Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,322 times

Advertisements

First when I saw it I was just speechless and couldn’t believe my eyeballs- then I couldn’t stop laughing At the utter ridiculousness of it, straight absurd.
I really just.cant.believe. it.

A grown a** man, telling Dr Phil that he has a “adult baby disorder” that causes him for blah blah reasons to have to “live like a baby, complete with a custom made high chair, crib, toys, bottle and custom made “baby clothes and jammies “
and a girlfriend who I’m not sure which one is the sicker one of the two because his girlfriend obliges his “need to be a giant baby” and with a straight face reports most of her money is spent on his baby clothes, toys, etc
He is apparently not even embarrassed to sit there on national tv as if he is discussing his college program, that he’s indeed, he spends life laying in his adult size “crib” and drinking his bottle.
Then mentions he sometimes in his high chair will throw his food or have
tantrums. His girlfriend spoon feeds him his baby food while he says “no no, mama, waahhhh!!” bangs on tray for more baby food.

I’m just, wow, what? Is this for real? I didn’t hear him mention any family
Members but I have to wonder what his family would say. “well he always was a crybaby?”
Literally?
One person said no, it’s just a man who doesn’t want to work.
Good God, my dad is rolling over in his grave- adult baby man...what?

Will public places now have to provide adult size high chairs for people with adult baby syndrome? ROFLMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 06:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
I've read about this person. I do believe he has mental health issues but I don't believe his "disorder" should necessarily be legitimized. I think there is some sexual fetish going on and I don't think the taxpayer should be subsidizing this.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:07 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
I remember a story like this. When people have dysfunctional thoughts, it can lead to an endless variety of outcomes.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:31 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've read about this person. I do believe he has mental health issues but I don't believe his "disorder" should necessarily be legitimized. I think there is some sexual fetish going on and I don't think the taxpayer should be subsidizing this.
I agree, he should seek professional help and his girlfriend too for being ok to not only enable him, but to be ok with it.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
It’s not just him, this has been an underground “thing” for a long time. There used to be a show on tv that highlighted people with odd fetishes, and the baby people were one segment. There are enough of them that they sell giant adult sized cribs and diapers. I wouldn’t call it a disorder as much as a fetish though, just like the “pony play” couples.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
First when I saw it I was just speechless and couldn’t believe my eyeballs- then I couldn’t stop laughing At the utter ridiculousness of it, straight absurd.
I really just.cant.believe. it.

A grown a** man, telling Dr Phil that he has a “adult baby disorder” that causes him for blah blah reasons to have to “live like a baby, complete with a custom made high chair, crib, toys, bottle and custom made “baby clothes and jammies “
and a girlfriend who I’m not sure which one is the sicker one of the two because his girlfriend obliges his “need to be a giant baby” and with a straight face reports most of her money is spent on his baby clothes, toys, etc
He is apparently not even embarrassed to sit there on national tv as if he is discussing his college program, that he’s indeed, he spends life laying in his adult size “crib” and drinking his bottle.
Then mentions he sometimes in his high chair will throw his food or have
tantrums. His girlfriend spoon feeds him his baby food while he says “no no, mama, waahhhh!!” bangs on tray for more baby food.

I’m just, wow, what? Is this for real? I didn’t hear him mention any family
Members but I have to wonder what his family would say. “well he always was a crybaby?”
Literally?
One person said no, it’s just a man who doesn’t want to work.
Good God, my dad is rolling over in his grave- adult baby man...what?

Will public places now have to provide adult size high chairs for people with adult baby syndrome? ROFLMAO
Don't worry, this is not a recognized disorder.

No telling if the individual does have some disorder or another, in general, that contributes to atypical behavior, but, no, there is no "adult baby disorder" in the DSM-5.

If the behavior is sexually motivated, it miiiight fall under paraphilias, but paraphilias aren't necessarily categorized as disorders if they're not causing any of the participants any problems or harming anyone in any way.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Fetishes aren't necessarily disorders, though.

Something not being a societal/cultural norm isn't automatically a disorder.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:00 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
sick and gross.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I agree, he should seek professional help and his girlfriend too for being ok to not only enable him, but to be ok with it.
If it's a behavioral choice, isn't hindering his life, and nobody is being harmed, what's to seek professional help for? Serious question.

Don't misunderstand, I'm in mental health. I'm very pro therapy as needed. But for people who are perfectly happy in their lives (even when their lives are far from what is considered culturally normal) and who aren't harming anybody, and who aren't experiencing major hindrances in functioning, it's hard to think of a reason they'd seek therapy, or what they'd want to get out of it. It would be a waste of their time and a therapist's time to address something that they're not experiencing as a problem.

People are into weird stuff. If it works for them and isn't hurting anybody, though, who cares?

Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s not just him, this has been an underground “thing” for a long time. There used to be a show on tv that highlighted people with odd fetishes, and the baby people were one segment. There are enough of them that they sell giant adult sized cribs and diapers. I wouldn’t call it a disorder as much as a fetish though, just like the “pony play” couples.
Yep, definitely not a "new" thing.

People have been into a laundry list of weird stuff from time immemorial. There weren't always daytime TV shows to exploit those interests for viewership/notoriety/etc., but quirks, kinks, fetishes, etc. have been human nature as long as there have been humans. They just always haven't been broadly visible to the mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology