Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 11:59 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I think that some people think if you post an issue or comment on a public forum, that any type feedback is fair game. There are some miserable people here that HAVE TO deliver a Reprimand or Pass Judgement under the guise of "feedback".
There is a way to comment without attacking or belittling the poster! Do they realize personal attacking someone only makes them look mean and insecure?
That may be true but I think that posters need to be aware that when they post they may get opinions they didn't expect and that they won't like at all. If they aren't able to deal with that then a support forum is probably a more appropriate place for them to post, rather than an open forum like CD.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:21 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Along these lines of attacking one another in these groups...it's amazing and I just read some zingers from members in Health and Wellness...

Instead of wanting the best for people, it's like so many want the worst, so the zinger attacks go on and so unprofessional of the ADULTS around here. And talking about other members right in the posts...I think someone said it's against the rules here. If a person wants to attack a member, DM them and have a ball.
No, I don't think your allowed to DM people and have a ball...you might get in real trouble for personal insults...

Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, I don't think your allowed to DM people and have a ball...you might get in real trouble for personal insults...
Not what I mean, I would not DM a person and attack them. I'm talking about how some talk about me in the thread, yes they exchange comments about me in front of the whole forum, if they want to do that they can do it in their own DM to each other...not in the public scene. That's what I'm saying.

If I DM a person is a positive comment or some support. Or if I've developed a safe friendship, we exchange our frustrations now and then.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:26 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Not what I mean, I would not DM a person and attack them. I'm talking about how some talk about me in the thread, yes they exchange comments about me in front of the whole forum, if they want to do that they can do it in their own DM to each other...not in the public scene. That's what I'm saying.

If I DM a person is a positive comment or some support. Or if I've developed a safe friendship, we exchange our frustrations now and then.
Ahhhhh, ok, sorry bout that....

I just read two posts which were awful....it's no wonder kids are the way they are today, with these unthinking and cruel people for parents....? Geeze Louise..... and they're the ones if the teacher says there is a problem with Lil Johnny, they are in disbelief, and retort, "Oh no, not my lil baby. Yeah right.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Same here, I can name some who have been rude to me with my posts in general. So we both see it? I'm not a rude person but have found the need to defend myself so much around this forum. I think I'm pretty helpful for those who want my help, otherwise those who don't need to just pass my info.

Just because we come from opposite prospectives, no need to be rude, right?
Ditto. Fortunately, I'm not posting deep personal stuff anymore. This is the wrong place to seek supportive people for sure. I'm very friendly and respectful in my everyday life, but I've had to defend myself on here like nowhere else.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Ditto. Fortunately, I'm not posting deep personal stuff anymore. This is the wrong place to seek supportive people for sure. I'm very friendly and respectful in my everyday life, but I've had to defend myself on here like nowhere else.
This is more of an entertainment forum for most than an advice forum. There are some really helpful and empathetic posters for sure. But I think many view this as their version of a daily 'soap opera'.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I hear you on that and I'm learning. Some of the huge offenders say hardly anything about themselves.

As I learned in years of Positive Thinking work....what others think of me is none of my business and that is true if one "gets it"...but to work on shaming people on a public forum???? Not in my being.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:23 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Quote:
Some of the huge offenders say hardly anything about themselves.
And why do you think that is? I have my own thoughts on that.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
And why do you think that is? I have my own thoughts on that.
I don't know but also have my thoughts about some of them. There are many who are very closed and many are open. Talk about their families, and friends and many not a peep. Even people's profiles are a reflection of them.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
You have to remember how sensitive people can be. I have a friend whom I like very much, so I sent them a link to a collection of MP3 files of me playing the violin. About half the files are classical and the other half, fiddle and blues.

I have a stat counter on my pages: it gives you, not the visitor's name and email, of course, but the pages they visit and their IP address. My friend listened to four of the files, two classical and two fiddle, and emailed me back that it reminded them of "Deliverance." I was insulted. They also were located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and not where they said they were.

So, when someone insults the thing that is most important to you, and is not truthful, it's hard to trust them and stay friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology