Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 07:03 PM

18 posts, read 63,844 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to relocate with our 3 children to N.C. (Raleigh, Carey or Apex) and I was wondering if I could get some input on the school system down there. The PHiladelphia school system is horrid, and that's why my children attend private schools, but I have heard that the public schools down there are exceptional. If anyone has any info or advice for looking into the school system please let me know. My children are young-- 6, 3 and 6 mos., so Elementary school would be my main focus right now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:09 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finn814 View Post
My husband and I have decided to relocate with our 3 children to N.C. (Raleigh, Carey or Apex) and I was wondering if I could get some input on the school system down there. The PHiladelphia school system is horrid, and that's why my children attend private schools, but I have heard that the public schools down there are exceptional. If anyone has any info or advice for looking into the school system please let me know. My children are young-- 6, 3 and 6 mos., so Elementary school would be my main focus right now. Thanks!
Yes, the schools are great, particularly Cary, Apex, and many Raleigh schools. Our biggest issue is handling growth and reassignments that move some kids around.
Schools are managed at the County Level.
Wake County Public School System is the Wake County Public School System website, with a LOT of school information.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:30 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,586 times
Mike is right again. The schools in Apex and Cary are great. There are some great schools in Raleigh too. Despite the growth, reassignment and year-round debate, the schools are still doing quite well. It hasn't affected the quality of the education at all.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
My kids graduated from Raleigh. Son went to millbrook HS, which isn't too high on the pecking order, but got a great education.

Overcrowding & reassignments have hurt. Probably still better than Philly.

We came here from New Orleans in 1989. Now, if you want to hear about bad schools...

Last edited by saturnfan; 07-16-2007 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 AM

187 posts, read 803,437 times
Default Philly Girl!

Hello! We just relocated and moved down from Philadelphia one month ago. I have a 6 and 3 year old. I live in West Cary in Wake county on the Chatham county border. The schools are really good. There is an adjustment because many of the schools in Wake County are on a year round schedule. So school starts July 9th. The kids go to school 9 weeks on then have 3 weeks off scattered throughout the year depending on what schedule you get. Also something that I am concerned about...The elementary schools are HUGE compared to Philadephia. My daughters elementary school in Cary a k-5th grade has 860 students compared to the 410 students she had in her elementary school in PA. Those numbers are what the standard numbers are for middle school or high school in PA. Also, there are going to be 10 first grade classes at her elementary school this year. Those numbers are a little overwhelming. There was a lawsuit here in the spring to give parents the option of attending a traditional calendar school if they chose. The traditional calendar school my children would be assigned to is 11.5 miles away compared to the 2.5 miles for the neighborhood year-round school. For now I want my kids to get to know and go to school with kids in their own neighborhood, we are open-minded and giving the year round thing a try. If it doesn't work out we will put our kids in private school here. Please note that the private school tuition here (Specifically Catholic Schools) is way higher than in Philadelphia. There are fewer Catholic Schools. The school buildings are new and to pay for the new construction the tuition is higher. For elementary school it's $5000 - $6000 where as in the Philadelphia Archdioscese the tuition was approx. $1800 per child.

When you do move here there are many things to do with your family and kids. We are enjoying the extended seasons. It was rough visiting here this Spring when we were looking for houses. It would be 80 in April in NC and we came back to snow in Philly. So good luck with your move, My Husband and I have loved it so far and so have the kids!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 AM

The year-round students need much less review at the beginning of each term. Two months off can really get you to forget your learning unless parents arrange some educational activities in the summer.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:38 PM

35 posts, read 106,431 times
I grew up in Phila and still have lots of family there. If you are in Montgomery/Bucks or one of the other outside districts it is a better school system up there. I do agree Philadelphia schools need a lot of work as I had a friend who tried teaching there and just gave up.

I would compare the results online. Definitely check out Wake County Public School System for EOG test results and also be prepared for a lot of "reassignments" that happen every year that we are not accustomed to "up North". You may move into a subdivision and think you're going to this wonderful school only to be reassigned the next year. Also, consider the gaps in your children's ages as they may end up on traditional vs. year round schedules.

We love living here as it is very family friendly and lots of blue, sunny days not the gray days from Dec till March. But, if you are used to major sports and an active city life you won't find that here. The beaches are great and less crowded than the Jersey shore. A tradeoff is the boardwalk though which my kids love and miss as we don't make that trip each summer.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,228 times
Hi all,
I am planning on making the move from LI to the Raleigh area. I have 2 kids, 2 and 8 months. They still have a little time before starting school, but it is still a big concern of mine.
I'm really not concerned one way or the other if they attend year round or regular schedule. My main concern is that they get a good education. I've been reading mixed reviews on the education. Would you all say that despite the confusing w/ schedules they are still educationaly good schools?

thanks

Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Our scores are being diluted by the influx of immigrant children who don't have a mastery of English.

Do not go by overall scores alone. My kids got a great education in Wake County. Dr Burns, the superintendant, is a great educator.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 AM

18 posts, read 63,844 times
Default How are the safety standards in Elementary Schools of Wake County

Coming from Philadelphia, a major concern for my children is their safety in the public school system. Are the public schools in Wake County SAFE? I would hate to be holding my breath every minute they are in school thinking something bad is going to happen to one of them. Are the children disciplined for behavior problems? Are they taught consequence for actions?Do the schools require parent participation in their childrens educations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary