Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 06:46 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times

Advertisements

OP likes "bold statements" and where he lives there aren't any AA groups, psych consults etc.
It's just some very remote, depressing area without jobs and nothing to do.
He is also immune to any advice.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:27 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
For most people, they already have a problem by the time they are drinking vodka straight from the bottle. Not to say there aren't vodka connoisseurs out there, but most people who drink straight vodka do so for the "bang for your buck."

Old 10-14-2022, 08:53 PM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
That's 7 or 8 normal drinks. If you mean in one sitting? You need to go to AA or something. Doing that regularly is dangerous - liver failure! I've seen people in their 20's and 30's kill themselves that way. And it's a horrible death, btw.
This for sure. Cirrhosis of the liver is an ugly, painful death.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:03 AM

5,489 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You are going down a hellhole fast, my friend. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. You can drink the same amount every day, but with every day you will get drunker faster, your hangovers will be worse, your withdrawal symptoms will become more painful, and the physical damage will escalate.

I don't foresee a good ending for you.
Although alcoholism is in fact a progressive disease, everything you typed after your mention of that was misleading/a mischaracterization of the process by which it 'progresses'.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:00 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
I drink 1 liter of vodka when I drink. Do you think it is too much?
My god and you have to ask.... your killing yourself

Old 10-15-2022, 09:19 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Although alcoholism is in fact a progressive disease, everything you typed after your mention of that was misleading/a mischaracterization of the process by which it 'progresses'.
There is a lot of misinformation and bad advice in this thread.

The only question that needs to be answered is this.

When you start drinking...

Do you have an insatiable compulsion for more? If yes. Then you are what was formerly known as an "alcoholic". Alcohol disuse syndrome these days.

If you continue to drink frequently to excess because you can't stop in a single bout of drinking. You are going to develop the progressive disease of "alcoholISM".

An alcoholic who doesn't drink very often isn't going to progress the disease. But that is a rare breed because the reason for the compulsion to drink to enhance your mood is too strong to not do it fairly frequently.

I will say that I've heard and read the same thing that the post you were referring to mentioned. But I haven't really seen it. Most people end up being "maintenance" drinkers toward the end of their disease progression. In essence, having to drink all day long to avoid symptoms of detox appearing.

They have to keep a certain amount of alcohol in their system to avoid tremors and excessive anxiety.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:11 AM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Your profile says that you are "overweight", and "depressed". Think there could be a connection?

Old 10-15-2022, 12:16 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
That's 7 or 8 normal drinks. If you mean in one sitting? You need to go to AA or something. Doing that regularly is dangerous - liver failure! I've seen people in their 20's and 30's kill themselves that way. And it's a horrible death, btw.
It's 30 drinks of hard liquor. One drink of spirits is one ounce. There are about 35 ounces in a liter. Anyone who can drink a liter of vodka in a day or less is a hard core alcoholic.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:24 PM

13,748 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There is a lot of misinformation and bad advice in this thread.

The only question that needs to be answered is this.

When you start drinking...

Do you have an insatiable compulsion for more? If yes. Then you are what was formerly known as an "alcoholic". Alcohol disuse syndrome these days.

If you continue to drink frequently to excess because you can't stop in a single bout of drinking. You are going to develop the progressive disease of "alcoholISM".

An alcoholic who doesn't drink very often isn't going to progress the disease. But that is a rare breed because the reason for the compulsion to drink to enhance your mood is too strong to not do it fairly frequently.

I will say that I've heard and read the same thing that the post you were referring to mentioned. But I haven't really seen it. Most people end up being "maintenance" drinkers toward the end of their disease progression. In essence, having to drink all day long to avoid symptoms of detox appearing.

They have to keep a certain amount of alcohol in their system to avoid tremors and excessive anxiety.
Towards the end of my drinking alcohol was no longer working. By this I mean I wasn't finding much relief. A few drinks would level me off, square me away so to speak but not much more. My fear of getting sober was the idea I wouldn't be able to drink at all. I didn't want to stop drinking but to get it under control.

Unfortunately, controlled drinking never worked for me. Which isn't to say I blew every time I drank but after 15 years of serious drinking I had a track record that wasn't good. I could never be sure when I would cross that line and have one too many.

As far as detoxing: I stopped cold turkey. I had no money to see a doctor, no insurance for rehab. I could toss a buck in the AA basket after a meeting but that was about it. Nevertheless, that first week it felt good waking up without a handover and not having the obsession to drink.

Over the years I only experienced the shakes a few times in the morning. It was embarrassing because I couldn't stop the shaking in my hands and a couple of co-workers commented on this.

Last edited by john3232; 10-15-2022 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-15-2022, 12:29 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
My god and you have to ask.... your killing yourself
I am afraid, he just wanted to brag...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology