Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM

120 posts, read 296,616 times

Advertisements

Hello. Moved to NC about year ago. Grew up at the shore in NJ so I have always been a NJ beach person. Have been to FL, SC, CA, VA beaches and have always assumed that NC was a good mix of all since they have a dozen different beaches and beach towns.

I get the feeling from talking to people that NC beaches are...boring. I not looking for Atlantic City NJ or Virginia Beach type feel with ferries wheels or the cast of Jersey Shore. But I do like the feel of a vacation type beach town - boardwalks, games, fishing, and great seafood beach-ie feel restaurants.

So I guess I have been pushing off the beach visit for this reason. I really don't want to be disappointed. I'm craving the ocean and can use a little push. Anyone have any similar thoughts or positive experiences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,301,356 times
I'm from the Jersey Shore (Belmar / Spring Lake Area). I love the NC beaches. Because of it's proximity to Raleigh I frequent Wrightsville Beach. Beautiful beach surrounded by gorgeous beach homes. I usually eat at the Oceanic for lunch or dinner for some inexpensive but great seafood. (It is right on the beach and has great views).

I can't speak much about the other beaches in NC but Wrightsville doesn't have a boardwalk or arcades ect... FWIW, I couldn't care less about that stuff. What you call boring I call relaxing. I'm not into the carnival side of the beach scene. Now that I am older (in my 30's) going to the beach is all about sun, surf, and relaxing with my feet in the sand. The fact that in NC you can bring beer on to the beach makes it worth it in my book. I like a good game of skeeball as much as the next guy from NJ, but I don't find the NC beaches boring at all.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:33 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,630,278 times
Our beaches are very boring and that is just the way we like them. Go to SC if you want boardwalks, arcades, etc...

Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,612,120 times
Carolina Beach has a small boardwalk but you're not going to find Jenkinson's or Martell's here. Which is A-OK with me to be honest. But you might want to give Carolina Beach a try. I don't eat seafood, but there are seafood restaurants there (I just can't give you my thoughts on them).

I'm with NRG, I was all about the Jersey shore in my 20s and now I try and go to the least crowded parts of the beach

Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 AM

481 posts, read 1,087,162 times
I'm also a fellow NJ girl and while I love the boardwalk at times for my 8 year old daughter I don't want it every time I visit. We went to the Outer banks, which is a longer drive - about 3 1/2 hours. We stayed in Duck which overall the area there is very family friendly, places to shop and eat and beautiful beaches. We also just recently went to Top Sail beach which is only 2 1/2 hours and much more laid back and quiet compared to the outer banks. They purposely did not build it up much, just has beach homes and a small area in Surf City ( which is on the same strip as Top Sail ) with some stores and a few places to eat. Wrightsville beach I heard is nice, but is more crowded now and they have metered parking. Which to me is a pain. I always hated that in NJ..lol. Making sure you have enough quarters...run back before the meter runs out...etc. Myrtle Beach in SC I have not been to yet but would like to for the board walk it has and of course near by golf for my husband

Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,083,211 times
I've always thought your first NC beach trip should be the Outer Banks as its the most unique part of the NC coast in my opinion.

I too grew up going to the Jersey shore. Spent some time in Cape May a couple of years ago and drove up to Wildwood for the day. Not much seemed to have changed in 30 years ...

As others noted, you really won't find big crazy commercial stuff in NC. Myrtle Beach is probably as close as it gets around here.

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 08-08-2011 at 07:40 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,247,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I've always thought your first NC beach trip should be the Outer Banks as its the most unique part of the NC coast in my opinion.

Frank

That is what my wife and I did. 3 years ago our first trip was OBX. TYhe following year we went to Atlantic and Wrightsville. Being from Michigan and the Great Lakes Beaches, we found the NC beaches to be huge and beautiful.

We have been back to OBX and Atlantic several times since..

Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,777,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
I get the feeling from talking to people that NC beaches are...boring. I not looking for Atlantic City NJ or Virginia Beach type feel with ferries wheels or the cast of Jersey Shore. But I do like the feel of a vacation type beach town - boardwalks, games, fishing, and great seafood beach-ie feel restaurants.
There is tons and tons of fishing at the NC coast. And certainly no shortage of seafood restaurants with all that fresh fish coming in. As far as games, depending on the beach, you'll find stuff like mini-golf and maybe go-karts.
But the focus is clearly on the beach and the water.

The majority of the NC beaches are very family friendly. Wrightsville Beach is definitely the biggest draw in the state for a young, singles sort of crowd. And the bars and restaurants are pretty lively later in the day and into the evening. (Haven't been there in years and years, but Atlantic Beach was very crowded in the evenings with cruisers and such the one time I stayed near there).

Myrtle Beach in SC is closer to the Triangle that some of the NC beaches, and it has a boardwalk and pavilions area. And Broadway at the Beach and Barefoot Landing are very popular places off-beach. Those might really appeal to you. Myrtle has lots of nightclubs, too. I spent a lot of weekends in my 20s down there because I had friends working their summers away. Despite the "cheese" factor of a lot of it, there was some definite fun to be had.

These days I just want to hang out on the beach with a cooler full of beer and friends and/or family. Get a quick shower and hit a nearby restaurant for some fresh seafood, and then hit the sack early so I can get up and catch the sunrise.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 AM

165 posts, read 434,718 times
I've not been to shore yet myself. Big questions is: What month(s) are the best months to go if one wants to avoid excessive crowds and at same time avoid risk of hurricanes?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,169,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Myrtle Beach in SC is closer to the Triangle that some of the NC beaches, and it has a boardwalk and pavilions area. And Broadway at the Beach and Barefoot Landing are very popular places off-beach. Those might really appeal to you. Myrtle has lots of nightclubs, too. I spent a lot of weekends in my 20s down there because I had friends working their summers away. Despite the "cheese" factor of a lot of it, there was some definite fun to be had.

Not any longer. There is no Pavilion in Myrtle Beach, they bulldozed it over two years ago. And the boardwalk there, is practically non existent. They tore down half of it to create an open space with benches overlooking the water. Myrtle Beach is trying to become a golf and shopping only destination. Most of the old water slides and go cart tracks are long gone. A handful of miniature golf courses remain. But if you haven't visited Myrtle Beach in 5-10 years, you wouldn't recognize it. The city does not want people loitering around on Ocean Boulevard like in the "old days" when the boulevard was packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary