Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 01:02 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,251,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Why not just say no if you’re suspicious of their ‘motive’ (lol) or don’t want them to ask you a question. It’s simple and straightforward.

Actually, asking ‘why do you need to ask me a question’ appears elusive and defensive as well.

Heh, you are not contractually obligated to answer if you change your mind (nor is it a trap); it doesn’t make any difference whether they preface their question with a request for permission to ask or not.

That said, can I ask you a question? Kidding, of course, but your perspective sounds rather defensive/angry, as a whole.
I am not angry or defensive in person when I get asked "Can I ask you a question?"
My answer is usually "sure".
If I don't like the question I am pretty good at deflecting.

The thread just reminds me that I find this type of question is often a red flag warning that I am about to be cross examined.
Since no one really needs permission to ask a question, why the "politeness"?
And if you already know (or think you know) the answer, then no need to "ask" at all, just come right out and say what is on your mind, no need for confirmation from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 01:16 PM

36,445 posts, read 16,054,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am hard of hearing. If you asked me a question straight off, I am very unlikely to understand or respond, even with my hearing aids on.

Getting my attention first with an introduction like "can I ask you a question", helps me a lot. If the person asking you a question is hard of hearing, they may say "can I ask you a question", because they appreciate it for themselves and may forget that not everybody needs it the way we do.
I need to make sure they have my attention too. They can ask whatever they want, doesn't mean I'll answer it. I usually say Hi, may I ask you a question?

Old 04-30-2024, 01:27 PM

1,992 posts, read 956,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
And hard to avoid when it is a spouse or other household member.
I don't get that from family members or friends; they just ask because they know I'll decide to answer or not. It's usually a stranger or acquaintance that will ask that, and I will answer in kind. It could be a rude question or it might be completely innocent.

Old 04-30-2024, 01:31 PM

8,727 posts, read 3,904,407 times
Quote:
And it is sort of a trap. If you say "yes" (the expected answer) then you are kind of committing to answering whatever the question is (usually something that puts you on the spot).
Quote:
A good answer is "Why do you need to ask me a question?" which might flush out the motive or even better "never mind".
Quote:
I am not angry or defensive in person when I get asked "Can I ask you a question?"
Then why did you state a good answer is ‘why do you need to ask me a question’ relative to their potential motive, lol (or that it’s a trap which ultimately ‘puts you on the spot’). You sound as though you have many skeletons in your closet; again, kidding. :-)

Old 04-30-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Then why did you state a good answer is ‘why do you need to ask me a question’ relative to their potential motive, lol (or that it’s a trap which ultimately ‘puts you on the spot’). You sound as though you have many skeletons in your closet; again, kidding. :-)
No more skeletons than the average person. I am not referring to them anyway.
It's more in the line of "Why?" questions that are really not questions at all.
Ex: Can I ask you a question?
Ok.
Why don't you like my mother?

Old 04-30-2024, 02:10 PM

8,727 posts, read 3,904,407 times
Quote:
The thread just reminds me that I find this type of question is often a red flag warning that I am about to be cross examined.
Quote:
And it is sort of a trap. If you say "yes" (the expected answer) then you are kind of committing to answering whatever the question is (usually something that puts you on the spot).
Quote:
A good answer is "Why do you need to ask me a question?" which might flush out the motive or even better "never mind".
Quote:
Quote:
Ok.
Again, I was kidding re: skeletons relative to your various posts in this thread and your immediate thought you’re about to be ‘cross-examined’; it didn’t call for a serious response.

That said, from my perspective, it’s harmless to ask permission prior to a question. I wouldn’t analyze it; I’d say ‘sure’ and then answer the question, if/when appropriate relative to how well I know or like them. You’re making it more complicated than it need be.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:11 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,717,794 times
Quote:
Ok.
I can imagine some people who are kind of passive aggressive doing this.

But if they did not do it this way, they'd find another way. Like so many things, the underlying intent probably matters more than whatever words are used to execute it, no?

But like if I pop my head into my husband's room and say, "Hey can I ask you something?" then I wait a moment for him to pause his Youtube video he's watching or whatever and be like, "yeah what's up?"

"Did you already feed the cat? I know he's a con artist..."
"Would you like to go see a movie this weekend?"
"Do you mind if I move your car?"
"Were you planning on going to the store today? Could you pick up trash bags? Thanks!"

etc

That's a very different interaction.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:14 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
Quote:
"Can I ask you a question?" is often a prelude to an intrusive and/or confrontational inquiry.
Saying "no" puts you in the position of appearing elusive, defensive and brusque.

Almost all of the time, the phrase is innocent and a simple interrogative. However... remembering back to my time working at the state hospital, there were at least two patients that used it regularly as a pry or opening to engage and then quickly slip into their own issues in one way or another. As such, it crossed the line into manipulation. Their use of the phrase was close to constant, borderline aggressive, and unlike the way others might ask it.

In such cases, I have to wonder if the individuals were too abrupt and demanding as children in a non-supportive family, and their defense against being told that it is impolite to interrupt was "Can I ask you a question?" to give the parent or adult notice and ask if the timing was alright without getting a beating.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:21 PM

OK I will clarify. "Can I ask you a question?" may or may not signify trouble ahead.
I am thinking more of "Do you mind if I ask you a question?"
To me this sounds like "I know you probably won't like me asking, but ....".

Old 04-30-2024, 04:28 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We have better stuff to worry/be offended about, imo.
This. I guess if we don't have enough issues, we need to find some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology