Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:30 AM

67 posts, read 34,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm pretty sure the love of your life will not come to your front door and ring your door bell. ... I dunno, do you want to convert to LDS?

It is perfectly okay to not want a mate, that's a personal choice. But if you want a mate you're going to have to work for it.
What you speak of doesn't existing for some of us and I'm not about to argue about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 09:42 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap to my face View Post
What you speak of doesn't existing for some of us and I'm not about to argue about it.
Sounds good to me. Pick the life you want to lead, and live that life. Live long and prosper.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:55 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
It's all about vibes and your vibration . . . if you hate yourself, have nothing to offer others (in terms of kindness, personality, something), then WHY would anyone in their right mind be "interested" in you?

The pity party personality is not attractive.

Work on yourself. Develop kindness and awareness.

I don't "get" "throwing in the towel" and acting miserable.

What are your good attributes?

Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Attractiveness: All of these things denote a self confidence that is very attractive.

Are you clean? Teeth brushed? Nails clipped?

Are you well put together? Ironed and well fitted clothes, clean shoes, hair styled (can be casual style), etc

Do you have good manners?

Are you positive?

Are you respectful of others? Of yourself?

Do you listen? I mean actually listen?

Do you speak? Or do you expect the other person to keep up the conversation?

Do you have interests?

Do you read? Interested in learning?

Are you able to see things from other points of view? Can you respectfully disagree?

Do you say negative things about yourself? "I never get a second date" "Nice guys finish last." "I don't understand why people don't like me." When you say negative things about yourself, people believe you. You create the lack of interest.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:40 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
There could be someone out there, but if you don't put yourself out there, it's not going to happen.

If you are socially awkward, shy, have limited to no social skills, no social circle, only participate in individual hobbies, keep to yourself when out, or don't go out, it's you that are blocking yourself from opportunities that could exist.

For all the people who want to blame looks, the harsh reality is that personality, or lack thereof, is what is holding so many back. It's comfortable to want to think it's your looks. Accepting that you need to work on your personality is too much effort for some. If you don't think you're worth the effort, then you definitely won't have the effort to find a date, let alone maintain a relationship. Why would someone want to be with you when you're not in a place to offer anything to them, and don't seem to like yourself?
Having a disability, especially one that limits mobility, can make it difficult to "put yourself out there" too.

Being an introvert, I generally don't like to go out. But, when I do go somewhere, it's kind of a hassle, if my destination isn't in my neighborhood, within easy walking distance.

I think I'd like to be in a relationship. But, over the last few years, I've been getting used to the idea that it's probably not going to happen.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's all about vibes and your vibration . . . if you hate yourself, have nothing to offer others (in terms of kindness, personality, something), then WHY would anyone in their right mind be "interested" in you?

The pity party personality is not attractive.
Nobody likes pity party people. (Probably not even their ilk.) And yes, you have to bring something to the table besides a warm body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Do you say negative things about yourself? "I never get a second date" "Nice guys finish last." "I don't understand why people don't like me." When you say negative things about yourself, people believe you. You create the lack of interest.
Negativity is one of those things that are self-fulfilling. If you think you're a loser, you are a loser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Having a disability, especially one that limits mobility, can make it difficult to "put yourself out there" too.
I feel very sorry for such people. They are the one class of people who just got a bad deal in life. Hampered in finding a mate due to no fault of their own.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:13 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I feel very sorry for such people. They are the one class of people who just got a bad deal in life. Hampered in finding a mate due to no fault of their own.
Eh... life happens. As my mother used to say 'it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.' In my case a disability gives me a perfect excuse not to participate in the dating game. I'd get a lot more grief from friends and family about opting out if my legs worked.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:02 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap to my face View Post
No they don't.
Buzz-killer.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Just think of all the lonely women out there dying to meet a guy who feel the same way.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Show genuine interest by being a good listener. Ask questions.

I've "been out there" for a long time, and run into very few men who know how to listen.

I know this because being a good listener has always gotten me good results. Even though they still don't listen, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology