Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:15 AM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
The question is pointless. I actually think there are just as many people out there that hate cats. I happen to love both cats and dogs. I shared my home with cats for 20+ years. I lost my last one 6 months ago. He was 18. Now I just have two dogs.

I'm not defending aggressive dog behavior at all but not all dogs are aggressive, a concept which you seem unable to grasp.

He's watched it for over 65 years. Not sure what that means but supposedly he knows better than everyone else because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 03:10 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
For an animal that is so reserved and shy, cat owners are obnoxious as hell. So far in life I've had no problems with cats, but I'm about to start hating them just to spite their owners.
I don't hate cats. But cat lovers drive me crazy. They can be really obnoxious. It's like their lives revolve around this one type of animal - and all other animals can go to hell.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Freud had it that cats represent the feminine.

So, not many men like cats.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:53 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Freud had it that cats represent the feminine.

So, not many men like cats.
Most creative people tend to like cats. Hemingway was a noted cat-lover, as was Mark Twain. It's hard to understand why so many people hate cats. One theory has it they had an unpleasant experience with cat poop during their formative years.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:50 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Every bite is an attack and that number is just bites serious enough to require medical attention - a small fraction of the total attacks. And, for every documented attack, there are a hundred fold aggressions that threaten people outside of the dog's "family".

Yours is the typical denial - the typical spin that perpetuates this problem. There are many million dog bites per year, and they continue to be invisible to dog owners who can't see beyond their personal relationship with their dog. Your dog's basic instinct makes it a threat to most other people. That threat is always there - sometimes acted upon and documented and sometimes not. But it is there, everyone knows it, while millions irrationally deny it.

I've watched it for 65 years....I know exactly what I'm talking about. So do you.

All Dog Bite Statistics
Okay so according to the CDC there's 4.5 million dog bites per year, that's still LESS than 6% of dogs in the US. That is still NOT most dogs, I wouldn't even say it's many. There's more humans committing crimes out there than there are dogs biting. Do you hate all humans because a minority of them commit crimes too? You're so blinded by hatred that you don't even see the hypocrisy in your blatantly inaccurate statistical claims.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Okay so according to the CDC there's 4.5 million dog bites per year, that's still LESS than 6% of dogs in the US. That is still NOT most dogs, I wouldn't even say it's many. There's more humans committing crimes out there than there are dogs biting. Do you hate all humans because a minority of them commit crimes too? You're so blinded by hatred that you don't even see the hypocrisy in your blatantly inaccurate statistical claims.
Cats also have more rabies.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Most creative people tend to like cats. Hemingway was a noted cat-lover, as was Mark Twain. It's hard to understand why so many people hate cats. One theory has it they had an unpleasant experience with cat poop during their formative years.
I don't have a problem with cats. Overall, I love animals. I just don't enjoy their company (if that's what you want to call it).

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMW-dM-BDu0

Old 09-15-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I don't hate cats. But cat lovers drive me crazy. They can be really obnoxious. It's like their lives revolve around this one type of animal - and all other animals can go to hell.
LOL and there aren't dog owners like that too?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Cats also have more rabies.
That has nothing to do with what I was talking about, and I am not a cat hater. I love both dogs and cats, so don't try to turn my comments which were in defense of dogs around as comments of why dogs are better than cats. They aren't. I have been defending both dogs and cats equally in this ridiculous topic of hatred. I can't understand why anyone would hate any type of domestic animal purely because of the type of animal it is. To me, it's like hating a person based on the color of their skin.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That has nothing to do with what I was talking about, and I am not a cat hater. I love both dogs and cats, so don't try to turn my comments which were in defense of dogs around as comments of why dogs are better than cats. They aren't. I have been defending both dogs and cats equally in this ridiculous topic of hatred. I can't understand why anyone would hate any type of domestic animal purely because of the type of animal it is. To me, it's like hating a person based on the color of their skin.
If cats and dogs acted the same, you could make the 'color of the skin' analogy.

It's not the appearance of cats most people are opposed to (they are beautiful, lithe, graceful creatures). It's the personality.

Preferring a certain personality is not like being racist.

Btw, I was just addressing the public health problem. Which you brought up first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology