Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 11:29 AM

714 posts, read 748,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Dogs are like silly buddies whereas cats are more reserved.
One might say that dogs are like Democrats and they can get away with a lot before being called on it and cats are like Republicans and are held to a higher standard.

Dogs like to be included and will greet visitors with much zeal whereas most cats go hide somewhere Unless that person is allergic or doesn't like cats then it will come out and climb that persons leg. LOL

I grew up with dogs and cats and they are all good pets and they all have their own personalities. Cut the jumping dogs some slack it is their owners that are to blame for bad behaviour.

Wow. While this is not based in reality at all, I'll admit I'm amazed you could bring politics into this. Bravo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
It has to be exhausting to be a dog.

I may be napping or watching TV or cooking or relaxing, but my two dogs are eternally vigilant. They know where everyone is in the house. They are constantly listening for odd noises. They can go from asleep to full on window charge bc a rabbit rustled a leaf 20 feet from the front window. While knowing about the going ons of the local fauna is useless to me, it spotlights clearly how constantly alert they are despite seeming like they are napping or relaxing.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:42 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not interested in having cats as pets. I enjoy my dogs. I couldn't care less who likes what pets more, and think the whole "rivalry" thing apparently wrapped up in being "a cat person" or "a dog person" is bizarre. Who really cares?

I will say that anybody who is violently anti-dog/afraid of/disgusted by/annoyed by dogs is welcome not to hang out at my house. I have dogs, they do what dogs do. Deal with it or don't come over. My house, my dogs.

It's like the same with Android vs Iphone. Wow I use Iphones...I don't care whether you use Androids.
Or a non inanimate object example would be all these fanbase rivalries with musicians. I love my artists you love yours. Get over it.

Also whoever uses Google as evidence that the opposing party is dangerous is laughable. Oh because I read so many accounts of dogs mauling people it means that dogs are dangerous. That's worse than me with my hypochondria and that's saying something.
But like I said before if it was true that dogs mauled people can you really blame them? We are supposed to be one of the most intelligent species because we have the kind of thinking that the other animals don't and yet we have had all these wars and abuse. At best, when it comes to dogs many people leave them in cars to suffocate. Why I saw a dog yesterday at Walmart and it was pretty hot outside. I mean geez how hard is it to leave your dogs at home? Or have someone sit with the dog in the car?

In conclusion I see nothing wrong with them but I see everything wrong with people. The only animal I have a problem with besides us are bugs. Everything else is fine. I think polar bear cubs can be cute even. Not as fond of horses but they're alright. My mom loves them..just an intimidating domesticated animal to me so I don't really interact with them. Yes I do eat chicken pigs and cow but that's a whole nother subject entirely. I would never condone killing them for fun.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Yeah, I just don't get the whole "People who have different preferences than I have are WRONG, because a preference is either RIGHT or WRONG," stance. No. It's just a preference. You don't have to justify liking what you like. Neither do I. We're allowed to make choices, and base them on pretty much whatever criteria we darned well choose. I never felt like my choices and preferences needed to be validated by other people giving them the thumbs up. That's why they're MY choices.

And liking one thing doesn't necessarily mean hating (or wanting to KILL, for God's sake) another thing. That's just weird.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:14 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,226 times
Cats and dogs are completely different species. So of course they're going to have vastly different temperaments. They are "wired" differently. Some people will prefer cats, some will prefer dogs, some will love both (and most or all other animals) and some won't like either one. So what? It's just personal preferences. And stereotypes based on animal preferences are always going to exist...it's human nature to stereotype. Get used to it.

It's the sensitive people who take this stuff way too seriously that need to take a chill pill. Many people who say something "bad" about cats or "cat people" are just messing around. Banter, teasing and remarks are edgy sometimes, folks.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Yeah.

People preferring dogs does not = "cats are being demonized." That's crazy talk.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:35 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR25 View Post
I'm really beginning to dislike dogs.

Visiting others is a real pain if they have dogs. Their dogs will either go psycho jumping and nibbling at you, especially when this unwanted, or want nothing to do with you when you try to pet them. Then you always get the comment "My dog is so nice; it would never hurt anyone."Dogs can seemingly do no wrong no matter how poorly they behave.

I just don't understand how obsessed people get about their dogs and it seems to be a growing trend with dogs seemingly everywhere you go. I don't hear about people being called crazy dog people but someone with a couple cats is automatically labeled a crazy cat Person.

Cats don't go around killing people, terrorizing them (to the extent that dogs do) and tend to be much quieter. There tends to be a double standard in behavior. A scratch or paw from a cat (without even leaving a scratch on your skin) is seen as pure malice while a dog mauling (i.e. jumping, scratching, snapping) you when you come over to it just means its "excited" or "it doesn't know better." Also somehow cats are seen as uncaring and selfish pets yet dogs are "man's best friend."

Anyone else notice this bizarre phenomenon?
Yes....and it IS both bizarre and irrational.

Fact is, backed up by dog attack statistics, outside of the perspective of and relationship to its owner, many dogs - I'd say safely most dogs - are one of man's worst enemies.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:26 PM

352 posts, read 286,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Sure dogs are harder to raise than cats. Anything worth doing is not easy. Once you've done your job you couldn't ask for a better companion.

Sorry but cats don't do near the good dogs do in this world. Not even close. Sure they're great for keeping mice and snakes at bay but let me know when cats get memorials like the one below.
Cats provided not only companionship for sailors on long voyages, but also provided protection from vermin.

The US Naval Institute recognizes the invaluable service cats provided servicemen at sea:
Cats in the Sea Services | U.S. Naval Institute

Old 08-14-2015, 09:01 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,941,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes....and it IS both bizarre and irrational.

Fact is, backed up by dog attack statistics, outside of the perspective of and relationship to its owner, many dogs - I'd say safely most dogs - are one of man's worst enemies.
What??!!! You're kidding, right?

I'd argue that there is a primal, basic, beautiful inter-dependent relationship between human and dog. That is precisely why we trust dogs with our safety and our emotional health. I mean, come on, we have therapy dogs, police dogs, etc.

For those of you who don't appreciate dogs, I suspect it's because you've never truly experienced that awesome bond and love between dogs and humans. It's not an ego thing. I've asked for so little from my dogs (they've always been trained to behave nicely, no jumping, no humping, sitting quietly, etc) and they've given me, without being asked, the most It's just pure, unconditional love.

And, now, I'd like to give a shout out to Buddy (a lab mix), my childhood companion and keeper of all secrets and tears; Maggie (my Saint Bernard who once scared away burglars and cared for the kids like they were her own); and Willie, my golden retriever who serves as snuggle bug, bunny nurse (he's cared for 3 babies so far--long story), snake destroyer, and chief squirrel chaser.

All that being said, humans outrank dogs and no human should ever be forced to deal with unwanted or unpleasant dog attention or behavior. Seriously.

To the humans who don't properly train and care for their dogs: shame on YOU. Blame the humans not the dogs.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
What??!!! You're kidding, right?

I'd argue that there is a primal, basic, beautiful inter-dependent relationship between human and dog. That is precisely why we trust dogs with our safety and our emotional health. I mean, come on, we have therapy dogs, police dogs, etc.

For those of you who don't appreciate dogs, I suspect it's because you've never truly experienced that awesome bond and love between dogs and humans. It's not an ego thing. I've asked for so little from my dogs (they've always been trained to behave nicely, no jumping, no humping, sitting quietly, etc) and they've given me, without being asked, the most It's just pure, unconditional love.

And, now, I'd like to give a shout out to Buddy (a lab mix), my childhood companion and keeper of all secrets and tears; Maggie (my Saint Bernard who once scared away burglars and cared for the kids like they were her own); and Willie, my golden retriever who serves as snuggle bug, bunny nurse (he's cared for 3 babies so far--long story), snake destroyer, and chief squirrel chaser.

All that being said, humans outrank dogs and no human should ever be forced to deal with unwanted or unpleasant dog attention or behavior. Seriously.

To the humans who don't properly train and care for their dogs: shame on YOU. Blame the humans not the dogs.
No, I'm certainly not kidding.

Dogs are aggressive and obnoxious animals by nature. Humans are not to blame for that.

Yes, I understand about the unconditional love thing for its owner and family. But what dog lovers give far too little thought to is how obnoxious and even threatening their dog is to most others outside that small sphere.

In addition, the tenacious and unremitting trust that dog people have for dogs is all too often found to be misplaced. Tragic that so many have had to learn that as a result of an attack requiring surgical repair of their face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology