Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 05:35 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
A therapist by trade gives you a bill of goods. There are no guarantees. The best things in life are free. Hard work is not required. Effort is overrated. The real purpose of therapy is to make the patient feel like a valued member of society.
I didn't read that post after the first sentence, but after reading your response then reading the post (which I also disagree with pretty much everything they said) I'll also chime in that nobody "gets fixed" - it's a process that goes on until death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 08:32 PM

543 posts, read 944,233 times
I know you'll think I am joking but take up two things:

Marijuana(weed cookies are fantastic)

Astronomy(If you have the means install a small observatory in your room).

This will lift you up from this angst. Looking at the galaxies and nebulaes puts things into perspective.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:46 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I know you'll think I am joking but take up two things:

Marijuana(weed cookies are fantastic)

Astronomy(If you have the means install a small observatory in your room).

This will lift you up from this angst. Looking at the galaxies and nebulaes puts things into perspective.
I agree with the first suggestion for sure. I have a card that allows me to legally purchase it, and it is great.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 AM

543 posts, read 944,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I agree with the first suggestion for sure. I have a card that allows me to legally purchase it, and it is great.
I increased your reputation just because of what you wrote
Now...where can I come over and we smoke a J and play Call of Duty?

Old 04-23-2019, 02:18 PM

23 posts, read 15,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I work hard and long hours and make good money. I live in a great house and have all the toys a guy could ever want. But, I find myself feeling like I am useless. I have always had someone to take care of and after my divorce I just feel like there is no purpose in my life. Kill myself working and have nobody to share the fruits of my labor with. Anyone else feel this way? How do you get past it?
You sound like you're going through a really hard time and you're not alone. People that experience a profound loss of a loved one or even those that experience a significant decline in health can be left feeling lost without focus or sense or purpose. Life can be very challenging and when we lose a major part of our life the grief can hit us hard and make us question who we are or where we are going in life. The most important thing is that you reach out for support or help so you don't continue down the same path. Things can and do get better depending on how you handle it. There are so many resources, such as professional help such as grief counseling, support groups, or perhaps speaking to someone in your church if you belong to one, seek God if you believe, maybe take time off from work to regroup and refocus. If your job has an employee assistance program they can help as well. Just seek help, that is the start.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:28 PM

23 posts, read 15,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm sure others have suggested this but divorce is akin to a death. Grieving is normal but there are counselors out there who can help you get on the right emotional track for you.
I agree. Grieving is a normal process but not everyone is equipped with the most effective coping mechanisms and at times professional help can be very beneficial. We never need help dealing with our strengths, but oh how we need help at times working through our weaknesses. We are simply human, that's all.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 AM

30,899 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
As AnOrdinaryCitizen said, drugs (whether prescription or not) are there to numb you up. They don't actually fix anything underneath.

I'm horrified at how much we've embraced Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

Something's seriously amiss.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:01 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,125,824 times
Bearsdad,

You haven't responded back to your thread. Is everything ok?

Old 04-24-2019, 02:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

I'm sure others have suggested this but divorce is akin to a death. Grieving is normal but there are counselors out there who can help you get on the right emotional track for you.
It's been 8 years since the OP's divorce. I do think that divorce can leave a painful wound that is life-long. And sometimes one is never lucky enough to meet another person to partner up with after divorce.

I do think that being known deeply and satisfactorily by another person who is emotionally close to you can be something missing in one's life. I think most people often have an emotional need or desire to be known deeply by another person, and when that is missing it can leave a hole in one's heart, soul, and psyche.

Some find a way to work around this desire, and fulfill it in other ways. Others are not so lucky.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:22 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's been 8 years since the OP's divorce. I do think that divorce can leave a painful wound that is life-long. And sometimes one is never lucky enough to meet another person to partner up with after divorce.

I do think that being known deeply and satisfactorily by another person who is emotionally close to you can be something missing in one's life. I think most people often have an emotional need or desire to be known deeply by another person, and when that is missing it can leave a hole in one's heart, soul, and psyche.

Some find a way to work around this desire, and fulfill it in other ways. Others are not so lucky.
Well said, and so true. Its been 10 years since my own divorce, and I never found another woman I wanted to marry. Came close, but red flags prevented me from pulling the trigger. There is a big hole where a partner should be, at least for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology