Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 08:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
As many have said, this ain't nothin' new. I'm involved right up to my eyeballs in my local fetish community, in fact having recently accepted a lot of volunteer responsibilities with my local club, and this fetish while relatively rare is nothing remotely like unheard-of. (Actually, they probably are more common than I'd think, because they just aren't hanging out at the club, they probably mostly play at home--I've only ever met one guy who showed up to a party in a diaper.) They tend to be grouped in with the other age players. And most of them do it as a non-sexual thing, an escape from "adulting" that is almost always temporary. Just like you are probably surrounded by people who have their own kinks and don't advertise it, the 24/7 lifestyle is a commitment that is beyond most of us with the exception of the odd "day collar" (a necklace that looks innocent but is actually a symbol of being owned or sub.) Mostly they are normal seeming people who do things you don't know about at home.

I know it seems weird, but as someone else mentioned, if you have PTSD, then doing this for a period of time (or at all times since he's lucky enough to have found a partner who consents to that, and his disabilities allow him to not have to work) lets him not have to dwell in the miserable place ruled by his trauma. Most people just knee-jerk react to the "weird" of it, but if you'd be more ok with him sitting there in normal clothing considering ending his own life because of his suffering, rather than finding peace in a "weird" way... ? If he isn't unhappy with the way he is living, and if no one else is being harmed, then as TabulaRasa has said, there is no pathology there. Furthermore I'd say that the effect he is seeking and getting, if he's anything like many of the age-players I know (most are "littles" and pretend to be small children, coloring, eating animal crackers, wearing cute PJs, hanging out in blanket forts and such) the real effect for them is a therapeutic one.

Most excessively link fetish stuff, to sex, when that's not how it is for a lot of us. A little isn't there to appeal to pedophiles by pretending to be a kid. That's where the knee jerk "omg ew!" comes from I think. They come to it full of the anxiety and stress they have as their "adult" self, then they let all of that go through the role play of a time where it simply didn't register for them, when they get into "head space", and they come out of it relaxed and refreshed and renewed. The "Bigs" or "Mommies/Daddies" in those relationships are usually just loving and protective people. They aren't creeps.

We have a saying in the community. "Your kink is not my kink and that's ok." As long as it's consenting adults, we don't judge. The whole age play thing is very much "not my kink" but I've come to understand where some of my friends come from in their enjoyment of it.

And I think that it isn't his ABDL thing that drives him getting disability (and maybe he's gaming that system, maybe not, that is a separate discussion and even if he is, so are many people maybe) it's more like getting disability enables him to more fully explore his ABDL lifestyle. Just like if you enjoyed quilting but never had time, then found yourself disabled and thus able to be home all the time then you would suddenly get more into quilting. He's got time on his hands; this is what he's going with it. Whatever.
They are pretending to have sex with children, but they aren't freaks? I understand you want to defend the Lifestyle, but no, this is not therapy prescribed by any reputable psychologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Was anybody arguing that the behavior is prescribed by a psychologist?

Old 07-13-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Was anybody arguing that the behavior is prescribed by a psychologist?
No, but it was said to be 'therapeutic' as if this is a healthy way to cope/heal.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 PM

Definition of therapeutic
1 : of or relating to the treatment of disease or disorders by remedial agents or methods : curative, medicinal

Old 07-13-2018, 09:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I believe the context was that it may be serving as stress relief.

If nobody, including the person himself, is in danger of harm, what is problematic?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I believe the context was that it may be serving as stress relief.

If nobody, including the person himself, is in danger of harm, what is problematic?
For me? Nothing. For them? A lot. It's my opinion and it isn't changing. No sense in going back and forth about it.

I do not agree with the normalization of so many things that are NOT normal. I know, take it up with the DSM. But I would argue that many of them are experiencing the criteria. It's getting in the way of their job, family, other relationships, etc.

Sure, if one is disabled already being an alcoholic isn't going to further interfere in many cases, but that still makes one an alcoholic, to use an imperfect analogy.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They are pretending to have sex with children, but they aren't freaks? I understand you want to defend the Lifestyle, but no, this is not therapy prescribed by any reputable psychologist.
They don’t pretend to have sex with children. The partner simply takes care of the person as if he were a baby. They may get some sexual pleasure out of doing so but they are not actually having sex with someone dressed in a diaper

Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They don’t pretend to have sex with children. The partner simply takes care of the person as if he were a baby. They may get some sexual pleasure out of doing so but they are not actually having sex with someone dressed in a diaper
And you know this how? Some people are, I can tell you that.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
For me? Nothing. For them? A lot. It's my opinion and it isn't changing. No sense in going back and forth about it.

I do not agree with the normalization of so many things that are NOT normal. I know, take it up with the DSM. But I would argue that many of them are experiencing the criteria. It's getting in the way of their job, family, other relationships, etc.

Sure, if one is disabled already being an alcoholic isn't going to further interfere in many cases, but that still makes one an alcoholic, to use an imperfect analogy.
This is not a disorder in the DSM. The man referred to it as a disorder but that doesn’t make it so.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
And you know this how? Some people are, I can tell you that.
Because I’ve seen documentary type shows about them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology