Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,601 times

Advertisements

My son has been reassigned and I want him to stay at Centennial Middle School. I can apply for a transfer back to Centennial Middle in May 2009, but I must supply transportation to and from school each day. I can take my son each morning but he gets out of school at 2:30pm each day. I can not use any transportation linked to Wake County schools, bus, van etc.. Does anyone know of a service or a reliable person that would pick my son up each day and drop him off at home? We only live 4 miles from the school! He currently goes to the downtown YMCA but he takes a Wake County school bus there so the school board told me he can not go to the YMCA! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 03:56 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeh View Post
My son has been reassigned and I want him to stay at Centennial Middle School. I can apply for a transfer back to Centennial Middle in May 2009, but I must supply transportation to and from school each day. I can take my son each morning but he gets out of school at 2:30pm each day. I can not use any transportation linked to Wake County schools, bus, van etc.. Does anyone know of a service or a reliable person that would pick my son up each day and drop him off at home? We only live 4 miles from the school! He currently goes to the downtown YMCA but he takes a Wake County school bus there so the school board told me he can not go to the YMCA! Thanks!
You can also try putting an ad on Craigslist for ride share. Maybe some group at the school (PTA) may know another parent that can help. Are there any other programs or sports after school? Does he have any other friends in the same situation? Maybe you drive in the AM and the other parent pick up in the PM?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,209 times
Only 4 miles? Couldn't he ride a bike, at least sometimes? (granted that doesn't cover rainy days)

Old 03-31-2009, 05:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,759,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeh View Post
Try iCarpool.com.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,926 times
Or many schools have programs where the local Y sends a bus to pick them up after school, they go there and do homework, etc. and then you pick them up at the Y when you get off work.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,843 times
Although I don't have personal experience, I do see an SUV marked Lucas Transportation driving through my neighborhood with children. I cannot find a website for them. Perhaps someone on the forum has information?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:02 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,258 times
Depending on where you live, the city bus might be an option. The #11 goes right by there. 'Course, if you don't live near a bus line, forget it.

Can't say how you feel about this since I'm not a parent myself but from my perspective as a non-parent, a 13-14 year old boy is plenty old enough for this sort of thing. Heck he's going to be driving in a couple of years, isn't he?

I grew up in Asheville and I remember riding the bus a few times when I was in 8th or 9th grade (going somewhere to hang out with friends when my parents weren't available or couldn't be bothered to drive).

Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
My middle school aged daughter goes to a charter school with no transportation and lots of kids that go there use the city bus. I think it's fine for that age. I don't know if you have a stop by your home, but I do know that a regular bus goes near Centennial.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,926 times
Lucas is a transportation contractor for Wake County Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary