Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:21 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times

Advertisements

Cicero, are you involved in writing? You make long posts like many of mine! I'm an aspiring novelist in one of my guises. -- Good post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Almost posted this in Travel or even Architecture but, eh, let me start here.

I have a benign mini-obsession.

I have an attraction to driving and sometimes even walking through office/business parks during off hours.

They're oddly peaceful outside of work hours.

I like discovering the little businesses I never knew about.

Although architecturally they are utterly forgettable, there's something about the low-slung anonymous structures peppered with little public areas that's appealing.

When there's a huge expanse of emptiness and then I come upon ONE little business that seems to have people working it's even more intriguing.

I'm kinda nuts, right?
If it is a newer big corporate park they often are very nicely landscaped with lots of rolling hills, ponds, trees, and flowerbeds. They look a lot more "natural" when the parking lots are empty. Lots of times they even have nicely curving sidewalks between buildings or an overall loop that can be nice for early morning or evening walks if you're in the area.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:38 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,474 times
I like doing something like this too--
I don't go out of my way to find them but often when I do dog agility events (one of my hobbies) they are in industrial/office type areas and it's interesting to walk around and see all the businesses and what not on a closed down weekend. For instance I go to one place by a major airport and pass all of the places making the airlines foods and try to decipher by smell what the items are LOL

Old 05-02-2017, 11:41 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Maybe it's just the solitude you're attracted to elhelmete? I can totally relate to that. I love to ride my bike after midnight and into the wee hours of the morning. I remember one ride last summer where I didn't see a car or another living thing for about an hour. I loved it. I also love being in the woods alone at night. I walked through some up in Wisconsin with a full moon so bright it looked like daylight. It was incredibly beautiful, and peaceful. I needed to detox because I was with my in-laws all day It's also a real treat to go to the movies and having the whole theater to yourself. No cells phones, no people talking. Heaven. Honestly, I don't think you're crazy. I totally understand.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:39 PM

761 posts, read 604,987 times
My obsession is to live near the shore..

Old 05-02-2017, 02:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Default .....

Quote:

I have an attraction to driving and sometimes even walking through office/business parks during off hours.

Although architecturally they are utterly forgettable, there's something about the low-slung anonymous structures peppered with little public areas that's appealing.

When there's a huge expanse of emptiness and then I come upon ONE little business that seems to have people working it's even more intriguing.

I'm kinda nuts, right?
Are these habbits, interests or really obessions?

Old 05-02-2017, 03:13 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
I have a compulsion to walk around bakeries and look at all the cakes. After I get my free sample of icing, if I like it, I buy a cupcake.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:16 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,248,544 times
Quote:

I'm kinda nuts, right?
Are we talking clothes or unclothed, because that is kinda the dividing line between nuts and not nuts. No pun intended.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 PM

9,422 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:

I'm kinda nuts, right?
Wrong about nuts, and wrong about "mini-obsession." I'd call it an "interest." But if you like, call it an obsession.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:04 AM

922 posts, read 792,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
This:

I sometimes call it the "gezinta-gezouta" law: Whatever goes in must come out. And worse, everything you eat turns to p*** and s***. "I live, therefore I crap."

Actually defecation in the outdoors is much more satisfying than modern plumbing, because bent over squatting puts extra pressure on your colon and expels ... feces ... with much greater effect than sitting on your porcelain throne. -- Just remember, dig a hole, bury it when you are done, and pack the used TP out. -- It makes sense. How much different is human scat than coyote scat or cattle scat, except in size and texture?

Good to be a man when it's #1!
I used to go camping a lot in Colorado. One of my "rituals" was when it was dark, I would pee in the middle of the road (I am a girl.) Not sure why I got such a kick out of it, but I totally did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology