killing people, terrorizing them (to the extent that dogs do) and tend to be much quieter. There tends to be a double standard in behavior. A scratch or paw from a cat (without even leaving a scratch on your skin) is seen as pure malice while a dog mauling (i.e. jumping, scratching, snapping) you when you come over to it just means its "excited" or "it doesn't know better." Also somehow cats are seen as uncaring and selfish pets yet dogs are "man's best friend."

Anyone else notice this bizarre phenomenon?
Some cats are good companions but most are there when they need you.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:06 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,063 times
Wow, there are a lot of dog lovers in the psychology forum. I don't know if I'm surprised or not. It seems like healthcare professionals, whether for animals or people, are typically dog people. It's just strange to me that the owners of conniving sociopathic beasts would be such friendly and open people. Well, I guess it could be worse. Americans could be overrun by "bear people" and swear that they are kind and loving creatures, like "teddy bears" that never hurt anyone, despite mounds of evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by krmb; 08-10-2015 at 08:36 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 08:10 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, I guess it could be worse. Americans could be overrun by "bear people" and swear that they are kind and loving creatures, like "teddy bears" that never hurt anyone, despite mounds of evidence to the contrary.
Be careful for what you wish for. A few years back a Stamford woman tried to have a full grown chimpanzee as a pet, with mixed results. Why the Stamford Chimp Attacked - TIME

Old 08-10-2015, 08:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
See, though? Most big cat owners have to have special permits. The owners of vicious dog breeds, though, meh, they get a pass!
In this country.

Which I disagree with.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:15 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Wow, there are a lot of dog lovers in the psychology forum. I don't know if I'm surprised or not. It seems like healthcare professionals, whether for animals or people, are typically dog people. It's just strange to me that the owners of conniving sociopathic beasts would be such friendly and open people. Well, I guess it could be worse. Americans could be overrun by "bear people" and swear that they are kind and loving creatures, like "teddy bears" that never hurt anyone, despite mounds of evidence to the contrary.
I'm honestly not surprised that C-D is overrun with cat ladies. It explains a lot.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 PM

807 posts, read 1,354,305 times
Quote:
But you would love to own a 150lb cougar?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The idea that dogs love humans is an illusion – it is a human conceit –it is human vanity. The evolutionary line that led to humans separated from the line that led to wolves and then dogs more than 100 million years ago. To think that after evolving separately for all of this time dogs would end up loving humans and no other animals other than their own kind is preposterous.
Where did I say that? Either you have horrendous reading comprehension skills or you are just putting words in my mouth.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:20 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,063 times
Quote:
Yes, but wasn't I making another point?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
For an animal that is so reserved and shy, cat owners are obnoxious as hell. So far in life I've had no problems with cats, but I'm about to start hating them just to spite their owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology