Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

You are supposed to a knight in shining armor and her a damsel in distress
None of the above is any longer true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:22 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
By golly, you are such a man's man! If I were submissive or a doormat you're just the kind of guy I'd want ruining...I mean running... my life...
You don’t have to be submissive to be ok with a guy doing his own thing and not bending to your will. What an idiotic, asinine comment. So many complete tools with no clue in life. Amazing.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:10 PM

260 posts, read 129,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Was it ever true?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Not only was it never true, it was never expected and no boy was ever taught that he had actually to be that.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The need to be ‘relevant’ - and incorporate one’s life/knowledge/skill set in a way to support one’s self in a changing world is a different matter entirely to men being raised as ‘strong and silent’ or with the notion we can’t take our girlfriends shopping without our ‘spine’ being in jeopardy. One is a serious issue - and applies to both men and women; the latter, as I previously quoted, is foolishness.
Those middle aged men commonly do go shopping with their wives. "Husbands holding their wives' purses" and "Husbands waiting outside the store for their wives" are memes. So that's not why these men are committing suicide.

If you're talking about boys (and I use "boys" deliberately) who don't want to go shopping with their girlfriends, you're talking about a generation of children who have not assumed the responsibilities of men.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:36 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Those middle aged men commonly do go shopping with their wives. "Husbands holding their wives' purses" and "Husbands waiting outside the store for their wives" are memes. So that's not why these men are committing suicide.

If you're talking about boys (and I use "boys" deliberately) who don't want to go shopping with their girlfriends, you're talking about a generation of children who have not assumed the responsibilities of men.
I don’t correlate taking my girlfriend shopping occasionally (or watching her model clothes) with suicide; that’s simply a bizarre thought process to put all of it in the same post (and your point is lost on me). Perhaps you should elaborate.

Being ‘strong’ (mentally or physically) isn’t about degrading or insulting other men, either. It’s being confident enough in who you are not to care about what the other guy is doing.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I don’t correlate taking my girlfriend shopping occasionally (or watching her model clothes) with suicide; that’s simply a bizarre thought process to put all of it in the same post (and your point is lost on me). Perhaps you should elaborate.

Being ‘strong’ (mentally or physically) isn’t about degrading or insulting other men, either. It’s being confident enough in who you are not to care about what the other guy is doing.
You put it into the post:

Quote:
The need to be ‘relevant’ - and incorporate one’s life/knowledge/skill set in a way to support one’s self in a changing world is a different matter entirely to men being raised as ‘strong and silent’ or with the notion we can’t take our girlfriends shopping without our ‘spine’ being in jeopardy. One is a serious issue - and applies to both men and women; the latter, as I previously quoted, is foolishness.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:52 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You put it into the post:
I didn’t mention suicide - only the absurdity by which another poster was defining a man’s strength. Many of us were raised to be ‘strong’ (and it isn’t killing us). I don’t see it as harmful - in fact, ideally, women should be raised to be strong as well. The point is not to weaken men (or shouldn’t be).

Old 08-16-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I didn’t mention suicide - only the absurdity by which another poster was defining a man’s strength. Many of us were raised to be ‘strong’ (and it isn’t killing us). I don’t see it as harmful - in fact, ideally, women should be raised to be strong as well. The point is not to weaken men (or shouldn’t be).
Okay.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:18 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I still think men in general should not be emotional divas in the general public.

I have little respect for men, especially in positions of power, showing a lot of emotion especially crying. I admit I am the emotional type, but that is something I definitely am not proud of (I cry easily watching an emotional movie scene). But then again I was never in any position of power and never wanted it.

That's why I admired leaders like Ronald Reagan. Even in the most tragic of times, he always was very strong, had a strong, clear voice, that calmed and inspired people. I remember when he gave the speech during the Challenger Space Shuttle memorial, just a strong and steady voice. No cracking of voice, no breaking down in tears. I could never do such a thing, I'd be crying a river even before giving the speech.

Not long ago presidential candidate Yang starts crying like a baby when an audience member asked him about gun violence. I mean, seriously? You want this soft serve to represent your country?

Men should be strong leaders, mentally and physically, and not be this new age nonsense of men showing their emotions freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology