Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,750,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post

I'm one of those people that just because I carry a cellphone, doesn't mean I'm always available. I miss the days of landlines and answering machines.

I answer my phone if it is my husband or doctor's office calling. Other than that, nope, don't even answer it. I carry it essentially for emergency use (valuable when driving with small children in the event of car trouble, etc.) and online access while mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 08:25 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,123,841 times
It's human nature, but that does not make it okay. As I've gotten older, it's easier to find fault with young people- their appearance, music, etc- the same as my Dad did with me! Unfortunately, many young people today grow up w/o a Father in the home, so they lack that influence. That makes it easier for other influences to fill the void- celebrities, friends, etc.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I hate it when this generation criticized the next generation!! This happens with every generation.

I'm sick of hearing older people say young people are so spoiled. They had to cook their heat their leftovers over a stove, they had to find a payphone to call someone, they had black and white TV, they had no cable, listened to cassette tapes, never had the convenience of the internet to find info. They think young people are stupid, unintelligent, lazy, cannot speak or write.

It's not young people's fault that technology advances and everything is more convenient!!

The truth is that people (in any generation) are used to living life a certain way, so anything different (i.e., the way young people live) is weird and wrong.
You are correct. Older people seem to take pride in having it difficult when they were young. They walked to school because they HAD to- not because they choose the hard way! If they had a car- they would have driven to school.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:32 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You are correct. Older people seem to take pride in having it difficult when they were young. They walked to school because they HAD to- not because they choose the hard way! If they had a car- they would have driven to school.
Well I'm not proud of having it difficult. It's just the way it was. I think the younger generation doesn't know how lucky they are to have gazillions of books in one small Kindle/Nook/tablet. How just about anything you want to know you can Google. How you can be in touch with just about anyone on your cell phone.

Telling the younger peeps how we didn't get snow days. We didn't have a cafeteria, we carried a bag lunch to school. I didn't have an answering machine on my house phone. Actually, we had a party line and if one of the other three houses on our line was talking, you couldn't use your line until they hung up. We had no video games. We had no video. We had no TV. We didn't think about it much because that's the way it was. We tell you these things so you will realize that you are living in interesting times.

Do I think there are some young people who are spoiled? Sure. Not all of them. So it would be greatly appreciated that you don't tar all old people with the same brush. Some of us are worth getting to know.

BTW, hyperbole is a bad habit.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Well I'm not proud of having it difficult. It's just the way it was. I think the younger generation doesn't know how lucky they are to have gazillions of books in one small Kindle/Nook/tablet. How just about anything you want to know you can Google. How you can be in touch with just about anyone on your cell phone.

Telling the younger peeps how we didn't get snow days. We didn't have a cafeteria, we carried a bag lunch to school. I didn't have an answering machine on my house phone. Actually, we had a party line and if one of the other three houses on our line was talking, you couldn't use your line until they hung up. We had no video games. We had no video. We had no TV. We didn't think about it much because that's the way it was. We tell you these things so you will realize that you are living in interesting times.

Do I think there are some young people who are spoiled? Sure. Not all of them. So it would be greatly appreciated that you don't tar all old people with the same brush. Some of us are worth getting to know.

BTW, hyperbole is a bad habit.
I'm 58 myself, and I have to be honest here. It's just too easy to criticize the younger generation. Yes, they have a more "comfortable" life. However, the society they are growing up in has allowed standards of morality and ethics to slide way down. That is not their fault, but they have to live in todays culture. I would not want to be a high school or college student in todays world. I'm not trying to give older folks a hard time, but we do need to remember what we were like at 18 or 22.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM

29,783 posts, read 34,551,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
That is not their fault, but they have to live in todays culture. I would not want to be a high school or college student in todays world. I'm not trying to give older folks a hard time, but we do need to remember what we were like at 18 or 22.
I'm only 40, but I thank my stars every day that there was no social media when I was in school. If you were having issues with people in school, that stuff could stay at school, not follow you around 24/7. I don't envy my parent friends who have to navigate that extra layer of technology with their kids.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-01-2017 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 5 hours ago)

35,870 posts, read 18,181,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Try telling the younger generation that we didn't have all the technology and gadgets they have today and we managed to get along just fine.

If somebody called me when I was away from home, they could leave a message and I would call them when I got home. As a youngster, of course I didn't have a cell phone and I turned out okay. I wasn't kidnapped, murdered, etc. I also didn't have the anxiety if facebook friends ignored me! (What's facebook?)

I'm one of those people that just because I carry a cellphone, doesn't mean I'm always available. I miss the days of landlines and answering machines.

But, I do like technology. I'm computer literate and I was one of those people who know how to program the VCR; no flashing clock on mine.
If someone called me when I was away from home, I'd have no way to know they had called and they would have no way to leave a message. ;D Everything is relative.

If you were expecting an important call, you had to sit home by the phone or make sure someone was there to answer it. If you were carrying your groceries into the house and you heard the phone ringing, you had to drop your grocery bag in the driveway and race into the house hoping to grab the phone, although you'd have no way of knowing who was calling until the caller identified themselves after you picked up the phone.

And when the Grinch came on TV once a year, you had to be READY for it, and you had to race to the bathroom during the commercials.

Hard times, man, those were hard times. ;D

Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,021,189 times
I have a 16 yr old and 25 yr old that are both into manga and anime. I will admit I am really not into this. I'm not critical, but I just "don't get it".

Ironically, they are the ones who refuse to participate in social media. My husband and I enjoy it.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,999,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
It's strange. I see lots of criticism of the younger generation here on CD, but in my 55+ community I hardly hear it at all. In fact all of us get along very well with our children and grandkids for the most part. A lot of us welcome their help with technology and lots of other things. Most criticism is more toward politicians actually, and their lack of concern for the younger generation.
I think it the keyboard warrior phenomenon. Basically the net acts as a filter and an avoidance to backlash for saying "I don't like black people" for example. People don't have to fear saying what might easily get them in trouble.

I live in a densly 55+ area and you wouldn't believe the complaint stories that they have. They want to call young people entitled, they should look in the mirror. Continually asking for 1/3 pound of cold cut meat when you are told they cannot set the scales to that, complaining why they cannot be served over easy eggs when by food laws it is illegal to do so, complaining when they cannot get burgers that are still "mooing" again due to food laws. I often laugh about it and comment how if I say something, I'd be "entitled" for responding...

Old 06-01-2017, 11:20 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,466,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Apparently, a lot of people forget what it's like to be young, when they get older.
Don't worry, OP, you will too! Enjoy being crotchety and contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology