Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM

50 posts, read 150,855 times

Advertisements

Relocating from KY to Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda/Arcadia area and would like some advice on manufactured home communties for over 55 adults, us.

I've read several threads and find that you people have been very helpful to everyone so here I am.

These are a couple of communities that I've been able to find in google searches and they look pretty nice in street view.

Port Charlotte Village
1000 Kings Hwy , Port Charlotte, FL 33980

ARCADIA VILLAGE | 2692 NE Hwy. 70, #532, Arcadia, FL 34266

I've called the community in Arcadia and the woman who answered was so nice, we were ready to jump in the truck and drive right down that day! If the rest of the people in this area of FL are as nice, we're going to love it down there!

I have not had the chance to call the Port Charlotte place yet.

We are planning on driving down there in our RV in a couple of weeks. So far, the plan is to stay for 3 months at Arcadia Village, in the RV, while we wait for our house to sell in KY.

My husband is a commercial airline pilot, just lost his 25 yr job as a Captain with Comair, a Delta connection carrier. We've been living in KY, near CVG, since that's where he was based. Delta has dumped the company and they will be done at the end of this month, Sept 29, although my husband is flying his very last 4-day trip today through Sunday and then he's out of work, done.

We need to sell our house here in KY, have been preparing it to list on the MLS for a month now, since we found out he'd be out of a job soon. We should have it ready to list by the end of the month.

He doesn't think he will be flying again, as there are no pilot jobs in the USA where he can make the same pay we're used to and he doesn't want to go fly in China where the jobs are and he doesn't want to start over as a first officer at 15K a year with another company after spending 25 yrs to get where he was at Comair.

He's preparing to go into trucking, OTR and will probably attend a CDL school in Florida after we get there and get somewhat settled in. Then, he is looking at applying with USXpress out of Jacksonville, FL and maybe Armellini in Palm City FL and eventually maybe WalMart, after he gets some experience, since they don't seem to hire out of CDL school.

But in the meantime, we're unemployed and it's going to be a little tough going, money-wise, so I'm prepared to live in the travel trailer until the house sells here in KY, which could take some time. We have a little severance pay coming for a few months, hopefully that will cover expenses for awhile without us having to use money from our 401K and pay taxes on that money. But if we have to, what are you going to do? What a mess we're in ...

I'm 62 and he's 51 so we are looking at over 55 communities and looking at manufactured homes because we might be able to afford one of those. Certainly we won't be able to afford to live the way we've been used to living on his pilot pay. Not anymore. But that's OK. As long as we're together, we'll be fine. We keep saying that.

I'm a photographer so I have a little income from stock photography sales. I had a studio here in town and closed it down so we can move, it wasn't making enough money to support us anyway. He wants me to team drive with him OTR, not sure I can do that, but if I have to do that to help support us, I will.

So after all that ... does anyone have any info on manufactured home communities that they can share with me? I like the looks of Port Charlotte Village, from the street view on google maps, it looks nice, well kept. But I wonder about them blowing away in the wind! They must be tied down good I guess, they're still there, right?

Thanks for any help you all might have for us.
Annie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Are you familiar with the different type of manufactured/mobile home communities? Some are land owned and others are lot rent. You can go to www.mhvillage.com to view some of the mobile home communities and see homes for sale. If you are looking for land owned communities you can search for mobile homes in the MLS at Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS.

The towns and communities of Port Charlotte and Arcadia are very different. Port Charlotte has a mall and almost any kind of resource that you would be looking for such as shopping, restaurants, grocery, gas, medical facilities, parks, etc. Arcadia is much more rural and farm country living with very few amenities. Just depending on the lifestyle and options you are looking for. You need to look at the differences in fees in the parks and amenities and lifestyle.

Port Charlotte Village - There are two mobile homes for sale in Port Charlotte Village in the MLS. They are a Co-Op where you own shares of land. Their homeowner association fees are $195 per month. Here is a link to their web page - Welcome to Charlotte Village - A resident owned community in Port Charlotte, Florida. It is convenient to everything.

Arcadia Village - Here is a web link to their community - Arcadia Village - Active Retirement in Arcadia Village. I believe this park is land-leased since they are not in the MLS and they are on the Mobile Home Village web site.

Here is a blog I wrote about mobile homes.

What's the attraction of mobile home parks in Southwest Florida?
There are many mobile home parks scattered across Florida. You need to be aware of the differences. There are land-lease parks which are more economical and there are resident-owned parks for a more permanent home. Land-leased communities often sell out to developers as land becomes more valuable. You still own your home and can move it to a new park if this happens, but the cost of transporting the home can be too much for some and they are forced to sell. Be aware and ask the park about this and what your rights are if the park is sold. You should check your agreement.

Many of the parks are for over age 55 and are so-called Mobile Home Retirement Communities. A manufactured home is called a mobile home when it is built before June 1976. After that date, it is called a manufactured home. Many communities have a mixture of ages.

Why would you want to live in a mobile home park? Most people that choose this style of living enjoy the convenience and the low maintenance around the exterior of the property. No more grass cutting, which is a plus at retirement age. It is an efficient and economical way to live comfortably while staying active. Mobile homes are easy to take care of and provide a comfortable living space. Some have small sun rooms and patios. Another major attraction are group activities at the park's clubhouse such as social events, card games, bingo, pool, dances, shopping trips, and more. Some of the parks also offer golf, tennis, a swimming pool, golf trails, and bike trails.

Mobile homes come in a variety of sizes and styles. You can get a 2 bedroom or even a 4 bedroom. Many of the newer homes have the same amenities as a single family home such as ceramic tiled floors, stainless steel appliances, granite counters and large great rooms for entertaining. There is something for everyone.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 AM

TamRE, thanks for the info, it's really helpful to us! I honestly didn't know what to call those homes and now I know. I lived in one up in Michigan, back in 1969 when I was first married, and back then we called them 'trailers' and we lived in a 'trailer park', in fact it said trailer park in the name on the sign. My 85 yr old mother and her husband live in a double wide up in Ludington MI and she adamantly corrects anyone who calls her home a trailer, saying it's a manufactured home ("dammit"!). And some others, up in the same park where she resides, refer to their homes as mobile homes . It's confusing.

Also, thanks for the links; I'll definitely read up on the info provided there.

Your blog info is really great too. I didn't know there were differences.

The main reason we're even looking at this type of home is low cost, given our circumstances and the cards we've been dealt lately. Of course, I know that it's sitting on a slab or foundation (no basements unless you want a lake underneath you), it's tied down with hurricane straps (or whatever they call them these days) and they're more easily damaged in a storm than a house (I guess). So maybe that is why they're inexpensive compared to stick-built homes. ? I saw interior photos of one that actually had drywall walls and was amazed that it looked so much like a house! How things have changed since the 60s, huh? I love the screened porches that add more space (lanais?) and have even seen some that had large covered parking for an RV or boat (cannot remember which community anymore though, I think I looked at a couple dozen different ones between Frostproof and Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte areas).

We also don't own landscaping tools (no lawnmower, edger, blower, etc), we have had the luxury of being able to afford lawn/landscaping service here at our home so never had to buy them and cannot afford to do so now. Plus, with my husband gone flying most of the time, and with KY being so hilly, I could not have done the work anyway. So it's a plus for us to live in a place where the grounds are maintained for us.

My husband found one for around 100K listed at Port Charlotte Village and the description reads that it's an open plan with vaulted ceilings, 2 bdrm plus office, a lanai, covered parking and central a/c. Unfortunately, no interior pictures to look at, just one exterior photo. We'll have to go take a look when we get there.

Is it true that manufactured homes depreciate (like a car/truck) rather than appreciate like a house (is supposed to). Or are they easier to re-sell down there in Florida and maybe at least recoup your money, if not make more?

And lastly, this is for the area in general, not the communities ... and you all can laugh if you want, it's OK ... are there places to line dance down in that part of Florida? Or am I in the wrong State for that?

Thanks!
Annie

PS: We have a 15 lb furgirl named Kitsi, she's a ShihTzu who doesn't know she's a canine, she thinks she's human. Here is an image of her and me (that I shot of us) that was featured on the Sunday Morning edition of Good Morning America a couple years ago in a segment called "Dogs and Their Owners Who Look Alike".

Last edited by AnnieAnnie; 09-14-2012 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM

We also have a boat, not a large one, but we have a lot of fun with it. It's never seen salt water, we've only had it a few years and have only taken it up to Michigan and on the lakes in Ohio and Kentucky. We're looking forward to using it down in Florida after we get settled in. It's a Yamaha jet boat, pretty darn cool too. My husband has been googling marinas and storage places.

Here's pics of our boat.

http://www.annekitzman.com/photo-blog.html
(larger pictures here)

Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieAnnie View Post
PS: We have a 15 lb furgirl named Kitsi, she's a ShihTzu who doesn't know she's a canine, she thinks she's human. Here is an image of her and me (that I shot of us) that was featured on the Sunday Morning edition of Good Morning America a couple years ago in a segment called "Dogs and Their Owners Who Look Alike".
Actually, it was the Sunday Morning Edition of The Today Show, not GMA, oops! Memory is one of the first things to go.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM

My parents live in a 55+ golf mobile home park in Punta Gorda. The homes in there have depreciated, but not significantly. As the market keeps improving you would pretty much be able to get out of it what you paid for it. Some of the mobile home parks have their own storage area for boats, trailers, campers, etc. You may want to check into that rather than renting space or storing at a marina. There are plenty of boat ramps around to try out different locations.

Are you talking about country line dancing? There is a place called Dixie Roadhouse in Cape Coral that a lot of people like to go to. It is a bar, dance club and night club. Other than that there are some places that have line dancing on occasion such as the Moose Lodge and the Cultural Center. There is also a Country Music Club that you could join. Here is their web link - Charlotte Country*Music Club2012Est. 1976 - Home. I am not into line dancing, so I can't give more info than that. Maybe others can help you, but there are places to go.

Your dog is so cute. You would want to check the pet restrictions in the mobile home parks too. Most will allow a dog your size, but some have pet only sections within the community and they have specific places you are allowed to walk your pet. Also, most of the mobile home parks are maintenace free, but not all of them. Some will mow the lawn and weed trim but don't trim your bushes or pull your weeds in the landscaping.

There are some mobile home parks that have waterfront and boat docks and even some of the homes have a dock in the backyard. I just showed homes in these communities and sold one in Lazy River. You may want to check them out too.
Lazy River Village - Lazy River Village - Home Page
Harbor Isles - Harbor Isles Condominium Association, Inc. - Home Page
Harbor Cove - Waterfront Community in Southwest Florida - Harbor Cove - (941) 426-0666

Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 AM

38 posts, read 84,524 times
Just a few words regarding the various terms being used. Mobile, trailer homes, and manufactured homes are built with a steel frames under them. They usually are known to depreciate in value vs a "modular home" (which is built to higher standards - as are "stick" homes). Trailer homes usually still have the axles attached under them (hence the term trailer). Mobile or manufactured homes usually have them removed (though they may still remain under the house in some parks).

Modular homes appreciate in value since they cannot be moved after completion and have to have inspections for additions/upgrades, same as a "stick" home. Mobile/manufactured homes cannot have a second story added to them since they are not structurally built to the proper standards.

TamRE, I really appreciate your insight regarding real estate. You always explain things fully and yet in terms people can understand (even though a few on here disagree with your comments).

Old 09-14-2012, 11:57 AM

There are VERY few modular homes in this area of Florida. The modular homes are predominantly found on private owned land and not in 55+ mobile home communities. Rio Villa Lakes in Punta Gorda is a 55+ community with modular homes, but they don't have any for sale right now. I also think Emerald Lake in Punta Gorda has some modular homes.

Here is one for sale in Emerald Lake
Manufactured Home Community Port Charlotte/Arcadia?-emerald-lake.jpg

Old 09-14-2012, 12:29 PM

38 posts, read 84,524 times
TamRE - that's a manufacturer home. I believe it was made by Silvercrest (though I could be wrong; appears to be one of their models though). I live in a manufactured home. When I looked up the MLS listing it shows an overhead pix of the park. Those roofs are all like the park I live in here in CA.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
My parents live in a 55+ golf mobile home park in Punta Gorda. The homes in there have depreciated, but not significantly. As the market keeps improving you would pretty much be able to get out of it what you paid for it. Some of the mobile home parks have their own storage area for boats, trailers, campers, etc. You may want to check into that rather than renting space or storing at a marina. There are plenty of boat ramps around to try out different locations.

Are you talking about country line dancing? There is a place called Dixie Roadhouse in Cape Coral that a lot of people like to go to. It is a bar, dance club and night club. Other than that there are some places that have line dancing on occasion such as the Moose Lodge and the Cultural Center. There is also a Country Music Club that you could join. Here is their web link - Charlotte Country*Music Club2012Est. 1976 - Home. I am not into line dancing, so I can't give more info than that. Maybe others can help you, but there are places to go.

Your dog is so cute. You would want to check the pet restrictions in the mobile home parks too. Most will allow a dog your size, but some have pet only sections within the community and they have specific places you are allowed to walk your pet. Also, most of the mobile home parks are maintenace free, but not all of them. Some will mow the lawn and weed trim but don't trim your bushes or pull your weeds in the landscaping.

There are some mobile home parks that have waterfront and boat docks and even some of the homes have a dock in the backyard. I just showed homes in these communities and sold one in Lazy River. You may want to check them out too.
Lazy River Village - Lazy River Village - Home Page
Harbor Isles - Harbor Isles Condominium Association, Inc. - Home Page
Harbor Cove - Waterfront Community in Southwest Florida - Harbor Cove - (941) 426-0666

Yes, I was referring to country line dancing. Am I crazy or what! I love line dancing and for some reason I thought they must have real cowboys down there around Arcadia, I think I saw there is a rodeo and I was like YAY! I can't wait to take my camera to the rodeo! Imagine the photos I could get! So anyway, that led my thought process down the line dancing road ... thinking, where there are rodeos, there are cowboys/cowgirls and thus there might be line dancing... boots, hats and all. So I got excited about that! Dixie Roadhouse, OMG, I love that name, it just sounds like a fun place! I'll have to drag my husband there when we get in town.

I also love to shoot the truck/tractor pulls at the fairgrounds around here, hoping they do that type of thing down there too. Anyplace I can take a camera and capture the excitement is fun for me.

Yes, we have to take our dog into consideration too. She's never made a mess in the house, not even when she was a puppy, she came to me housebroken already, got lucky. And she doesn't shed and she's one of the fairly hypoallergenic dog breeds (so says her vet). And we keep her groomed short anyway. But some people just don't like dogs ... oh well, we deal with that all the time, it's life.

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte