Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times

Advertisements

I took Greyhound to Wilmington once to pick up a car I was buying. The trip took many hours because it stops in every podunk town between the two cities. The bus was never crowded and it wasn't unpleasant. Other than the fact that it was pretty cheap to ride, that's about the best I can say about the experience. The trip made me appreciate the fact that I was able to own a car, no less a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 PM

226 posts, read 506,845 times
I've ridden the bus a few times and didn't think it was that bad. Even met some very interesting people, including a very attractive young Marine (hubba hubba) who were fun to chat with, which helped kill time. And boy, did it take time. I could have driven to my destination and back in the time it took to make the one-way trip on the bus.

One trip did have an unruly passenger who sassed the driver once too often. The driver brought the bus to a halt in the middle of a long, lonely stretch of woods and told the offender to get off. Literally. I wish I had taken a picture of the look of disbelief on the unruly guy's face when he realized the driver was dead serious. His tail was really between his legs when the bus drove off leaving him standing in the woods.

Any chance you could leave your car home and take the bus to the station, or park it somewhere safe where you could do the same?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:57 AM

9 posts, read 35,092 times
Yeah, its only few select cities and looks like Asheville isn't one of them. I'm drawing a blank on bus operators that go to Asheville . Also check out this thread for suggestions : http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-triangle.html. Its possible Greyhound might be your best bet.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times
On a related note... at one point in the last decade, NCDOT was taking steps toward rail service for both Asheville and Wilmington. But in the last three years, NCDOT has given all its attention to improving rail service Charlotte-Raleigh and the proposed SEHSR extension to Richmond, DC, and NY. Besides, the state budget situation is not conducive to new programs like rail to Asheville and Wilmington. Charlotte-Raleigh and SEHSR are funded by the feds.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,158 times
How long is the ride from Charlotte to new york

Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 AM

In terms of service within NC, Megabus runs Charlotte-Durham three times a day in each direction. Note that Amtrak also runs Charlotte-Durham three times a day in each direction and has a slightly faster trip time (2 hrs 38 mins or 2 hrs 48 mins) than Megabus (3 hrs flat). For a ticket purchased well in advance, Megabus is $24 and Amtrak is $26 each way. Amtrak uses a station in Durham; Megabus uses a street corner. Amtrak allows you to get up, walk around, and visit a snack bar. Easy choice in my mind, but I've seen Megabus sold out.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
My daughter left from Raleigh Friday morning to L.A on a Greyhound Bus. She arrived in L.A. yesterday at 4:00. She said she hated to admit it but that it wasn't all that bad

Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,136 times
I have taken the bus from Durham to Nashville years ago. It was slow, like others said. Just have high acceptance and low expectations and you should be fine. But much faster than walking!
I enjoyed looking out the window at all the little towns the bus would stop at. We didnt get off at all the stops. There were certian stops that were a few minutes longer for smokers. I know we stopped in Asheville.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Amtrak Charlotte-NY is 12 hours if you take the Crescent (overnight) and 14 hours if you take the Carolinian (all daytime). Megabus is 15 or 16 hours. Greyhound is 14-17 hours depending on which route you take.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
My Mom took the bus from Raleigh to Baltimore. She rode overnight and said that they made everyone get off at each stop and get back on. She didn't get much sleep.
Weird, I did not experience that when I did overnight buses on Greyhound. I once did a bus from Vermont to Raleigh. Never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary