Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM

51 posts, read 193,370 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am currently living in a suburb of Boston.
I spent the past few days doing a lot of exploring of Raleigh/Durham.

After putting 600 miles on the rental car (!) I definitely felt most comfortable in Cary.
Apex would be second - but I like that Cary is a little more "centrally located". Parts of Morrisville also felt comfortable for me.

(side note: When I was going into stores or restaurants in the area, it really warmed my heart to see how genuine, friendly, and happy everyone seemed - especially compared to up here in the North east!!)

As for my "wish list" -
Conveniences! I want to be close (no more than 10-15 minutes) from the shopping centers. And less than 5 minutes from a grocery store. (I loved that there was a Target in town!!)

Dream House =
I would like to be in a more "mature neighborhood" - but ideally a house that has some renovations. Ideally at least 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms... I would love to have an updated kitchen with plenty of counter space. Plenty of storage/closet space (as I would definitely miss not having a basement!)
Small yard on a quiet street. Under $260 would be great!

My questions would be:

1. Are you a Raleigh native? (What other towns, if any, did you live in before Cary?) -or- where did you relocate from?

2. As I was driving I noticed that someone had spray painted the house "screwed by the town of cary" - Does anyone know what that is about? Is there something I should be concerned about before choosing Cary??

3. What are the bike signs that are around? I saw one that said 3 Cary. Another that said 7 Cary.

4. How would you characterize the town of Cary and its people? Do you find a lot of the town is comprised of people who have relocated? Are people generally accepting to new comers - or is it "cliquey"?

5. Where do you generally do your shopping and entertainment?

6. Do you stay primarily in Cary? What other towns do you find yourself in routinely?

7. Do you do any of the cultural events in Durham and/or Raleigh - if so, what are they?

8. Anyone else that has moved from Boston (or out of staters) - do you miss anything? What was the most difficult part of your transition?

9. What do you like best about living in Cary?

10. What is your least favorite part about living in Cary?

11. Based on my "check list" - any neighborhoods that you could recommend in Cary? Do you think we could realistically find a house that fulfills my criteria - or are we a little too optimistic?

12. If you could private message me a Realtor recommendation? I will be possibly making another trip down in a few weeks, and would really like to have someone who is very familiar with the town!

13. Any other insight you have?

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM

792 posts, read 4,489,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2005 View Post
2. As I was driving I noticed that someone had spray painted the house "screwed by the town of cary" - Does anyone know what that is about? Is there something I should be concerned about before choosing Cary??
Search this forum. There's more info than you would ever want right here. The mayor recently posted some comments about it in his blog, see www.haroldweinbrecht.com

Quote:
3. What are the bike signs that are around? I saw one that said 3 Cary. Another that said 7 Cary.
Those are designated bike paths. They generally follow roads with dedicated bike lanes or else roads that are bike-friendly (e.g. extra wide lanes/shoulders). Have you looked at www.townofcary.org? I think there's a map of all the bike paths and greenways somewhere on there.

Quote:
4. How would you characterize the town of Cary and its people? Do you find a lot of the town is comprised of people who have relocated? Are people generally accepting to new comers - or is it "cliquey"?
It's totally up to you how you characterize it. Again search this forum for more info that you can shake a stick at. "Culture" is one of those topics that comes up almost every day. Like an a-hole, everyone has an opinion about it. I find the discussion about culture to be very boring - it's really not where you live, it's what you make of it.

Quote:
11. Based on my "check list" - any neighborhoods that you could recommend in Cary? Do you think we could realistically find a house that fulfills my criteria - or are we a little too optimistic?
It is definitely do-able. I didn't see anything on your list that is not realistic. Look at the neighborhoods bounded by Cary Parkway, High House, Maynard Rd, and Walnut Street. Your price might be a tad bit low for 4 bedrooms plus updated kitchen. But I think what you're looking for is probably out there.

Quote:
12. If you could private message me a Realtor recommendation? I will be possibly making another trip down in a few weeks, and would really like to have someone who is very familiar with the town!
There's a realtor on this forum that makes a lot of great contributions and lives right here in Cary, why not look him up?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-25-2011 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Nope -- can't add that comment, sorry

Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I am currently living in a suburb of Boston.
I spent the past few days doing a lot of exploring of Raleigh/Durham.

After putting 600 miles on the rental car (!) I definitely felt most comfortable in Cary.
Apex would be second - but I like that Cary is a little more "centrally located". Parts of Morrisville also felt comfortable for me.

(side note: When I was going into stores or restaurants in the area, it really warmed my heart to see how genuine, friendly, and happy everyone seemed - especially compared to up here in the North east!!)

As for my "wish list" -
Conveniences! I want to be close (no more than 10-15 minutes) from the shopping centers. And less than 5 minutes from a grocery store. (I loved that there was a Target in town!!)
Quote:
Dream House =
I would like to be in a more "mature neighborhood" - but ideally a house that has some renovations. Ideally at least 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms... I would love to have an updated kitchen with plenty of counter space. Plenty of storage/closet space (as I would definitely miss not having a basement!)
Small yard on a quiet street. Under $260 would be great!
This is doable.

Quote:
My questions would be:
Quote:
1. Are you a Raleigh native? (What other towns, if any, did you live in before Cary?) -or- where did you relocate from?
Moved to Cary from Lebanon, PA, in 1997

Quote:
It is a little local color. Not a worry to you, I think.
House spray painted "screwed by town of cary"

ACLU files suit against town of Cary over "Screwed" sign

Quote:
We have several designated bike routes. That does not mean that all the car drivers are bike friendly.

Quote:
I think people generally find what they seek or offer to others. But, Cary is definitely welcoming of newcomers. Cary was population of about 4000 in 1970, and growth has come from outside the area for the most part.

Quote:
Cary. Raleigh. Durham.

Quote:
6. Do you stay primarily in Cary? What other towns do you find yourself in routinely?
Cary. Raleigh. Durham.

Quote:
7. Do you do any of the cultural events in Durham and/or Raleigh - if so, what are they?
DPAC. Raleigh has several venues. I like small stuff, personal and close up. Bond Park in Cary has a small amphitheater that attracts some fun acts.

Quote:
8. Anyone else that has moved from Boston (or out of staters) - do you miss anything? What was the most difficult part of your transition?
I think most people miss immediate access to family more than anything else.

Quote:
It is easy.

Quote:
Nothing in particular, although I would like to see Town Government treat neighboring towns more as equals.

Quote:
Silverton, Oxxford Hunt, several older neighborhoods in the Heart of Cary. Northwoods. Really, a lot of opportunities, I think.
Quote:
Quote:
Cary is a very easy town in which to live. You may find that it does not offer you enough entertainment, particularly if the "2005" after "PSU" means you in your mid- to late-20's.
But, there are tons of opportunities around if you dig for them.

Quote:
Thank you so much!!
Sure. Have fun!

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-24-2011 at 05:39 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Totally agree with Mike re: Silverton, Oxxford Hunt, maybe add MacArthur Park to the mix. How many sq ft do you want?

The area you'd need here in Cary is pretty much my stomping ground. AND we are searching for a house. Not the same price range as yours, we're looking at a bit higher price point.

I've lived here since 2006. Raleigh before that. Had lived in Cary and other parts of the Triangle area growing up, so I'm very familiar with the area.

In fact, I'll bet I could name off a few houses that fit your criteria. Even with updated kitchens.

PM me if you like.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,610 times
Quote:
I'm a state native, from western NC. I lived for almost 10 years in Wilmington, and two years in Durham, before living in Cary for three years. We moved to Raleigh in '07 only to be nearer to work.

Quote:
There is a thread on this forum about this very subject - you can find with a search on the quoted words.

Quote:
Unable to answer..

Quote:
I can only speak for people I've run into such as neighbors and people at stores. Everyone was always very nice to us - our neighbors were super friendly yet respected our privacy. The people we ran into in Cary seemed to be a diverse mix.

Quote:
We lived in the Scottish Hills subdivision, so we shopped at Crossroads a lot, and visited all of the local venues for weekend entertainment (Abbey Road, etc.)

Quote:
Quote:
We check the Independent and The Stagger printed pubs, Facebook and Twitter for events and attend live rock music shows all over the area frequently.

Quote:
N/A

Quote:
We loved our neighborhood - we had Greenway trails behind our house and our dog loved her daily walks! The neighborhood was also beautiful with mature landscaping and lots of trees - very peaceful in the heart of Cary!

Quote:
Being a bit too far away from Raleigh entertainment hot-spots.

Quote:
Scottish Hills is a lovely, older neighborhood in Cary in which you may find some matches - four bedrooms, updated, in that price range might be a bit optimistic for this area.

Quote:
Our own realtor was good, but I suspect the two realtors who post most on City-Data would be your best bets - one I see has posted and another has yet to post

Quote:
Nope - best wishes on your search!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:15 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
Quote:
My questions would be:

Yup born in Raleigh...live in cary

It was a one-off. Should not be a common issue in the area.

??

People are nice. Most in Cary are from other parts of the country...i'd say 50/50. People are accepting of newcomers, but certain groups will be cliquey. It just all depends on the group.

Shopping for general stuff in Cary/Morrisville/Apex
Clothes in Raleigh or Durham
Entertainment in Raleigh 1st, Durham 2nd, Cary 3rd and that off day i'll go over to Chapel Hill or Carrboro

work on the durham/morrisville line. These areas really overlap in RTP. I primarily stay in Cary though otherwise. I'm in Raleigh a lot too as I know where a lot of places are there.

Sporting events, international festivals, beer/art/food festivals, new years festivities.

Close to work esp if gas is going to be $5/gallon soon

Boring if you're single sometimes. Pretty much a bedroom community so the area dies after 11/12 at night. The only thing open is Walmart and Harris Teeter.

???

???

Have a job before you come down. Be open to getting out of Cary every once and a while. Raleigh isn't far away and it's a lot more fun than it was when I was growing up.

Thank you so much!!
Answers in red

Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
My questions would be:

I relocated from MA almost 4 years ago

http://donfrantz.blogspot.com/2009/08/red-letter-house.htm (broken link) l

http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Pla...bicyclemap.pdf

4. How would you characterize the town of Cary and its people?Do you find a lot of the town is comprised of people who have relocated? Are people generally accepting to new comers - or is it "cliquey"? It's a mix of people. Transplants are very accepted.

Beaver Creek Commons in Apex
Crosroads Plaza
Trader Joe's

I'm not a mall person - I've only been to Southpoint in Durham and Crabtree in Raleigh once in 4 years

Entertainment is usually a playground with the kids I've been to a few restaurants in Cary and Raleigh for date nights with the husband. We like Bistro 64 in Cary and a few restaurants in Downtown Raleigh. A friend has recommended Busy Bee and Humble Pie. It's on our go to list. We've also seen U2 in Raleigh and a couple of shows at DPAC in Durham. The husband and kids have gone to Durham Bulls games. We are not college sports fans.

6. Do you stay primarily in Cary? What other towns do you find yourself in routinely? Yes, I do. I go to Raleigh about once a week

7. Do you do any of the cultural events in Durham and/or Raleigh - if so, what are they? Answered above

8.Anyone else that has moved from Boston (or out of staters) - do you miss anything? What was the most difficult part of your transition? Only touristy things like a Duck Tour or going to the North End. Not the day to day stuff. I miss some family. But most my family had already moved out of state.

9. What do you like best about living in Cary? Clean, convenient, short commute, family friendly

10. What is your least favorite part about living in Cary? Too far from the ocean. I grew up living 30 minutes or less from the ocean. Sometimes I feel landlocked.

13. Any other insight you have? No, I haven't had my coffee yet..

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-25-2011 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: No realtor recommendations, per the TOS

Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
You might also consider Weston Pointe. Some of the houses are 4 bedroom and have been upgraded.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,608 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

My questions would be:

Not a native. Relocated from NJ in 2009 due to husband's transfer.

Check out the threads on that very topic. Seems like an isolated incident.

I think Cary is a nice area, especially if you have children. Good location, shopping, enough transplants. Folks are friendly enough.

Cary, Raleigh, Apex, sometimes Holly Springs

Cary, Raleigh, Apex, Durham

DPAC, NC Theatre, various fairs in the area - there is always something going on!

I don't miss very much of the Northeast with the exception of being able to find some 'regional' grocery items.

The proximity to Raleigh and surrounding areas, the parks, the shopping

The vastness of it - there are many "pockets" of Cary that back up into so many different towns.

I think you will be able to find it. We found a brand new home in that same price range; however, it is not off High House or Cary Parkways (which in my opinion, are some of the more beautiful residential streets of Cary). I liked MacArthur Park (someone mentioned it upthread) and many of the neighborhoods in that same area.

Check you inbox!

Thank you so much!!
Good luck!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
You might also consider Weston Pointe. Some of the houses are 4 bedroom and have been upgraded.
I didn't mention it because I thought the OP was looking to stay below 260k. Are their any houses out there running below 300k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary