Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

I think self-esteem has to be the most overrated and destructive concept today.

Now, before you all stand up on your chairs and begin shouting at me, consider this: Self-esteem is something that comes from accomplishing things, not just breathing and getting out of bed in the morning. So when somebody talks about boosting somebody else's self-esteem, I always think, "Great! Get them to do something that will make themselves proud."

If you're fat, you're that way because you ate too much and didn't exercise. If you want self-esteem, then you earn it by shedding the pounds, not just because you think about doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'm hoping that if enough people tell me I'm a rocket scientist, someday I will finally make it to outer space!!! My goal (and I hate to admit this in public...) is to be probed relentlessly by aliens.
wow that's a pretty kinky fantasy you've got there lol

Old 12-05-2008, 11:05 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
No! It's not a fantasy ... it's a goal!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:12 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I'm not into reality shows but I did catch a show called Made with one of my sons the other day. On the show the 5'2" 218 lb girl wanted to be a model and her friends and two decent looking thin sisters said go for it. Mom and Dad weren't even in the show till the end so I guess not wanting to be cruel they just went along with it. I'm thinking Model Truck. The girl cried throughout the show because she was winded climbing a flight of stairs had a hard time staying motivated, ate continuously, I'm talking entire boxes of cookies, Anyway by the end of the show after a trainer worked with her she had dropped to 187 lbs at 5' 2" and they all told her she was hot so she started saying it too.

I know some of you will think I'm cruel but if I run this same scenario through my mind with the main character being a guy it just doesn't work. A 5' 2" 187 lb guy is still a fat guy and if he started strutting his stuff on stage he would look like Chris Farley in the SNL skit he did with Patrick Swayze.

I wouldn't call something on just one show a trend but........

There is nothing wrong with boosting one's ego but lot's wrong with lying to do it.
This is where Simon on American Idol gets so much flack....he's telling people the truth...is he nice about it? Not really but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

There are plus-sized models out there that are beautiful.

I don't watch these so called reality shows for just this reason. The are designed to publicly humiliate people. I just don't see the entertainment value in that.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 AM

403 posts, read 1,120,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Now, before you all stand up on your chairs and begin shouting at me, consider this: Self-esteem is something that comes from accomplishing things, not just breathing and getting out of bed in the morning. So when somebody talks about boosting somebody else's self-esteem, I always think, "Great! Get them to do something that will make themselves proud."

If you're fat, you're that way because you ate too much and didn't exercise. If you want self-esteem, then you earn it by shedding the pounds, not just because you think about doing it.
the, you, nail, hit, head, on, the--rearrange into the proper order for your self-esteem boost. Rep sent your way.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
I don't watch these so called reality shows for just this reason. The are designed to publicly humiliate people. I just don't see the entertainment value in that.
I don't either. I will admit to being a Survivor fan years ago, but most of these shows are completely idiotic.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
wow that's a pretty kinky fantasy you've got there lol
Uh huh, sounds pretty cool if you ask me! Why didn't I think of it?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
I agree, the producers of the show are exploiting the people that ask to be on it. No one show doesn't show a trend exactly but plus size models...yeah ok!

I don't like reality shows because its not my reality.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I don't like reality shows because its not my reality.
And thank goodness for that!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Funny you should say that. Years ago at the public library I saw this book while I was browsing through the aisle called, "The Self-Esteem Trap" or it was something like "The Misconceptons of Self Esteem"...no...I'm sure it was "The Self Esteem Myth"

I could go back to the library and check it out if it's still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology