Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 PM

61 posts, read 121,713 times

Advertisements

I just moved to suburban N Raleigh. I am amazed that parents allow kids to ride down the middle of the road in a cart (while pulling a second one). It's not a busy road but trucks do come down the road doing the speed limit (30) as well as drivers that aren't familiar with the kids' habits.

My stepson was in an accident with a girl riding her bike in the wrong direction. She hit him and died. Moderator cut: language happens.

Does it take a village or is it a Darwinian thing?

While I would feel badly if anything happened to the kids, I would also feel badly for the driver who would have to live with something that was no fault of his/her own.

I'm new to the neighborhood and haven't met the parents (nor do I want to meet them if they allow their kids to do something so stupid).

Some people think nothing will ever happen to them but I know too well that bad things do happen.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-25-2011 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Please let the language filters do their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi512 View Post
I just moved to suburban N Raleigh. I am amazed that parents allow kids to ride down the middle of the road in a cart (while pulling a second one). ... I'm new to the neighborhood and haven't met the parents (nor do I want to meet them if they allow their kids to do something so stupid).
Wouldn't it be more productive to meet the parents and talk to them about your concerns than to rant about it in an online forum?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM

229 posts, read 704,199 times
Put the parents in the cart, and drag them into a lake...

Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM

61 posts, read 121,713 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it be more productive to meet the parents and talk to them about your concerns than to rant about it in an online forum?
I am NOT ranting about it. I'm asking how to deal with it. Perhaps someone else can give some constructive solution/advice.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
There's lots of quiet streets around here, if the kids haven't got a net set up and are playing hockey, they're using chalk to draw pictures.....Around here it's fairly constant, and drivers will take these streets very, very slowly....it's been happening since I was a kid(long time ago) There's nothing you can do about it, and if you complain, the neighbourhood kids will all hate you, I just wave, they wave back...move the net....and I drive by.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,621 times
Meeting the parents and sharing your concerns is a valid solution. what makes you think the parents knew what the kids were doing?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:32 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,911 times
so are you against kids riding their bikes in the street too?

honestly, its none of your business, but if you feel they are in danger, going to the parents and introducing yourself and expressing your concern over their kids actions is the way to go, rather than asking a bunch of people you dont know, who dont know the neighborhood and dont know the neighbors.

there's kids who do a similar thing (a 4 wheeler) on my street. I dont like it, i wouldnt let my kids do it, but... whatever. the parents are idiots ( I do know them) and .. well... whatever.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times
Is this a street in a neighborhood or a main surface road?
If its in a neighborhood, here is a suggestion, SLOW DOWN.
You mention that it would not be the fault of the driver if he hit the kids. Are you effing kidding? If the speed LIMIT is 30mph and you can't see kids ahead in enough time to slow down, than somebody needs their driving privileges revoked.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Meeting the parents and sharing your concerns is a valid solution. what makes you think the parents knew what the kids were doing?
It sounds like you are concerned about the kids, not ranting about them. I agree with Sue. Meet the parents, show your concern without being judgemental. If anything were to happen and you didn't talk to the parents, you'd feel worse. Like Sue said, maybe the parents don't even know. If they were my kids, I'd appreciate your concern.

Vicki

Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
I think generally Southerners don't worry about things. If it's happening in front of their homes, the parents probably know about it.

(I, as a Northerner, worry about everything. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary