Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:18 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,584,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Sorry, I've invested way too much of MY time in this thread and others of yours. You have two degrees and yes, while you have ASD, you're intelligent and can research online and other resources on your own. If something is complicated and that's daunting to you, perhaps you can discuss that with your therapist. She gets paid for advice; I don't and I'm done handing it out to no avail.
Okay, thanks anyway. Perhaps this isn't a common problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM

10,103 posts, read 6,450,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Okay, thanks anyway. Perhaps this isn't a common problem.
I hate breaking my word, but I had to respond. I just accessed the SBA small business template page and saw that you can fill out the business template plan (Business Plan Tool) and it will save your data for 6 months after every last save date. I mean, c'mon, this should give you plenty of time to figure out how to navigate the template and work through the business plan if you are serious about pursuing your own business. That IS taking a huge task and breaking it down into smaller parts. The SBA is not going to dumb down the process for you - they want people who are serious to get their loans. I also noticed that completing their Business Plan Tool will also help you in working with SCORE, a Small Business Development Center, or a Women's Business Center. That's a lot of resources that can be accessed if you will methodically work through their Business Plan Tool in small, manageable steps and save them. BTW, that is a directed process with definite steps that ought to fit well with your need for organization and other-directed actions.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:54 PM

50,884 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I guess it looks like I'm whining and making excuses, but I'm not looking at it like that. I mean, if I were to post complaining about an aching foot and how it hurts my job performance, if I mentioned that I've already gone to the doctor and I just wanted relief, wouldn't people assume I genuinely wanted to relieve my symptoms and get back to work instead of continuing to live in misery? Wouldn't they offer some concrete suggestions rather than, "I think you need to go to another doctor and get a second opinion," "go to the pharmacy and look for foot cream," "if you have a hurt foot, you shouldn't be around people without hurt feet; you should look for another job that's more accepting of people with your handicap," or "why don't you try climbing to the top of Mount Everest? That might make you feel better." I hope it's clear why I've seemingly "ignored" some of these "suggestions" that don't keep my end goal in mind.

I'm frustrated. I can't explain what I want. I can't find it by searching on the internet, and my attempts at starting and running my own business have inevitably led to failure, even though I have a decent bit of education and experience in my field. I know why I'm not doing well; I don't know the "steps," but no one will explain the steps to me, and when I ask for a concrete plan, or where I can find a concrete plan, I'm taken back to vague general suggestions like the ones above. Read through my posts if you don't believe me. Almost every time I ask for specific information, I'm mostly given vague general suggestions that don't really help and amount to "ask someone else." I've gotten page after page of unhelpful nonspecific information with just a little bit of helpful step-by-step information sprinkled in.

FYI, even if I find a terrific doctor, this need to have things spelled out isn't going to magically go away. I'm more comfortable in school because they do attempt to spell things out. Assignments aren't vague, and, if they are, I won't do very well in the class and can give the professor a poor review so that other students don't have to go through that nightmare. I seriously don't understand why very few people on this forum seem to be willing to give me what I'm asking for. I have started thread after thread basically asking, in many different ways, the same question. How (what are the specific steps) can I start my own successful tutoring business so that I can get out of my current situation (the situation I'm in with being not well-liked or respected by the students and some of the other adults) and start paying my student loans? I've gotten so little useful advice out of all of these threads, I could probably post it on one page!
If you told me you had aching feet but went to a cardiologist for help with it, then yes, I would suggest you go to another doctor, only the right one. If you went to a podiatrist and he told you to put special cream on it every night, and you said you hadn't because you don't like the cream and it makes you feel itchy and so your feet still hurt, I would tell you to go back to the doctor and this time listen to what they say and do the things you are avoiding that result in your foot never getting better. This whole post is another feel sorry for me because I'm a helpless victim post, sorry.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you told me you had aching feet but went to a cardiologist for help with it, then yes, I would suggest you go to another doctor, only the right one. If you went to a podiatrist and he told you to put special cream on it every night, and you said you hadn't because you don't like the cream and it makes you feel itchy and so your feet still hurt, I would tell you to go back to the doctor and this time listen to what they say and do the things you are avoiding that result in your foot never getting better. This whole post is another feel sorry for me because I'm a helpless victim post, sorry.
I guess it is if that's the way you look at it. My problems are indeed unique to me, i guess, so I guess that means I need to find my own solutions for them. I've been posting out of bursts of frustration and then answering new posts kind of automatically; I'm not trying to keep a negative discussion going. I acknowledge that a lot of you have put in some effort in answering my questions, and I acknowledge that perhaps it's easier for me to get frustrated than some people.

I shy away from hard work, and in a way I get what I deserve for it. I do need to adopt more productive habits.

Yes, that fits the foot analogy, too, because if I went to an orthopedic doctor and it wasn't a bone problem, I would be frustrated even though it's possible I just didn't see the right doctor, and, rather than find out what the real problem was, I would probably just limp around expecting my body to get better on its own until the pain became again unbearable and I became so frustrated that I wanted the situation to change.

Last edited by krmb; 11-25-2016 at 03:51 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I hate breaking my word, but I had to respond. I just accessed the SBA small business template page and saw that you can fill out the business template plan (Business Plan Tool) and it will save your data for 6 months after every last save date. I mean, c'mon, this should give you plenty of time to figure out how to navigate the template and work through the business plan if you are serious about pursuing your own business. That IS taking a huge task and breaking it down into smaller parts. The SBA is not going to dumb down the process for you - they want people who are serious to get their loans. I also noticed that completing their Business Plan Tool will also help you in working with SCORE, a Small Business Development Center, or a Women's Business Center. That's a lot of resources that can be accessed if you will methodically work through their Business Plan Tool in small, manageable steps and save them. BTW, that is a directed process with definite steps that ought to fit well with your need for organization and other-directed actions.
Really? I wasn't aware of that. I visited the website a few years ago. Perhaps it's been updated with new features since then? I guess I'll look at it again. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who thought that business plan manual was too difficult to follow?

Yeah, it turns out it is more user-friendly than the one I accessed. I guess I'll take a second look around and see if I can find some help over there rather than bugging people who may or may not be able to help.

Last edited by krmb; 11-25-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 03:55 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,553,052 times
How to Start a House Cleaning Business (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Old 11-25-2016, 04:36 PM

50,884 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
I guess it is if that's the way you look at it. My problems are indeed unique to me, i guess, so I guess that means I need to find my own solutions for them. I've been posting out of bursts of frustration and then answering new posts kind of automatically; I'm not trying to keep a negative discussion going. I acknowledge that a lot of you have put in some effort in answering my questions, and I acknowledge that perhaps it's easier for me to get frustrated than some people.

I shy away from hard work, and in a way I get what I deserve for it. I do need to adopt more productive habits.

Yes, that fits the foot analogy, too, because if I went to an orthopedic doctor and it wasn't a bone problem, I would be frustrated even though it's possible I just didn't see the right doctor, and, rather than find out what the real problem was, I would probably just limp around expecting my body to get better on its own until the pain became again unbearable and I became so frustrated that I wanted the situation to change.
They're actually not, they are pretty classic symptoms of both Aspergers and OCD. I say this because your insistence as seeing yourself as a special snowflake that can't be helped by the things that have helped others with your disorders is not serving you.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:54 PM

10,103 posts, read 6,450,375 times
If, as you say, you "shy away from hard work", no business you start is going to be successful, ASD or not.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They're actually not, they are pretty classic symptoms of both Aspergers and OCD. I say this because your insistence as seeing yourself as a special snowflake that can't be helped by the things that have helped others with your disorders is not serving you.
I've tried to explain that it's not really like that, at least not from my perspective, but the idea that the help really isn't as readily available as it looks on paper isn't a reality that you would be familiar with unless you were in my position and trying to get help yourself, so I can't really get you to understand. I appreciate that you have tried to help, though. I sometimes just feel more or less powerless. Maybe you're familiar with the feeling through listening to the children you help? I have gotten more helpful information on what to look for in a good ASD therapist from these threads, though, so maybe I won't give up.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:32 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,698 times
You aren't so different from anyone else. I'm twice your age and haven't fulfilled any of my dreams, and couldn't figure out how to start and run a successful tutoring business. Most people are unable to fulfill their dreams they had in their teens and twenties. That's called life, not ASD. There IS no simple plan you can follow to becoming successful. If there was, everyone would do it. We all have to figure it out, or at least find some way to survive while we fail at figuring it out. The only difference here is that you don't seem to get that and your posts always demonstrate a heavy naivete and idealism that most of us lose at some point.

The tutoring market is saturated. Unless you have something special and new, you will not be able to do more than make side cash. And no one can tell you what is special and new, because if we knew then we'd do it ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology