Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:44 AM

322 posts, read 287,187 times

Advertisements

It seems like a right of passage. I'm 22 but roll my eyes at some of the stuff 15 year olds (I have a sister in high school) do nowadays. I thought it was strange she was 10 and playing on electronics all day while when I was 10 I enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine. I guess that could be considered criticism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 08:49 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,730,337 times
Sometimes I envy the younger generation, sometimes I don't. I think everything's a trade off. Sometimes I'm slightly jealous that they grew up with all this technology that I didn't, then sometimes I think about the cyberbullying that goes on (and bullying seemed bad enough when I was a teenager in the pre-Internet days).

I don't think much on their fashions, to be honest, unless they're close to breaking public indecency laws or advertising Nazi groups or some such. Some folk criticize the sagging pants thing, but I sit here and think, "I was a young child in the age of disco and a teenager in the 80's, so I don't know that we have much room to speak on ridiculous fashions." Plus, I don't see it being a hill worth dying on. Clothes are temporary. Let the kids have their fun while they're young. They'll be middle-aged adults soon enough going for comfort/fit/practicality when the time comes. Same with hair. Actually, I love the wild colors they're doing, it looks like fun. If I could afford the upkeep/had the talent to do it myself, I'd give it a whirl. It's just hair--again, not a hill worth dying on.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:11 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You LITERALLY said you've never had an issue with the oldest generation.

And then you ripped them apart.

It's hilarious (and oh so gen-x typical) that you think the "old generation" actually loses sleep about anything you touted or claim about "them".

Also comical you said "genX HAD email and networks". Since BOOMERS invented them, you couldn't take credit.

"The Cloud"? HAHAHAHAHA I guess you're not in IT and never heard of a mainframe. Another Boomer invention.

Cable/Satellite TV? Boomers

Cell Phones/Cordless? Boomers

Internet? Boomers

Bulletin Boards/Message Boards? Boomers

CD? Boomers

Personal Computer? Boomer

Oh wait. Gates, Jobs et al? Boomers.

This is boring listing all the BOOMER tech accomplishments that actually DID change the planet.

Oh - and your Who Moved My Cheese video? Spencer Johnson, Silent Generation

The psychology of how people generalize about other people is really interesting. Here's a thought. There isn't a single thing on that list that anyone couldn't live without - or OK maybe a cellphone could save a life. It's called WELL ADJUSTED purposeful lives.
Internet was a silent invention in 1969 for intercollegiate communication between departments at schools, nice try. Now I'd agree that maybe a boom decided to make it more accessible to the public. The online message boards and e-mail (both date too early 1970's ARPANET) basically existed right then and there honestly so it is more likely it was a silent invention. I can't fight the rest of the claims but it seemed like a collaboration, which is normally how tech works especially in education which is where this tech boom got its start when Boomers were first going off to college if they weren't drafted...

Old 06-02-2017, 12:44 PM

260 posts, read 428,752 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7EpEnglgk

Old 06-02-2017, 02:02 PM

18,143 posts, read 25,340,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
You see it all the time. When rock and roll became a thing in the 50s the older generations hated it and criticized it big time.
It's called "Getting old and grumpy"

Since they can't party anymore, they hate anybody that parties

Old 06-02-2017, 02:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,630,985 times
I'm not trying to start a generation war, but the main theme is why do older generations bash on the younger ones. The oldest, I should have said silent generation. My experiences with them is fewer, but they seemed thoughtful in allowing for different approaches. Perhaps a bit stern once their mind had been made up, but that's understandable.

The boomers did a lot for the country. Foundations that subsequent generations built upon. However, the pace of change is accelerating faster than what many are comfortable with. The millenials have enough numbers, collaboration and have always had technology that they are making changes without asking permission of their elders. Silicon Valley has many leaders from all age groups, but the constant need is for more and more STEM professionals willing to take gigantic risks and move the innovation needle even faster.

So in answering the question, why do older people criticize younger people, I'm saying it's a mix. Some are fearing for the relevance in tomorrow's world. Some are control freaks and don't want things to change. Some are envious that they could have done more if they were born later. Culture, work, beliefs, priorities are all changing, and the pace of change is increasing. It was easy enough to scrape off GexX because we didn't have the numbers, but that can't be done to the millenials. There's too many of them, and they're starting the company giants that will move the needle regardless. I'm very happy for them.

If the oldest generation, the silents, disapproved of the changes being done....they were...well, silent about it.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:22 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I'm not trying to start a generation war, but the main theme is why do older generations bash on the younger ones. The oldest, I should have said silent generation. My experiences with them is fewer, but they seemed thoughtful in allowing for different approaches. Perhaps a bit stern once their mind had been made up, but that's understandable.
The Silent Generation, now relabeled the "Great" generation, are the ones who bashed the youth movements of the 60's and 70's. They were very comfortable with the oost-war prosperity and suburbia, and didn't appreciate having their cozy reality challenged, denounced as "empty materialism", and turned upside down.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:23 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,196,566 times
Quote:
You see it all the time. When rock and roll became a thing in the 50s the older generations hated it and criticized it big time. When video games came around in the early days even before things were very realistic older people hated it/criticised it. In both cases politicians liked to get in give their 2c making legislation about things they don't have the first clue about and didn't even bother to even try to understand it. Of course it goes for a lot of other things as well but it's a continuous cycle that gets repeated over and over.

And while I realize it's not every older person, the fact is it is common for them to hate on anything new and different that younger people are into. I'm not saying they have to like it but as for example politicians which usually consist of much older people why even bother getting in on something they obviously dislike/hate for whatever reasons?
Wait till you get older. You will understand

Old 06-02-2017, 05:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,649,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

The boomers did a lot for the country. Foundations that subsequent generations built upon. However, the pace of change is accelerating faster than what many are comfortable with. The millenials have enough numbers, collaboration and have always had technology that they are making changes without asking permission of their elders. Silicon Valley has many leaders from all age groups, but the constant need is for more and more STEM professionals willing to take gigantic risks and move the innovation needle even faster.

So in answering the question, why do older people criticize younger people, I'm saying it's a mix. Some are fearing for the relevance in tomorrow's world. Some are control freaks and don't want things to change. Some are envious that they could have done more if they were born later. Culture, work, beliefs, priorities are all changing, and the pace of change is increasing. It was easy enough to scrape off GexX because we didn't have the numbers, but that can't be done to the millenials. There's too many of them, and they're starting the company giants that will move the needle regardless. I'm very happy for them.

If the oldest generation, the silents, disapproved of the changes being done....they were...well, silent about it.
In other words, the older generation doesn't like anything that's different from what they're used to.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:35 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,272,968 times
Quote:
You see it all the time. When rock and roll became a thing in the 50s the older generations hated it and criticized it big time. When video games came around in the early days even before things were very realistic older people hated it/criticised it. In both cases politicians liked to get in give their 2c making legislation about things they don't have the first clue about and didn't even bother to even try to understand it. Of course it goes for a lot of other things as well but it's a continuous cycle that gets repeated over and over.

And while I realize it's not every older person, the fact is it is common for them to hate on anything new and different that younger people are into. I'm not saying they have to like it but as for example politicians which usually consist of much older people why even bother getting in on something they obviously dislike/hate for whatever reasons?
Just remember OP, everything runs in cycles. Your opinions will likely be tempered by the time your reach "older person" status. When I was a teenager I drove my mom crazy with music she couldn't relate to. My kids did the same to me, and so it goes.

I do agree that there are a lot of crotchety people out there of all ages that want to hate on things. I've lived long enough to see it from all sides now.🙂
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology