Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 01:28 PM

8,671 posts, read 3,874,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
LOL Mr. Obvious.
If it’s so obvious, then why so much discussion on the physiological differences of the brain? Although that fact continues to be studied, it is impossible to link specific differences in application because of all of the other components which are involved (and the inability to control most of it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 01:39 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If it’s so obvious, then why so much discussion on the physiological differences of the brain? Although that fact continues to be studied, it is impossible to link specific differences in application because of all of the other components which are involved (and the inability to control most of it).
I have seen an agenda-driven distinction in the definition of "physiological."

On one hand, one group denies the role of hormones as a "physiological" component of the brain, stating that (ignoring hormones) there is no physiologically discernible difference between the male brain and the female brain, therefore there is no difference--it's all a matter of nurture.

On the other hand, that same group would also deny that homosexuality is merely a matter of nurture, even though there is also no physiological difference between a heterosexual's brain and a homosexual's brain--not even hormonal.

If the difference between male and female is nothing but nurture, how could the difference between heterosexual and homosexual be anything other than nurture?

It utterly befuddles me that any post-pubescent woman would claim with a straight face that hormones make no difference in behavior.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:02 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am a man in my early eighties, and the introductory OP comment doesn't strike me as true.

It was certainly widely true of men in my father's generation, and he epitomized it. But my feeling has been that over the decades that this model has suffered serious erosion. I know many men and women who consider the "strong silent type" to be a hangover from the past, and kind of a horse's ass pose. Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper & company are cultural relics.
I’m soon to be 51 and I don’t feel that age or growing up in said place makes a real difference now that I think about it. My dad only knew rage he was extremely physical my mom was a bit both she used her words as a way to hurt people /me. I’m pretty passive unless pushed hard. I’ve always pushed my emotions to the side as not wanting to be like either of my parents.

These days because my wife’s health I hold them in check, I don’t tell her how tired, how I feel like I’m ready to drop both physically and mentally. For the reasons i stated in post #60. Every case is different nor do I feel that this is just a white thing either. Nor is it gender based but because that’s the topic I’ll stick it.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:52 PM

720 posts, read 429,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
There are so many ways to approach this subject. But what stood out for me were the comments that, other than physiology, men and women are the same. Scientifically nothing could be further than the truth. You can google a number of different scientific articles about the difference in the way men and women process pain, emotion, material information. And many of these brain changes occur in the fetus, not after birth. This fact stands out and is worth examination:

"In adolescence, the brain activity associated with negative emotion moves from the primitive area of the brain into the cerebral cortex where language and reasoning centers are located, but this only happens in girls. This is why women are better at expressing emotion, while men seldom 'want to talk about it.'”

Here's the source: https://www.factinate.com/things/45-...ces-men-women/

Men's brains don't work the same way as women's do.
What you are saying though is that the difference in physiology is expressed differently through the psychology. If the brain is different, the physiology is the cause for the different psychology.

For example if you are not used to think about your feelings, you have poor impulse control.
Literally not using your frontal cortex makes you overreact.
And when I say frontal cortex, I don't mean just any type of thought. But logical thought. Subjective. Thinking without being confused by your emotions.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:03 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Imho, its men being doormats instead of strong men that is detrimental to their health.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Machismo?.. You tell me. I’ve witnessed this many times. Guys calling out other guys. Calling them p****** or telling them to “man up”.
Same here.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Same here.
And yet, I've been around for more than half a century, with an Army father and my own career in the military...and I don't think I've ever heard a grown man call anyone a p#$$y.

Maybe one or two referencing some distant third parties--particularly prospective military foes such as Granadans as p#$$ies. Maybe that.

But you guys are talking about a male adulthood that I haven't seen in over half a century of male adulthood.

Maybe its a Gen-X fatherhood thing. I don't think kids raised in the hippy-dippy 60s got that much into that stuff.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:15 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
anything and everything about a strong man has been …..essentially destroyed by feminists and Hollywood..

sometimes men are mislabeled as the strong silent type because on average women talk ...500 words per minute while a man is 100 words....we just can compete...so we stay silent...

Old 07-05-2019, 10:09 AM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And yet, I've been around for more than half a century, with an Army father and my own career in the military...and I don't think I've ever heard a grown man call anyone a p#$$y.

Maybe one or two referencing some distant third parties--particularly prospective military foes such as Granadans as p#$$ies. Maybe that.

But you guys are talking about a male adulthood that I haven't seen in over half a century of male adulthood.

Maybe its a Gen-X fatherhood thing. I don't think kids raised in the hippy-dippy 60s got that much into that stuff.
My ex did so, often. He would call our sons this, over and despite my objections, if either of them showed emotions or did not act tough enough. He is now 51 years old. He was Army (infantry, then artillery) and raised in Des Moines, IA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
anything and everything about a strong man has been …..essentially destroyed by feminists and Hollywood..

sometimes men are mislabeled as the strong silent type because on average women talk ...500 words per minute while a man is 100 words....we just can compete...so we stay silent...
Cute. You have just stood up and confirmed a stereotype. You should read some of the studies on this. The amount of speaking that women are doing, is always perceived to be a far higher percentage than what it really is. Men interrupt and speak over women a great deal more, too.

This link is to the actual published academic piece on the subject, but the full doc is behind a paywall (mostly sharing to confirm that this information is from a credible source.)

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...16A5693BF60C23

There have been many articles written in various news sources on this subject, too.

Do You Speak American . What Speech Do We Like Best? . Prejudice . Women | PBS

https://health.howstuffworks.com/men...ying-women.htm

For instance.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
My ex did so, often. He would call our sons this, over and despite my objections, if either of them showed emotions or did not act tough enough. He is now 51 years old. He was Army (infantry, then artillery) and raised in Des Moines, IA.

Being an Army brat and being a military careerist, I've lived all my life with and around the military.

My father was also infantry and then artillery. He fought in both Korea and Vietnam.

So did my uncles, all of them. My father-in-law, too, since I married an Army brat.

So your ex was an ass.

Don't presume all men or even a preponderance of men are such asses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology