Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,261 times

Advertisements

In mine and my husband's experience the terminals vary greatly in attitude regarding pat downs and harassment. The new terminal with Delta seems to have less agitated security guards than the old terminal, and I've noticed this multiple times since it has been built and we've flown through both at RDU. The security guards are downright pissed off in the old terminal - the one that bottlenecks at the top of the escalators.

It's less of a pat down at that terminal and more like a smack down.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
You are way to generous. A roll of quarters is all I'm good for.

Personally, I enjoy the pat downs and tell the that if they get any more personal, people will consider us a couple
You may want to think about the implications of a roll of quarters

Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
In mine and my husband's experience the terminals vary greatly in attitude regarding pat downs and harassment. The new terminal with Delta seems to have less agitated security guards than the old terminal, and I've noticed this multiple times since it has been built and we've flown through both at RDU. The security guards are downright pissed off in the old terminal - the one that bottlenecks at the top of the escalators.

It's less of a pat down at that terminal and more like a smack down.
The only problem with my pat down and it was Delta was the person doing it. He was the only not friendly person I dealt with at the airport. I told him it was ok and do what he needed to do but I don't think he was comfortable in doing it.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
The one good thing is that the scanners at RDU are the millimeter wave and not thebackscatter x-ray. At least the radiation from them is not a potential issue or at least no scientists have raised it with them like they have for the backscatter machines.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:44 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Default I just asked my ex

My ex flys thru RDU weekly...I just asked him if he'd had a pat down. He said he keeps asking for one but they keep turning him down.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:05 AM

15 posts, read 28,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know what is going on with these pat downs, but there is more going on here than pat downs. What do you think the motive is for these actions?
I think it's interesting the invasive patdown is triggered by refusing the naked x-ray machine. This leads me to believe a primary motive of the patdowns is: punishment and humiliation for opting out of the naked scanner.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb79 View Post
I think it's interesting the invasive patdown is triggered by refusing the naked x-ray machine. This leads me to believe a primary motive of the patdowns is: punishment and humiliation for opting out of the naked scanner.
No it is to do a security check so the bad guys don't sneak through. I have an artificial knee that always sets off the traditional machine. So they offered me the body scan and because I had a belt on the needed to check my waist. I see it all as being thorough and attempting to avoid the elevated terrorist concern becoming a reality. RDU is like any airport and if we are not diligent the bad guys will try us as a weak link and that is not a circumstance I want to subject anyone to. Surveys show that 80% of Americans approve of scanning and it is a distinct but loud minority that doesn't. My wife suggested that you have airlines with different levels of security. One could be Blow Us Up Airlines and another might be We Will Be Safe Airlines. That way everyone has a clear choice.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:21 AM

148 posts, read 559,835 times
Lewis Black did an excellent bit on scanners on the Daily Show this week. He suggested that he charge TSA a "baggage handling fee."

I feel sorry for TSA. Can you imagine working that job?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
I don't like where the TSA has gone and is going, not one bit. It's incredibly intrusive. For years, America was known (overseas) as the good ole boys of airport security. They were way too trusting, lax, and not up on the latest techniques. Now it's swung the other way. There has to be some middle ground. I feel like I'm walking into a Gulag everytime I go thru security. I don't know what I hate more than flying nowadays. It's totally put me off going overseas for mini trips, it's too much of a hassle. However, I'm going to the UK and mainland Europe in 2011 and am curious to see how they do things now compared to here.

Clearly we have to change what we've been doing so that we are more protected. But without cooperation from other countries and a sharing of techniques, info, us all being on the same page (good luck with that) we are still not protected from a threat on an incoming flight from overseas.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb79 View Post
While I wouldn't go so far as to say that punishment and humiliation are the primary motives, I absolutely agree that many individual TSA workers want to make the pat down as unpleasant as possible to discourage people from opting out of the scanner. And, of course, they're incentivized to discourage opt-outs -- imagine how bad the lines would get if even a quarter of the passengers opted out of the scanners.

In the meantime, we can continue to look forward to incidents like this. But as long as it makes 80% of the population feel safer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary