Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well, the entire story HAS been shut down.

But what gets me is...what's the mental mechanism, when you make up such a story...but the story is going to eventually collapse. How is she going to look her friends in the face? HOW is she going to look at her husband in the face? Did she not realize that someone would smell the BS and call the police to see if such a thing was reported? How is her husband going to feel, getting pulled in to something like this?

Well anyway...it still makes me wonder if this person's I.D. or facebook page was hacked, and someone else made up the whole thing, with no regard to the reputation of the real person. I don't know.
It's an urban legend.

I've seen the same story shared by several people.. The town and the stores will change - Ikea, Target, Walmart, etc but the story never does. It never actually happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 07:13 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deankendrick View Post
It has become a normal thing now for people because they are so integrated in the society. They don't think outside what they have been taught. You just to go outside from your fear zone to know people and it turns out people aren't so bad as you might think.

Pretty much this. People are over afraid of predators taking their kids and suspicious of anyone they don't know, when really not much has changed since the 1960's... there's not more predators per capita, we just have more media coverage of them.

Same goes for "extreme" weather... there's not more tornadoes or cold fronts, we just have instant information now and a media that uses scare tactics to pound "climate change" into people's heads. There's plenty of old record highs and lows still on the books for 100 years ago, though I agree CO2 levels are rising and the general trend is for higher temperatures.. there is definitely man made global warming going on, and anyone who says otherwise is not really that scientific minded. I would argue higher temps could be a good thing, and even if they aren't, it's not like the liberals I've met, who fly around the world wanting to "experience everything" are doing the environment any favors. Do as I say, not as I do mentality.

Also human behavior. As a species we have never been more peaceful.. but someone reads a story about a guy killing a dog or drowning their kids and they think "humanity has gone to hell" . NONSENSE.. humanity has always been savage. We are animals, after all. Despite our cortex and ability to think we still act mostly on emotions, which predate the thinking mind by many millions of years and are tied to the limbic system and our sense of survival. We still have strong genetic urges to kill and do other narcissistic things within us, women wanting the alpha male, etc. In nature, animals often kill competing male's offspring, the alpha males will have multiple female partners, etc. We are walking animals, whether we realize it or not. This is especially true when it comes to sexual attraction and the types of men women choose.. all animal genetically driven.

We absorb what we are taught by our parents and society, combined with genetics for a bit of unpredictability. It's really that simple. Quiet, socially awkward people aren't really to blame for being that way, their parents raised them a certain way and their genetics gave them a push as well. Likewise people who are well adjusted and happy, etc... yet we as a society place a lot of emphasis on things that are in many cases really left up to pure chance, because people don't have an understanding of science. Plus they don't teach kids how to rewire their subconscious minds in school, and even if they did, the process takes a lot of discipline and repetition, like learning any new skill.

Media as a tool of social engineering is well and alive today.

Last edited by sholomar; 08-11-2017 at 07:24 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 12:48 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,442,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's funny. We are 110 guys and 6 women at work. 1 of the women is very large and sloppy dressed. She filed a sexual harassment suit against a coworker and we are all thinking, WTF. None ever even looks at her.
So because someone is considered unattractive they can't be sexually harassed?

That's exactly the kind of mindset that harassers have- go after the one that no one will believe.

I think maybe you should re-examine exactly what you think sexual harassment is and what the purpose is of the person doing it. It rarely has anything to do with trying to get a date with the hot girl at work.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

That's exactly the kind of mindset that harassers have- go after the one that no one will believe.

I think maybe you should re-examine exactly what you think sexual harassment is and what the purpose is of the person doing it. It rarely has anything to do with trying to get a date with the hot girl at work.
Amen. Thank you for posting. I read the other comment that you replied to and was clotheslined.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:37 AM

410 posts, read 343,912 times
There is a lot of drama and untruth that gets posted to Facebook. I am not a consumer of social media anymore, but I am amazed at the number of people I know who believe every single story that gets posted. As I tell my students, the Internet is a source of information, not necessarily fact.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,177,104 times
I hate Facebook with a passion. It's just a way to brag about yourself. People who have FB friendships are pointless, since they've probably never even met most of these people.

It has also been proven to ruin people's lives:

Unplug For Your Own Good: 5 Ways Social Media Is Ruining Your Life

I've never had a FB page, and never plan on getting one. I'm not like the rest of you pathetic sheep that feel that you need to have one to be part of the "in" crowd. One of the reasons there is so little privacy these days can be directly attributed to FB & all of the suckers who post all of their personal information on there for all the world to see - you all are part of the problem.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:41 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:

Yeah, that's a step down from the "she's too ugly to be raped" argument.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:59 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,442,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I hate Facebook with a passion. It's just a way to brag about yourself. People who have FB friendships are pointless, since they've probably never even met most of these people.

I've never had a FB page, and never plan on getting one. I'm not like the rest of you pathetic sheep that feel that you need to have one to be part of the "in" crowd. One of the reasons there is so little privacy these days can be directly attributed to FB & all of the suckers who post all of their personal information on there for all the world to see - you all are part of the problem.
OR...it could be a great way for people with families and friends scattered all over the world to keep in touch, which is what I use it for.

Maybe you could tone down the "sheep" business and let people live their lives how they want to. Maybe.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:13 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,051,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post

Sounds like you are generalizing everyone on FB.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:50 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
OR...it could be a great way for people with families and friends scattered all over the world to keep in touch, which is what I use it for.

Maybe you could tone down the "sheep" business and let people live their lives how they want to. Maybe.
Right? Facebook does have its uses, only now one of those is for your aunt to post the urban legends and chain letters that she would have forwarded to you by email ten years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology