Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,160,198 times

Advertisements

ok so one thing has been intriguing me. yesterday we drove thru Venice on 41 to Siesta key.
on the way we must have seen at least 10 people waving signs mainly cash for gold.
now how many people go out for the day laden with their gold and then think 'oh look at that guy waving a sign I must go in and sell my gold'

i mean do people really think these human signs work ??

and what about the poor souls stuck out in the heat ?

lets say they pay these people 40 bucks a day thats 200 a week or 10 grand a year. as Mrs S commented they could run a good website and some adverts for well under that.

or are these walking signboards doing it for love/being punished,humiliated or what???

I just dont get it.period
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,378,289 times
I have never understood the human signs either. Not once has one of them given me the urge to pull in and sell my wedding ring or go buy a pizza. Seems the human signs are for just about anything from cell phones to pizza!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,012,629 times
It's getting ridiculous. It seems every corner has one (at least). Now I see they're sitting on the advertising benches holding their sign in front of the paid advertiser. I would be pissed if I paid for that bench advertisement! The other day, one guy for Metro PCS was on the side of 41 and the huge sign was sticking out in the traffic lane!! Many municipalities are now restricting the areas and sizes of signs, and some are completely banning them (which I wish all cities would do). They are a distraction to drivers (which is the main purpose) and a safety hazard.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 AM

700 posts, read 1,822,035 times
The correct term is 'Sign Shaker'. Do a craigslist search and you'll find they get paid from 8 to 12 bux an hour. Myself, I don't see the benefit either. I think it started in Ft Myers. Saw a segment on it about a year ago. They 'say' with so many businesses that closed, the sign shakers show the traffic that the business is indeed open.
I suspect once summer gets here they will go away.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,505,601 times
It's not just a SW Florida thing. We had them in Virginia also. They did seem to pop-up right around the time of the downturn in the economy. Just seems like another form of advertising to me. I suppose like any other form it works for some people and/or businesses and not for others.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM

166 posts, read 370,570 times
How'd you like to show up for work one day and they say you've been replaced and your replacment is a pole! The worst Human signs are the ones for Liberty Tax service. They are usually dressed as Uncle Sam or the Statue of Liberty, they tend to be the most animated and unfortunately very distracting to some drivers.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM

378 posts, read 630,467 times
I really want to give them a drink of water and a hat!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:18 AM

531 posts, read 1,163,358 times
Default Sign shakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
I really want to give them a drink of water and a hat!
YESssss........me too! AND.......I always think about the NEXT person who has to climb into that stinky, sweaty costume.......YIKES!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,562,941 times
I think it is distracting. It takes your eye off the road when driving. Some places will not allow it. For some people though, that is their only job. It must work for some businesses or I don't think they would keep doing it.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 AM

700 posts, read 1,822,035 times
Just read in the Charlotte Sun that the holders were just approved last year to help out the businesses. Wonder how long that will last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte