Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 PM

5 posts, read 16,439 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We recently moved from Texas to NC, renting now, but looking for a new home (semi-custom) in the low-mid 500 range in NW-Cary (close to RTP). Through a friend, we came to know that a new section in Cameron Pond on the South-East corner has been released recently.

Lots look great for this area for the price, 0.3 to 0.4 acre cul-de-sac lots with trees/buffer behind them in tucked in a corner of the community (away from the entrance) with a pool/trails and good schools. Spec home prices at CP look lower by about 25-40K compared to similar homes offered by same builders at nearby Weycroft on crummy lots with no privacy/trees, and no pool. (hardly any lots we like left in WC)

However, our realtor showed us where the new 540 highway is coming as a negative, but looks to me about 1/2 mile away (sales agent said 0.3 miles/1500+ feet) with many rows of houses/trees in between the new lots and highway. Realtor also mentioned some lawsuit with the developer, but he thought that should not be a real concern for resales 5+ years from now, by then hopefully it will all be settled.

We have the opposite feeling, we are not much worried about the highway noise/pollution, but reading online about the lawsuit worries us a bit, seems the community prices are depressed because of that, and wondering it this might taint the community name for a long time (or forever).

Should we proceed to make an offer here as this is the only place in the area with treed/larger lots for that price with reputable builders? Also is the 25-50K price differential with WC a good price point to comparison shop?

thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
This is just my opinion, but unless they are priced significantly below where other neighborhoods are selling, I would avoid it like the plague.
There are so many options in the Triangle, I would steer clear of a place that has such an obvious issue.
Why not look at a resale. Typically, that is where you will find the best value.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 AM

15 posts, read 38,227 times
One thing to check - in the flight path where u have to disclose when u sell the house and sign a paper whixh sometime seen as negative.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Well the lawsuit is over the developer selling what had bern represented as a buffer area to the peer company fir power lines without telling anyone including the builders, their agents or the town so I guess they would be stupid to do it again so you probably would be ok.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
Also be aware that Highcroft Drive will eventually come thru the East side of Cameron Pond. It might not be 540 but it is still a road. There is a stub of Highdroft Drive on the South Side of McCrimmon Parkway already and eventually it will travel south to join with Highcroft Drive south of Green Hope School Road.

I am not sure that Cameron Pond will ever recover from its negative stigma. I think that is a shame, too, because there are some lovely homes in there on some decent lots. The problem is that if you Google 'Cameron Pond' the SECOND choice you get is 'Cameron Pond LAWSUIT'. I don't know how the negative publicity goes away, and I don't know how you sell a home in there even if it is not affected by 540 unless you give it away.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:17 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
Reading your post it seems that your Realtor is offering you some guidance about 540 noise and the impact of the lawsuit. Having engaged a Realtor it would be worth considering that advice. Another factor will be how long it will take to build out Cameron Pond with numerous lots blighted by the utility poles and the highway; maybe it will never get built out and home values will be depressed for many years to come. The $25k to $50k discount to Weycroft is there for a good reason

Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
Reading your post it seems that your Realtor is offering you some guidance about 540 noise and the impact of the lawsuit. Having engaged a Realtor it would be worth considering that advice. Another factor will be how long it will take to build out Cameron Pond with numerous lots blighted by the utility poles and the highway; maybe it will never get built out and home values will be depressed for many years to come. The $25k to $50k discount to Weycroft is there for a good reason
And 25 to 50K is chump change compared to some of the losses that have been incurred on CP resales.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
And 25 to 50K is chump change compared to some of the losses that have been incurred on CP resales.

Agree, there have been a number of short sales in Cameron Pond already. I would avoid it unless the discount were $100K below Weycroft. For new construction try Weycroft/Horton's Ridge/Village Square @Amberly (if you can handle small lot size)/Toscana or a resale in Cary Park. If set on Cameron Pond, by someone else's house at a sharp discount.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I think 20 years from now Cameron Pond will be a thriving neighborhood, with the sturm und drang merely ancient history.
Right now there is uncertainty, but the lawsuit is noise, and not appurtenant to the properties.

Much of the interior of the neighborhood will have little or no impact from powerlines in daily life.
540 will be a drone, although the west side of the community will bear the brunt of it and the powerlines.

The real concern to me is the large number of remaining lots and long term construction of homes that conform to the current neighborhood standards. The developer controls a LOT of votes.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 PM

5 posts, read 16,439 times
Thank you for everyone's feedback, we will review the spec home prices closely compared to nearby neighborhoods and make a decision based on weighing negatives versus any price/discounts offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary