Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on what the deal is with extremely argumentative people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 11:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Some people who do this Artsy are just control freaks. Some of them only feel powerful when they are bullying others. Others are just so frustrated about life in general that they become negative and have to disagree with all around them just for the sake of disagreeing.

The key is not letting them throw you off balance In addition, you just have to make up your mind that you will NOT let this person draw you into having an argument. You can just smile at them and say, I AM NOT going to argue with you, we will just have to agree to disagree. When they continue (which they will) you just smile and repeat yourself as many times as it takes for them to give up. Sometimes (if it's a person you really do love or like) you can say, I love/like you too much to argue with you about anything - smile and repeat as many times as is necessary.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:18 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Are you looking for some insight into yourself?

Old 12-14-2008, 07:39 AM

443 posts, read 564,981 times
I find it best to smile and say that you have no opinion on the matter and move on to the weather or something equally insipid. If that doesnt work tell them that you dont care about that subject one way or another, and beat a hasty retreat.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:46 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
I find it best to smile and say that you have no opinion on the matter and move on to the weather or something equally insipid. If that doesnt work tell them that you dont care about that subject one way or another, and beat a hasty retreat.
I agree. It's pretty easy not to argue with people who want to argue. The old saying, "It takes two to tango," is correct.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
People can't handle it when other people think differently than they do so they lash out. I try not to respond to this but sometimes I get sucked in and then I want to smack myself. We all need to realize there are many different people, from many different areas, with many different life experiences here. There is "no way" we will all agree at all times. I do wish the bashing would stop though when someone states their opinion. None of us walk in each others shoes so we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Then again some people just like to fight.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I won't argue with them.. One guy who tried and tried finally gave up when I looked at him and asked "WHO the heck CARES?"... Then I just advoid them..

So many people do not know how to have a conversation and that is the only way they know how to converse with people.... and they wonder why people advoid them..

We have one guy at work that when he walks in the room, everybody just gets up and leaves. He is loud, takes over any conversation going on, knows EVERYTHING, talks loudly over everybody else.. He dosen't even notice everybody gets up and leaves when he enters the room.. I have told him several times to just SHUT UP but he keeps on.. He missed the proper conversation 101 class in school.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:05 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
JUST WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THIS?!?! HUH??

It entirely depends on the situation.

If it's a co-worker, I just go back to work and leave them there arguing to air.

If it's at home, I take my beating and like it.

If it's anywhere else, I walk away.

If it's here, I can give as well as can take. Usually.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
To avoid them, it's easy--don't come to CData.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
To avoid them, it's easy--don't come to CData.

LOL! Yeah, join the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology