Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 05:59 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,065,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Yes, you're doing the right thing. Never look back or feel the need to defend your position on why; they don't hear you, and only someone who's experienced the same will completely understand.
There seems to be a lot of us with these types of mothers on here - which is sad really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 12:10 PM

527 posts, read 687,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
There seems to be a lot of us with these types of mothers on here - which is sad really.
Sad, but makes me feel like I'm not crazy and not the only one who's suffered with this.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:42 PM

388 posts, read 474,567 times
OP - Good on you for protecting your children and your family!

Stay strong!

Old 02-19-2016, 03:43 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,911,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Sad, but makes me feel like I'm not crazy and not the only one who's suffered with this.
Ha! It's never too late or too early to cut dysfunctional people out of your life. My mom was pretty kooky and I started to cut her out of my life when I was about 10. I recognized her craziness when I was that young. Fortunately, she left and I was raised by a great dad and an awesome stepmother

Old 02-20-2016, 08:50 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
I am pregnant with my first - and after a horrible conversation this morning with my mother where she threatened to not be a part of my child's life, I am taking her up on this threat. I blocked her numbers and her email from all of my accounts. I have dealt with her at this point for decades, and excused her and her family's behavior, but now that the stakes are higher, it's time.

I didn't feel great, like it felt mean to do, but I feel relief, like I'm starting a new chapter without this abusive person to drag me down. I feel sorry that she and my dad will miss out on my kid's lives, and I am making an effort not to see them at holidays, but I don't want the kids to experience what I experienced.

Has anyone else successfully cut out a toxic parent (or parents)?
You are wise to do it at this time in your life. Once they get their nails in the child...sometimes its too late.

I waited until my youngest was preschool age. Her age caused me to have a lot of flashbacks about abuse from that phase in my life. And I knew my kids weren't safe with her. Somehow I had known it all along, and they had never been alone with her. And because of her weirdness, she never even tried to bond with them. So the separation was easy in many ways. She didn't come after grandparents rights or anything. And we live far apart.

If you aren't, seeing a therapist at this time could be really helpful. If your mom is cray cray, you are going to need perspective about your own parenting. And maintaining the break needs help. But make sure they support the break from your mom, not all therapists do

Old 02-21-2016, 08:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Quote:
I am pregnant with my first - and after a horrible conversation this morning with my mother where she threatened to not be a part of my child's life, I am taking her up on this threat. I blocked her numbers and her email from all of my accounts. I have dealt with her at this point for decades, and excused her and her family's behavior, but now that the stakes are higher, it's time.

I didn't feel great, like it felt mean to do, but I feel relief, like I'm starting a new chapter without this abusive person to drag me down. I feel sorry that she and my dad will miss out on my kid's lives, and I am making an effort not to see them at holidays, but I don't want the kids to experience what I experienced.

Has anyone else successfully cut out a toxic parent (or parents)?
You did the right thing. I have a saying, "you can do bad by yourself, you don't need anyone else to bring you down". I'm lucky that my parents were great, my mom passed and she was wonderful and loving and my father is wonderful too and I call him every day. I don't speak to my sister, it's not that I won't it's that she can't be bothered to pick up the phone when I used to call. I'm fine if we see each other once a year at Christmas since I moved away. I love her, I just don't like her that much.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:06 AM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You did the right thing. I have a saying, "you can do bad by yourself, you don't need anyone else to bring you down". I'm lucky that my parents were great, my mom passed and she was wonderful and loving and my father is wonderful too and I call him every day. I don't speak to my sister, it's not that I won't it's that she can't be bothered to pick up the phone when I used to call. I'm fine if we see each other once a year at Christmas since I moved away. I love her, I just don't like her that much.
My relationship with my mom was pretty good until she went demented. Things got really hairy when I had to take the car keys away. I must say that her death was a big relief.

Unfortunately I found correspondence among her stuff showing she was a much less nice person than I imagined, to many people.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:44 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
It's very confusing having a mother that you realize is just plain mean...and doesn't have your best interests at heart...when I was in CICU my mother breezes in and announces to the doctors "they better take good care of her(me) cause that's my daughter"...and she was completely serious...another time I had miscarried a child and recuperated at my mother's and anyone who called to ask how I was she would say " DD is fine but did you know I got a parking ticket in front of the hospital?" and go into details about her ticket...I think she came off as a total narcissist... I am her only child (she delighted in telling me it was my Dad's issue and how she wanted 7 kids)...so ironically I have to take care of her now in her "golden" years...and let me tell you mean people don't mellow with age...I have detatched myself completely from her...I take care of her physical needs but refuse to engage in her on an emotional level...which she notices and tells me what a cold daughter I am...but I let it roll off my back...she can no effect me no matter how she screams and carries on...

Old 03-20-2016, 09:01 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
No. Respect is earned. It can be built up and it can be forfeited. The idea that one must automatically respect one's parents is preposterous. Mine used that one on me too, growing up. It was easier to use Colossians to browbeat me into outward compliance than it was to behave so as to earn my respect.

It's not mean to dismiss a toxic person. It's sane. And if one wants or needs to say something mean to a toxic person, then that is better than remaining silent. If the OP's mother is toxic, as described, the only concern is how the OP will feel about it later, and she should say whatever she will not regret that will help her move on.

This whole morality, that we should never really fight back against evil and that we should let parents get away with murder forever, is why I left the religion I was raised in. I found it unacceptably weak in moral values.
+1000.

The poster that said to be loving & respectful just because she's the mom? Hell nah.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 AM

527 posts, read 687,157 times
And like clockwork she comes back. She's sick again and now EVERYONE is like "I know you guys don't get along but you really should..."

A little backstory, when she was sick the last time I left my job to move home and take care of her. This was about 3 years ago. As SOON as she felt better, she reverted to her evil abusive ways, and here we are. And now I suppose I'm expected to do the same with a full-time job and pregnant. I really can't. I don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology