Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

Depends on the HOA, I would say! But even with a reasonable, benevolent one, some people just can't take that loss of control. I'd probably be one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
I live in an HOA and have none of the symptoms. I must either live in the best HOA in the world or be the best adjusted individual in history. Or more likely the professor is full of Sh*t. I think I feel a case of Nutty Professor Shilling Crap Syndrome coming on.......

In reality, HOA CC&Rs are no different than the many City/State/Federal laws that you agree to follow to live where you have chosen. If people can have HOA syndrome then they can also have City, State or Federal Law Syndrome. All of those control the things people can do with their property. I always LOL when people are outraged that an HOA can put a lien on your home for non-payment of dues. Just try not paying your property taxes and see how fast the City puts your home into foreclosure.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:38 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Bottom line we are all a part of society. Society has rules . When you don't live with rules it is then called anarchy and you don't want that believe you me . I think all of this hoa business is because people don't read the rules or bi laws when they move into the hoa community and therefore lies the problem . Know what you are moving into before you move into it . we had some friends who were thinking about buying a house in a certain neighborhood that when meeting with prospective buyers you had to present your w2 s to make sure you could afford the house . The husband did not like the idea but the wife did and guess what ? 6 months in they were selling and they finally sold and bought another place without an hoa and they were much happier . Like I said bottom line know what you are moving into before signing on the dotted line .
Basically, everything you said is accurate. Often people do buy into communities with HOA's without fully understanding that type of ownership. That's their fault.

But, even if a buyer is fully aware, there is the reasonable expectation that the Board and other owners will conduct themselves fairly plus use some intelligence and reasoning when making decisions that affect the community. However, that is commonly where the problems are.

Often, average people acquire some power by being on the Board and they lose balanced perspective....that's a big issue. Also, invariably, there will be some on the Board with no business experience and some of them have wildly unrealistic ideas about how things functionally work and what adds value versus what doesn't. Also a problem.

My experience:
1 - A subdivision of 70 homes (no community amenities) with a limited HOA that covered rational aspects. It was well-managed, not intrusive and was a real plus in maintaining property values and order in that community. Thumbs up.

2 - A townhome community of 30 units. This was an astonishing nightmare! I kid you not, I witnessed about every under-handed dealing possible from a Govt. Things like budget fraud, lying, misrepresentations, self-dealing, lobbying, special interest groups, conflicts of interest. You name it! And, unfortunately, a bunch of wet noodle owners who wouldn't stand up for themselves. I was on the Board, they were the ones most guilty. I have a very hard time imagining ever own a condo again. Friends have other horror stories.

Caveat emptor.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:40 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Woof, Woof, Bark, Bark, Woof, Woof, Bark, Bark, Bark, Howl, Howl, Bark, Bark, Bark.....

Try living with that for a few nights and then come back and tell us how you are sleeping.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:44 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Woof, Woof, Bark, Bark, Woof, Woof, Bark, Bark, Bark, Howl, Howl, Bark, Bark, Bark.....

Try living with that for a few nights and then come back and tell us how you are sleeping.
There must be rules about that. Check your Bylaws and write a letter to the Board. Always communicate in print to the Board.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:44 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I think I feel a case of Nutty Professor Shilling Crap Syndrome coming on.......
LOLOL

I love how he listed all his degrees and qualification acronyms so we know he is an EXPERT.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
HOA- wherein you willingly pay others to make rules you must abide by.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:35 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's not, though. He has spoken about it at colleges in Nevada.

It's ridiculous, yes, but a little Googling shows that he is serious.
Professor Gary Solomon, A.A., B.A., M.P.H., M.S.W., Ph.D., Ph.D.(abd) may be taking himself seriously, but no one else should. None of the info available on the internet is Peer reviewed. He doesn't appear to be a professor at any university, and he's published some plays and other works of pop non-fiction.

Just because he's spoken about it at colleges and has a website, doesn't mean it is a valid area of study.

Anyone who could be said to suffer from HOA Syndrome is just as likely to have Social Anxiety Disorder. No one needs a new name for that.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:36 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I live in an HOA and have none of the symptoms. I must either live in the best HOA in the world or be the best adjusted individual in history. Or more likely the professor is full of Sh*t. I think I feel a case of Nutty Professor Shilling Crap Syndrome coming on......
The couple who cited this "professor" lives in our HOA.

They came to a meeting once stating they wanted to assert their "Second Amendment Rights." One of the Board Members was recently distributing proxies in advance of tonight's annual meeting and the wife told him to do something anatomically impossible to himself and calling him a "worthless piece of excrement (different word)," chasing him around the neighborhood. They send emails to the entire neighborhood that print out to 11 pages, single spaced.

They probably were children who "didn't play nicely with others."

Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

Just because he's spoken about it at colleges and has a website, doesn't mean it is a valid area of study.
Absolutely.

The idea is ridiculous, but he is serious about it.

Really, it's like if a resident who had a beef with his local planning commission ran for state legislator and tried to get a statewide law against his particular problem.

It's a personal grudge taken too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology