Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
This is the other side of the coin. In English, pretty much every adult in my life wanted to be called by first name. Growing up all my parents' friends went by first name and my friends called my parents by first name. It's because that's how they introduced themselves and wanted to be called. Whenever my friends would call my parents Mr./Mrs. they'd insist on their first names. In this instance it would be disrespectful to insist on the title when the person clearly wants to be called by their first name.

As a result I grew up not really being used to using titles in English and it still sounds awkward to me. I think it's important for teachers to remember some kids are raised without anyone ever teaching them about titles or formalities so they shouldn't be offended but instead just focus on giving their students a new space to learn about a different way of doing things.
Easy enough though, to use the terms expected in a given place. I said ma'am and sir to teachers and called them Mr., Mrs., etc. When my baseball coach told me to call him 1st name, I did that. It took awhile to get my parents to approve, but they did later on.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Easy enough though, to use the terms expected in a given place. I said ma'am and sir to teachers and called them Mr., Mrs., etc. When my baseball coach told me to call him 1st name, I did that. It took awhile to get my parents to approve, but they did later on.
I agree, and that's what I do. I avoid sir and ma'am in English not cause I don't want to be polite, but because they never sound right coming off my tongue. People think I'm trying to be facetious when I'm not. I do use Mr./Ms./Dr./Professor when I can, though.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:07 PM

43 posts, read 100,570 times
I think if most of the transplants moved back to the NE, most of the schools would have to close and the least of the teacher's problems would be how she was addressed. Manners are important and it is something I was taught and my children are taught no matter where we decided to call home. "Yeah, Whutt, you godda prahblem wit dat" were never part of our vocabulary, even growing up in Queens, New York! I love North Carolina and am proud to call this home now!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:12 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
In my humble opinion, addressing an elder in a superior position (teacher, etc) as "Ms. Soandso" is far more polite than "ma'am".

Every female is a "ma'am". Only "Ms. Soandso" is Ms. Soandso.

So I'm not really sure why the OP thinks this should be "enforced". Unless they were trying to stir the pot, then we have 15 pages and counting of nothingness.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
In my humble opinion, addressing an elder in a superior position (teacher, etc) as "Ms. Soandso" is far more polite than "ma'am".

Every female is a "ma'am". Only "Ms. Soandso" is Ms. Soandso.

So I'm not really sure why the OP thinks this should be "enforced". Unless they were trying to stir the pot, then we have 15 pages and counting of nothingness.
I thought the OP was wondering if it COULD be enforced.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmi View Post
I think if most of the transplants moved back to the NE, most of the schools would have to close and the least of the teacher's problems would be how she was addressed. Manners are important and it is something I was taught and my children are taught no matter where we decided to call home. "Yeah, Whutt, you godda prahblem wit dat" were never part of our vocabulary, even growing up in Queens, New York! I love North Carolina and am proud to call this home now!
Nah. The schools wouldn't close. They would be less crowded for awhile until some other people moved here.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckee37 View Post
I tend to support whatever the teacher requests as long as he/she is consistent.
Consistent yes.
But that needs to more broadly based than a policy for just one classroom...
or even one school building.

I was raised (up in Yankee land btw) to use ma'am and sir when addressing adults that I didn't know the actual names of. In school, for teachers and principals etc it was almost always Mr or Mrs etc.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Consistent yes.
But that needs to more broadly based than a policy for just one classroom...
or even one school building.

I was raised (up in Yankee land btw) to use ma'am and sir when addressing adults that I didn't know the actual names of. In school, for teachers and principals etc it was almost always Mr or Mrs etc.
Educators have enough to do without the school system telling them what form of polite address is the standard.

It's not like the kids are being penalized for not knowing which teacher prefers which greeting when they first enter a classroom.

In lower grades, you have just ONE main teacher. It's not hard to remember what he/she wants to be called after being reminded a few times during the first couple of weeks of school.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It's not hard to remember what he/she wants to be called after being reminded a few times during the first couple of weeks of school.
eh?

are you saying it's somehow a good practice to have the several groups of 2nd graders at school X being taught to do something so basic in different ways? and that when they move up to 3rd grade there might be a whole other set of standards to learn how to apply?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
eh?

are you saying it's somehow a good practice to have the several groups of 2nd graders at school X being taught to do something so basic in different ways? and that when they move up to 3rd grade there might be a whole other set of standards to learn how to apply?
Yes.

Children aren't idiots.

They learn very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary