Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 07:38 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Why does "dog lover" have to equal "cat hater" and vice versa?

I don't hate cats. I just don't want them as pets.
I agree with you.

I don't understand why some people feel the need to have their choices validated. Are they so insecure that if everyone doesn't love what they love and hate what they hate, they cannot function? Do they feel some sort of pathological need for their choice to be the preeminent one?

I was confused as to why this thread was in the Psychology forum. Now I get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I think it all goes back to which pets you were raised with.
I was raised with horses, ponies, dogs, cats, chameleons, and birds.

As an adult, I prefer dogs as pets.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:49 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I agree with you.

I don't understand why some people feel the need to have their choices validated. Are they so insecure that if everyone doesn't love what they love and hate what they hate, they cannot function? Do they feel some sort of pathological need for their choice to be the preeminent one?

I was confused as to why this thread was in the Psychology forum. Now I get it.
I just don't agree with people killing cats because they don't like them. That's it for me. If that approach were used with all animals, there would probably be a lot of dead dogs in the neighborhood...

On a serious note, though, I think maybe lots of people use dog ownership to validate themselves, something along the lines of, "I have a dog, a wife, a white picket fence, a nice car, and a house in a nice neighborhood; I'm an upstanding citizen." The dog, regardless of how it's treated, becomes a symbol of the person's status in society, "having a dog shows that I'm friendly, outgoing, and can handle responsibility," even if the person is too busy in reality to take care of said dog (and some people like dogs more than they like people). People who would be cat, bird, or even snake people feel pressured by society to own a dog to fit the common perception of "trustworthy" and "normal."

Last edited by krmb; 08-11-2015 at 08:08 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
I just don't agree with people killing cats because they don't like them. That's it for me. If that approach were used with all animals, there would probably be a lot of dead dogs in the neighborhood...

On a serious note, though, I think maybe lots of people use dog ownership to validate themselves, something along the lines of, "I have a dog, a wife, a white picket fence, a nice car, and a house in a nice neighborhood; I'm an upstanding citizen." The dog, regardless of how it's treated, becomes a symbol of the person's status in society, "having a dog shows that I'm friendly, outgoing, and can handle responsibility," even if the person is too busy in reality to take care of said dog (and some people like dogs more than they like people). People who would be cat, bird, or even snake people feel pressured by society to own a dog to fit the common perception of "trustworthy" and "normal."
I don't know anyone who agrees with that whether they prefer dogs or not. And based on what I see on the news, dogs are just as likely to be abused or killed as cats. Are dog haters guilty of those crimes?

I feel absolutely NO pressure to have a dog. I have one because I like dogs and I like having one around. No one forced me to do so and my dog validates nothing about me. I have on the other hand, had people try and convince me that I should have cat. I even had a neighbor bring a homeless kitten by my house and attempt to talk me into taking it. I found that way over the top rude and felt guilty for saying no. Maybe some people need to own cats to validate themselves, something along the lines of "I have a cat. I'm cool and don't bow to societies pressure. I go my own way and am independent." Cats can be a status symbol even if some people don't take care of their cats (and like cats more than they like people). People who own dogs feel pressured by society to own a cat to fit the common perception of "independent" and "aloof".

For me cats are like lima beans, it's great that other people like them, but they're just not something I enjoy.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 08-11-2015 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don't know anyone who agrees with that whether they prefer dogs or not. And based on what I see on the news, dogs are just as likely to be abused or killed as cats. Are dog haters guilty of those crimes?

I feel absolutely NO pressure to have a dog. I have one because I like dogs and I like having one around. No one forced me to do so and my dog validates nothing about me. I have on the other hand, had people try and convince me that I should have cat. I even had a neighbor bring a homeless kitten by my house and attempt to talk me into taking it. I found that way over the top rude and felt guilty for saying no. For me cats are like lima beans, it's great that other people like them, but they're just not something I enjoy.
You have a right to choose whatever pets you want... but would you ever support people killing cats? You said that you were indifferent. Would you ever do anything to stop people from killing them, like vote? I have trouble imagining someone indifferent to them would do anything to help them. I'm indifferent to rats. I couldn't care less if my cat caught them and ate them, whatever. I guess maybe that's the way I see this kind of sentiment, which is okay, but if I express indifference, maybe even downright hatred, of stray dogs, in an attempt to even the score, that's somehow wrong? Stray dogs are animals, like stray cats. Why is killing one a crime, and the other acceptable? I personally think that a zero tolerance policy of stray animals, be it dog or cat, would probably get people thinking. If dogs were killed with the brutality and indifference of the cat-killing vet, maybe people would realize that this kind of behavior is NOT okay and would come up with solutions that benefit all animals. I'm tired of people killing cats and others standing idly by like it's okay AND I'm especially sick of people enjoying it.

I avoid dogs crossing the road when I'm driving, but there are people who run over cats just for fun. I don't put out poison for the neighbor's dogs, but plenty of people put it out for cats. If I catch a dog in a squirrel or pig trap, I usually call animal control, but some people destroy the cats they catch. Catch and kill is a policy that doesn't even seem to apply to dogs, but some people think they're doing the world a favor by killing cats. I'm reminded of the vet's Facebook post, "the only good stray cat is a dead one." She was allowed to keep her license, after all of that. Whether people want to admit or not, I think that is majority's sentiment. Dogs deserve a second chance because they are somehow "special," but no other animal deserves that treatment, especially cats, because they are somehow "bad." That's a terrible attitude to have, but, alas, I can't convince anyone of it. I've tried.

Last edited by krmb; 08-11-2015 at 09:36 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 09:05 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Dogs don't measure up to human companions, because they pretend to like you when they don't, have unpredictable behaviors, are a lot of work and maintenance, require constant care and companionship, require constant reminding of where they stand in the hierarchy, are comparatively stupid (if we are comparing them to humans). I imagine the human equivalent of a dog would be an erratic sociopath who doesn't understand the meaning of love, friendship, or emotion, but simply uses these as tools for a means to his end. Sure, people like him; he's the life of the party, but he's not really a friend. He shows the same loyalty to you as he shows to everyone else, and although he pretends to be devoted to you, he's not really that way. You can see it in how he acts toward you in public and at home.
That sounds like 25% of the people I've known in life.

Quote:
Cats don't measure up to human companions, either, because they are extremely shy and cautious little creatures. Cats are like the cautious, some may think of them as unfriendly, intellectuals who can be found in coffee houses, book stores, and libraries. They are friendly, but secretly, and sometimes they do think too highly of themselves, but at least they don't judge you. The difference, though, is you never quite get past that initial greeting. There's the silent shyness, and then the rest of the cat's personality is that of an animal, not a person nor an animal trying to be a person. It's a miniature of the mountain lion, in some respects, yet a very considerate and mannerly creature, not a creepy little pretender who smiles at me for no reason or pretends to be happy when it doesn't need to be, yet it can somehow mimic the best animal qualities of those animals that do. It can be the shy playful "dog" if it wants, or it can just be what its best at being, itself.
Sounds like a lot of other people I've known in life.

The important thing though to remember is that dogs and cats are cute for basically their entire lives. Humans, not so much.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Right and most dog owners who are every bit as obsessive over their freaking Fidos may take their coldness against cats a step further

I've seen countless news stories of dog lovers who kill cats for kicks. Many of these scumbags enjoy doing it, but I suppose you are excusing them?

I might qualify as a middle-aged lady who is a full-blown cat person (I am) and also a person who doesn't especially like dogs (read the OP, and you will see half the reason why I don't....the other half stems from my personal experiences with them), but I will tell you this:

I would never, EVER purposefully hurt a dog and enjoy doing it.

In fact, I'd only cause harm to a dog that was directly threatening me or one of my loved ones.

I've never met a cat person who gets their kicks harming dogs. We usually just ignore dogs as a rule.

Too bad rabid dog people can't follow suit......just ask that POS Veterinarian who is rabidly devoted to her dog, whilst she gets her kicks impaling cats with bow and arrow.

Makes me sick.

Oh please. Neither I nor any of the many dog lovers I know would ever think of hurting a cat. I don't love cats, but I appreciate and admire them; and the thought of anyone deliberately harming one is horrible. I have also known dog owners who had cats as well.

I am definitely a dog person, but I don't wish harm to any cat. (I once tried to rescue a feral cat; and was bitten by it; I never blamed the cat; just hoped that it managed to survive)

I don't understand why anyone who has a dog or a cat feels they must condemn the type of pet they don't have. There are pros and cons to the ownership of both animals. Both cats and dogs have been helpers of humankind - as working animals, objects of affection, emotional support, etc. - for millennia; and will hopefully continue to do so for millennia to come.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post

The important thing though to remember is that dogs and cats are cute for basically their entire lives. Humans, not so much.

Yep, that's one positive.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 AM

Thanks to the dog-loving cat-haters in the world, it may never be a safe place for cats and their owners. Your housecat may be confined to the inside for good, never to go out for walks, attend cat shows, or to meet new people and animals, never to test the limits of its own nature or to develop new confidence, all because stray unleashed untrained dogs and individuals who would love to catch, kill, and torture cats are on the prowl. Someone should arrest these sickos and catch the stray dogs that roam the area and make it unsafe, but it continues. Cat ownership, or course, becomes an unnecessary burden when you have to constantly worry about your cat finding a way outside. Cats are clever creatures that usually get what they want. You might have to spend some money on a fancy unnecessary enclosure. That's probably what they want. Our pets in a costly enclosure, like some wild beast, while theirs get to run relatively free. What a horrible dog-infested dystopia! If cat ownership becomes a burden, the number of people taking it on will probably decline, meaning less demand for pet cats. Please, this madness needs to stop, now. I don't want to live in a world where cats are demonized and marginalized and cat owners are stereotyped.

Shelter Kill Rates
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=396

71% of Americans Dislike Cats?
http://www.today.com/id/34746139/ns/.../#.VcoYFLAo7IU

More Cat-Hating Nonsense
http://mic.com/articles/87001/if-you...tion-as-to-why

Last edited by krmb; 08-11-2015 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
Quote:
Thanks to the dog-loving cat-haters in the world, it may never be a safe place for cats and their owners. Your housecat may be confined to the inside for good, never to go out for walks, attend cat shows, or to meet new people and animals, never to test the limits of its own nature or to develop new confidence, all because stray unleashed untrained dogs and individuals who would love to catch, kill, and torture cats are on the prowl. Someone should arrest these sickos and catch the stray dogs that roam the area and make it unsafe, but it continues. Cat ownership, or course, becomes an unnecessary burden when you have to constantly worry about your cat finding a way outside. Cats are clever creatures that usually get what they want. You might have to spend some money on a fancy unnecessary enclosure. That's probably what they want. Our pets in a costly enclosure, like some wild beast, while theirs get to run relatively free. What a horrible dog-infested dystopia! If cat ownership becomes a burden, the number of people taking it on will probably decline, meaning less demand for pet cats. Please, this madness needs to stop, now. I don't want to live in a world where cats are demonized and marginalized and cat owners are stereotyped.

Shelter Kill Rates
Alley Cat Allies

71% of Americans Dislike Cats!
In war of dogs vs. cats, the winner is clear - today > pets - TODAY.com

More Cat-Hating Nonsense
If You Hate Cats, You're Not Alone and There's a Real Explanation as to Why - Mic
Only a truly evil person would torture and kill a cat or a dog (or any animal). So while some people prefer cats and some prefer dogs, I really don't believe that preference progresses into cruelty in the majority of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology