Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 12:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But the OP does not have trouble with people in general.
Just every man she comes across.
In her other thread, she talks about having trouble with other random people, like cashiers, also looking at her with some kind of hostility. It that thread she blames not her attractiveness/unattractiveness but her problem with making eye contact.

People might look at an unattractive person "strangely" but they don't generally look at an ugly person with anger or hostility.
People might look at a person who is weird about eye contact "strangely" but they don't generally look at such a person with anger/hostility.

The looks she gets might be real, but interpreting them as angry and hostile is probably in the OP's mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 01:37 PM

274 posts, read 252,883 times
Quote:
probably in the OP's mind.
Didn't you read the OP??? She SAID NOT to tell her that!!!

Old 11-13-2016, 02:35 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
Don`t think it dirty looks but more of snobs as people cannot even say `good morning or good day `, as they just look at people and turn their heads with nose in the air ..... Like saying ``have a good day`` is a come on or something which it is not is any way ..... It a hard world when all your neighbors are snobs ...

Old 11-13-2016, 04:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Just thought of something. Are you a really awful rude, or oblivious driver? That could be it. Thinking about it reading through this, the only people I have ever glared at cut me off or did something really stupid on the freeway. If you are a total Bert on the road, that may be why everyone you see is glaring at you. They remember you from the highway.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain2222 View Post
Oh I meant to add please don't ask if its all in my mind, it is not. I think many guys know exactly what I'm talking about
I try to smile more these days, but my default look is fairly stoic. Part of that comes from the personality that I've always had, part of that comes from the military (which undoubtedly shaped the way I look at others, speak, and carry myself). Two deployments have trained my brain to be hyper observant, so if someone's in my vicinity there's no way I'm going to not be aware of them.

I really don't try to look at people in stores, perhaps for fear of committing some kind of offense, or (gasp!) maybe even one of those mythical micro-aggressions that I keep hearing about. But then on the other hand you have people who actually want to be seen, so it's one of those damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't type deals.

Sorry if people do in fact look at you oddly, but yes indeed it is likely in your head. It's likely you've already convinced yourself that this isn't the case though.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:22 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's human nature to look at one of your own species who looks bizarre by choice.

What do you think chimps would do, if another chimp in the group turned up purple one day? Do you think they'd ignore it? No way. They might eventually accept it, but there would be much ado about the purple chimp.

If someone goes out of his/her way to look different, they are inviting attention because of it; they do it because they WANT attention. So it makes no sense to complain when they get it.

Well,lots of obese people get the same reactions as the OP too(My dad does and he is 590 pounds and 6ft)

I also have a relative with no arms who gets the same disgusting looks.

Some people do not go out of their way to look different;it is just how they are.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 976 times
Hey, dont listen to some of these people they have no clue.
its not in ur head believe me.. men have some vendvendetta on me too.. say what u want guys but if u walked by me u would be just like every other man and look at me like im some animal.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:43 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
I guess I'm weird. I don't give random people a second thought.

It might not be about you, really.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:41 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Default ...

Quote:
I'm so tired of getting dirty looks from men. I have tried ignoring them, telling them off, giving them dirty looks back and just walking away from it. Its because I don't look attractive but why do they care? I don't do anything wrong either which makes me even more angry. I just walk into a store and men have the most evil look on their face like I ruined their day. I want to punch them but I can't. Sometimes I walking in a parking lot to go into a store and a man will just start coughing, hacking and spitting because I walked by, to try to intimidate me...
I try to ignore it by realizing they are pathetic but it's not enough.. I am building my self esteem because I was raised without it but it's hard because I don't get a llot of support minus the crap I have to deal with on a daily basis. Men believe that if a women is beautiful, she deserves kindess and anything less deserves to be ignored or ridiculed. Maybe not for older women but young women this is true. How do I deal with it without so much anger anymore because I don't need their negativity in my life?
LOL ...
You are looking at them too otherwise you would not notice them.

I 100% agree with the blue part though.
I think regardless if you are male or female there are some people that make fun of other people to make themselves feel better. It is totally pathetic and it says a lot a about someone's character... but there are lots of people out there like that.

You coud also be misinterpreting the looks too. I often zone out and might me looking in a direction but thinking about something totally different.

If you want to have some fun with it ..... just say hi, stick out your tongue or blow them a kiss.

When you are different certain people try to judge you harshly because you won't conform to their ideas or expectations. You just need to tune them out or risk driving yourself crazy.

Take a lesson on self esteem from this little girl in this music video .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxWxXncl53U

You can't control other people's reactions and behaviour ... but you can choose they way to respond to it.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:13 PM

375 posts, read 297,173 times
Quote:
Oh I meant to add please don't ask if its all in my mind, it is not. I think many guys know exactly what I'm talking about
Sorry but we don't. I certainly don't.

Are you sure you're not walking around filled with negative vibes? One of those Perma Frown gals? I see a lot of those types. There is truth to the real what you sow dynamic when it come to projecting your attitude and feelings. Exuding negative or positive energy will cause the same type to be returned back on you. This dirty energy accurate call it can be conveyed in many ways.......Facial.....Body language....Even your walk. And of course in voice tone and inflection.

But not knowing you of even having met you I cannot answer your question any better. I will say that given your previous claim that all men will agree that we give dirty looks to unattractive women shows me you have a preconceived negative attitude. Therefore my earlier idea about bad energy projection seems pretty likely to me.

I could be wrong though! Maybe you just live in an area that over represented in rude and judgemental males.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology