Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:55 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,081,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Most flights from RDU connect through Charlotte anyway, and in not much differtn time than it would take if yu drove to Charlotte. As others have said, it'd have to be some pretty significant savings. Not sure how this worked, but I've seen cheaper flights for the same destination out of RDU than flying direct rom Charlotte.
If you're flying USAirways, then many RDU flights connect through Charlotte (legacy Piedmont Airlines hub). Since that flight is is a non-stop if you originate in Charlotte then USAirways has a captive market of sorts and prices accordingly.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 PM

222 posts, read 546,047 times
The only time I've done it is when I had to travel by myself with my then-3 year old and 7 month old. To me, it was easier to drive the 2.5 hours for them to sleep in the car and then have just the 1.5 hour direct flight rather than have to handle making a connection with the two of them. I don't really think it's usually worth it unless you are saving a ton of money or have a situation like mine where the direct flight is strongly preferred.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:09 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,718 times
I think it's pitiful that Raleigh being the Capital has less going on for it than Charlotte ??? Whats up with that ?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
I did it once, years ago.

There were about 6 of that. We actually drove to Greensboro, took a VERY SMALL PLANE back to Raleigh and then flew to Florida.

I would NEVER do it again because I don't like to fly and the small plane made me sick.

In order to not get back on that small plane, on the return trip, I got off in Raleigh but they wouldn't let my luggage off so hubby had to drive to Greensboro to get it.

Vicki

Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
I think it's pitiful that Raleigh being the Capital has less going on for it than Charlotte ??? Whats up with that ?
Not sure I get the relevance? Just off the top of my head, the capital of NJ is Trenton, NY is Albany, Virginia is Richmond, South Carolina is Columbia, California is Sacramento, etc, etc.. None of these have large airports.
Granted it does work the other way, (i.e. ATL) but its not like the vast majority of State Capital cities have large airports.

Frank

Old 02-08-2011, 03:33 PM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Not sure I get the relevance? Just off the top of my head, the capital of NJ is Trenton, NY is Albany, Virginia is Richmond, South Carolina is Columbia, California is Sacramento, etc, etc.. None of these have large airports.
Granted it does work the other way, (i.e. ATL) but its not like the vast majority of State Capital cities have large airports.

Frank

Right-O
Harrisburg PA, between Philly and Pittsburgh, may be said to have "less going for it" than either of those cities.
No big deal.

Tallahassee vs. Miami

Sacramento vs. LA, San Diego, or San Francisco

Springfield IL vs. Chicago

On and On....

Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM

476 posts, read 1,297,470 times
Thx for the feedback. Does Greensboro have any direct flights that Raleigh doesn't have? Just hoping for a miracle here .... I'd be willing to drive the 1.5 hours to Greensboro if I could get a direct flight to the Caribbean. But I am sure you all will be LYAO at this question!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiqueen View Post
Thx for the feedback. Does Greensboro have any direct flights that Raleigh doesn't have? Just hoping for a miracle here .... I'd be willing to drive the 1.5 hours to Greensboro if I could get a direct flight to the Caribbean. But I am sure you all will be LYAO at this question!
You can look here:

Piedmont Triad International Airport

Allegiant is the low fare provider out of GSO

Assume you really mean non-stop? "Direct" is airline lingo for no plane/flight number change

Daily Non-stop Service (January 2011) | Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO)

Is Punta Gorda Fl close enough?

Frank

Old 02-08-2011, 04:05 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,838 times
ironic that in yesterdays N&O the excuse for no direct West Coast flights from RDU is that air fares from RDU are 15% to 20% lower than other airports. Not sure I have seen any evidence of that in booking tickets from RDU

One challenge for RDU is overcoming a popular advantage that can serve, in some cases, as a handicap: its relatively low fares.

"The fares at other airports are 15 to 20 percent higher for the same length of haul, and that makes it easier for airlines to make a profit in some of these other places," Clark said. "Of course, I don't want to advocate that fares go up in Raleigh-Durham."

Read more: Go West, execs tell RDU - Business - NewsObserver.com

Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM

216 posts, read 539,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right-O
Harrisburg PA, between Philly and Pittsburgh, may be said to have "less going for it" than either of those cities.
No big deal.

Tallahassee vs. Miami

Sacramento vs. LA, San Diego, or San Francisco

Springfield IL vs. Chicago

On and On....
Topeka vs Wichita!

I live in Sanford and fly out Raleigh v Fayetteville 100% of the time. My work on Ft Bragg requires us to fly out of Raleigh most of the time to cut down on costs for the taxpayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary